Tales Of Zumo

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

Sorry about your experience as well.

My unit has been pretty much faultless for a year and half. Just one ctrl alt del (reboot) and one cracked rubber dust cap (garmin fixed) in that time.

I know there have been units returned but do not have any sense of the % or whether there is a fundamental/engineering proplem etc. I also have not really spent any time on "crapped out" threads in the Zumoforums as I was ok.

When I was investigating other GPS units before I got the Zumo, I found that there were issues with many GPS units........even on Wings which tout a smooth ride and protection. Actually the latest/greatest was part of my rationale for the Zumo as I assumed all Garmins MC lessons learned would be rolled into the 550.

However, I also have found probelms with just about every product/MC especially on the forums I frequent. Unfortunately when it is you instead of the other guy it .............sucks. Even our beloved VFRs have let some of us down.

Chev - I would be interested to know if you upgraded your maps/firmware just before your trip. And I have to believe there is a way to recover your trip logs.............somehow.

Sorry not much help here.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer
Hard reset: First turn the unit OFF, then HOLD your thumb on the furthest bottom right hand corner of the screen, push as far into the corner as you can on the screen itself. While holding your thumb/finger on the screen press and hold the POWER ON button until you see the ZUMO splash screen, once the splash screen is up you can release the power, but continue to hold your thumb in the right corner of the screen for another 5 - 10 seconds, you should see a window that pops up and asks "Do you really want to erase all user data?", make sure to answer YES to this window

This is interesting. No one at Garmin mentioned that. I tried it and it didn't work either.

I've thought about it, and I have decided that Garmin needs to get my data back. It is their obligation to me at this point. I will publicaly thrash Garmin for a long time if they do not.

I cannot believe that they would allow such poor quality control on these units. I could understand if this was a $100 or even a $250 dollar unit, but this is the flagship. It is simple production control. Keep quality highest on the most expensive/lower output units. There is no excuse for low quality control here, absolutely none.

I even heard one of the first people tell me that something must have vibrated loose....... understandable, except that they advertise this as vibration resistant/proof. I ended up hanging up on that guy when he sarcastically told me he wasn't allowed to hand deliver a unit to my vacation location.

Speaking of which, call Garmin customer support sometime. 30-35 minute wait is standard, and they do not have a separate option for Zumo. So you wait in line behind all the grocery getting units not stranded on the side of the the road a thousand miles from a computer or home, as the hold music switches to 'get online and there is no waiting." That's just insulting if you are at a Burger King asking them if you can use a plug-in to try the wall charger anyway.

Ohh and the guy I spoke to yesterday told me he would call me back in 30 minutes while I looked for my paperwork (I did just move and that was a challenge), but he never called me back. I called his direct line and left a voicemail. If he doesn't call by noon, I may just storm into Garmin HQ and show them my level of irritation personally.

I found the reset instructions in zumoforums.com

That's a good place you can go look for information and/or post about your bad experience with the Z.

Maybe they can help you recover your data.

My Z has been flawless until now, but your experience makes me consider back up procedures just in case.

Hope there is a satisfactory ending to this.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

OK.......... I just tried another RAM setup for the Tank mount.

I found that often with my stem mounted electrical outlet, I do not have room for some plug ins especially when I use my BMW/Cig adapter. With a straight BMW plug I had no no problem but I made another change so I can better use the Cig dodads.

First a Short ARM (comes with Zumo package) goes to the Tank ball Mount ............then the two balls (familiar?????) RAM extensioin and then a Med Arm to the Zumo cradle. THis setup is a little longer than the Long Arm and gives you more options for positioning..........very important when you have a large tank bag. This gives me adequate room for the electrical stuff and also allows excellent Zumo viewing without blocking the instruments. In this shot, I have the BMW/Cig adapter and the 12DC charger for my cell.

med_gallery_2144_2760_204565.jpg

Next up a quick review of an external amp and more lessons learned from the road.

• Member Contributer

I found that often with my stem mounted electrical outlet, I do not have room for some plug ins especially when I use my BMW/Cig adapter. With a straight BMW plug I had no no problem but I made another change so I can better use the Cig dodads.

I had Jastek make up a right angle plug to solve that problem. In fact, I had them fashion a split plug to the Zumo and the Sirius, so I can pull the Zumo as needed without messing with the mount. . .. Works well. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I had Jastek make up a right angle plug to solve that problem. In fact, I had them fashion a split plug to the Zumo and the Sirius, so I can pull the Zumo as needed without messing with the mount. . .. Works well. :fing02:

Got a pic?? I have heard Jastek is pretty accomodating. I have a hard wire to the Zumo already so the Jastek mount/plug is for the other stuff like the cell and new amp.

Here is another shot of the Zumo and twoballs sans tankbag.

Bonus question where is this?

med_gallery_2144_2760_232029.jpg

• Member Contributer
Sorry about your experience as well.

My unit has been pretty much faultless for a year and half. Just one ctrl alt del (reboot) and one cracked rubber dust cap (garmin fixed) in that time.

Mine has been a champ too. SOrry to hear about your Z dying Chev...I would have to say that failure would be very low for the Garmins as a whole. Regardless, sucks about your trip data too sad.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The Amplirider

When I use earplugs on the VFR, I have noticed that when I listen to the Zumo using my helmet speakers the volume is a touch soft especially with my noisy HJC flip up helmet. A noisy helmet also correlates with speed I hear.

After months of investigation, I purchased an Amplirider (would you believe an Amp for MC riders) to boost the power and to integrate a radar detector downstream. It can handle three audio inputs. The basic criterion was that it had to be errrrrrrrrrr cheap…about 50 bucks. This was a lot less than another option the Mixit2 amp. No Intercom or other features were required as I never ride two-up on the VFR …………I save that for the Wing.

It Works!

ar1.jpg

On my recent Sierra tours and VFR/Silverado escapades I tried out the system but did not hard wire it to my Tankbag. I used a dual purpose plug (Powerlet or Cigar) to my stem mount plug. The dual capability plugs allows me to use it on any bike with a power receptacle. There is no battery backup. In the future, I may use a quick disconnect SAE plug kit from Powerlet and keep the unit in the Tank bag.

One of the best features of the unit is that it has a remote volume control which is analog. This has the advantage of allowing an almost instantaneous mute which is kind of nice when fellow time riders are asking me where the Hell we are. The remote is a lot faster to use than fooling with the vol on the Zumo itself. I am spoiled by the Wings Mute button on the left bars as well as the two vol controls to boost the Zumo volume. Now the VFR essentially sports the same capability.

Remote Volume Control on left front side of bag. The actual unit is tucked in my sunglass holder.

2513398040099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Besides wiring the power you need a male/male 3.5 mm plug to hook the sound from the MC mount to the Amp. Any headset/earbuds will work with the Amplirider as long as it has a 3.5mm male insert.

At rest, I have noticed a slight hiss in the audio when the MP3s are playing. Gary the proprietor of Electric Avenues says I should move the unit around a bit to test and if that does not work get an inline power supply filter. I have not investigated this option yet as the hiss is not noticeable once you are underway.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I just upgraded my original Zumo maps to City Navigator NT 2009. I used the DVD upgrade. On the PC, I upgraded the maps in Mapsource application as well. All went smoothly. Most likely I will upgrade every two years.

pt-citynavnt080225.jpg

I am running Mapsource version 6.13.7 on the PC. Many have complained about the latest version 6.14.1 ...................too slow they say. I put 6.14 on a new laptop (7th gen with more cc/power and lots of inteltec fuel/power saving features and larger hardbags) and it runs ok. Probably will leave it alone for a while.

• Member Contributer
I heard Garmin finally also offer the map updates to be downloaded instead of shipping them on DVD. Sounds good as my experience is that shipping takes months :fing02:

Took a week maybe to get the DVD. You can download as well but I went with the DVD as I was switching/adding computers and wanted to make sure I had a "bird in the hand".

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just got my Zumo 550 setup and installed my Ed Set headset and mic. Thought I might share some pics of the helmet setup.

Gave it a quick test and everything seems well. Sound level from the Garmin Zumo 550 is somewhat low but I think an amplifier as mentioned above would be needed to correct that. If you notice the location I have the Microphone. The large mic I got did not work well in the from chinguard of my Nolan N102 modular flip up helmet but the location on the left side in the front worked well. I tested it in the garage with a radio on and the bike running while talking on the phone through the Zumo with no problem.

Thanks for this thread it help me make my decisions.

DSC02331.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02334.jpg

• Member Contributer
Just got my Zumo 550 setup and installed my Ed Set headset and mic. Thought I might share some pics of the helmet setup.

Gave it a quick test and everything seems well. Sound level from the Garmin Zumo 550 is somewhat low but I think an amplifier as mentioned above would be needed to correct that.

Before you buy an amp make sure you have both vol controls on the Zumo to max. Most people initially only adjust the balance and not the main vol control.

I just broke my headset , so I will probably buy an edset rig. Give us a report when you test it out.

• Member Contributer
That microphone poses a serious threat to your eye. Why didn't you buy the tab mounted gooseneck boom mic. that is designed for use with flip-up helmets?

I thought that was the one I picked but when I checked my order I picked the wrong one.

This setup actually works well I called the wife while riding home and she had no problems hearing me and I had not problems hearing her.

I may order the boom mic later but this set up seems to work well. The mic looks more obtrusive than it really is and I dont have to worry about the boom being in the way.

For the music I did adjust both volumes on the Zumo. Me reffering to the sound level being low is probally a totaly personal view as

I just like to listen to the music at very lound and detrimental to my hearing levels at times. It helps to clear my mind and bring me peace. I was thinking of when I was going for a long ride and wanted to ROCK I could put my earphones in. They dont have to be set a as high of a volume and I think I could still hear the Zumo.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
New Zumo 660 released at CES in Vegas. It is on the Garmin stie.

Figures, I just get the 550 and start using it and a newer, better, cheaper model comes out - Damn-it :huh:

• Member Contributer

Figures, I just get the 550 and start using it and a newer, better, cheaper model comes out - Damn-it :huh:

Don't panic ..............folks are just dissecting the features now.............may not be better for the way you want to use it.

• Member Contributer

Don't panic ..............folks are just dissecting the features now.............may not be better for the way you want to use it.

shows to allow fewer stored routes (10 as opposed to 50 on the 550), no XM, no Hard buttons on the case. Wider screen, but they put glove freindly buttons on screen, so to me that is a moot point. Still wanna see the mounting hardware included.

Enjoy your new 550, I have for the last 2 years, great unit!

Once the dust settle on the 660, I 'might' pick on up for my VFR. For now, I can live with swappingmy 550 between the 3 bikes when needed.

• Member Contributer

I swap between three too. Not really a problem though.

No reason to jump ship now as I still like the Zumo 550. This could turn into a real 5th versus 6th gen debate.

The gear driven cams are better on the 550 but the new 660 has stereo BT and some other stuff. More F...ing batteries on tour? :huh:

Newer and better maybe, but cheaper........I don't think so, at least according to what I've read....

"The Garmin Zumo 660 is expected to ship in Q1 2009 for a pricey $799.99. "

It does look like a nice unit though......but that is a LOT of money!

• Member Contributer

Newer and better maybe, but cheaper........I don't think so, at least according to what I've read....

"The Garmin Zumo 660 is expected to ship in Q1 2009 for a pricey $799.99. "

It does look like a nice unit though......but that is a LOT of money!

True, but on Garmin's site it list retail price for the 550 at $950 and the new 660 at $800. Once the 660 gets out more in mainstream the price may be cheaper than the 550, but that is likely to also drive the 550 price down as it is an older unit.

I like the bigger screen (and better resolution), the hard buttons I may miss if the touch screen on the 660 does not work well with gloves. I would definitely like stereo BT as well but am fine being wired to my 550 (using EdSets hardware now).

I wonder if Garmin will put out a firmware update to the 550 that utilizes any of the new code from the 660? Stuff like the Lane Assist, Seed Limit Notification, Where Am I?, and the Qwerty touch screen would be a nice upgrade to the 550.