Added A New Button

chris2992

• Member Contributer

Yep, quite simple actually, hardest part was drilling a 1/2" hole in the cap without breaking or scratching the cap. Just take your time and step up in 1/16" incraments on your bits.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wingspan

This is one of those projects that I've been talking about doing for a few years, but never got around to. I had the afternoon off today, and so finally rigged my bikes with openers.

I've got one of the Craftsman openers with the blue-green opener buttons. Here is how I did mine:

Unmodified opener next to finished unit:

openers%20001.jpg

Close up on wire attachment points:

openers%20009.jpg

As you can see, I just soldered the wires to two of the switch pin locations, then opened a small area on the end for the wires to pass through with a dremel tool. The wires terminate about two inches outside the opener with a molex connector. The external buttons all still work and the mod is actually reversible, except for the wire pass through hole.

Opener in the tail:

openers%20010.jpg

Finally, just as with chris2992, the stem plug seemed like a perfect location:

openers%20013.jpg

Once I finished the VFR, I did a repeat of the process on my RSVR. It's button is in the dash cover, though. smile.gif

Edited by Wingspan

Guest Wingspan

One thing to be aware of. When I finished this mod everything worked perfectly. However, once I started the bike the garage door went crazy,opening and closing by itself. I spent about 1/2 hour looking for nicked or broken wires, etc. As it turns out, when I routed the wires from the button back to the tail they went alongside one of the ignition coils and that was causing the mischief. Simply rerouting the wires a few inches away remedied the situation. smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I just keep the opener in my left side jacket pocket and tap it as I'm rolling down the street toward my house. But I like the wired to the bike idea too!

This is the 'preferred' method of the ultimate lazy man! I am so lazy it took me 45 minutes to replace my Honda AF with a new K&N! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the wonderful info, guys! Your pics and instructions made this mod a real piece of cake!

I ended up mounting my door opener inside the left fairing. It allowed for a short route, with plenty of mounting space (non-abs). :thumbsup:

You're awesome! :thumbsup: Thank you! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Only drawback I see to the stem button is the interference with a head stand. If you use a head stand you would have to locate the momentary switch elsewhere on the bike.

• 2 weeks later...
Only drawback I see to the stem button is the interference with a head stand. If you use a head stand you would have to locate the momentary switch elsewhere on the bike.

Hmmm.. drawbacks...

After dropping my bike the other day while braking/indicating/turning/opening the garage, I'm thinking I'll convert my garage door opener button to a missile launcher button, and hook the garage door opener to the headlight flasher.

As I originally planned. <_<

The right thumb doesn't need extra work to do.