Installing Radar's Custom Sliders - Black Bases

KanadianKen

OK - here's the photos with fairings on, and it's all buttoned up. Great fit - spacing off the fairing is very good. Looks great!!

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4081.jpg

THe last two pics are a bit blurry - I guess the auto focus didn't know where I wanted it to look... the gap is likely about 5/32" maybe a touch smaller - off the plastic.

Sorry for the "boring" pics for those that aren't interested. However - I think that there is enough interest to benefit those other snowbound folks to help the grey matter keep thinking up ways of tweaking their ride before the snow thaws...... :thumbsup:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken & Radar (Darren),

Congrats on what seems to be an awesome product and installation. I'm completely impressed with the machining and the thought that went into the design.

I would ride my '04 to Saskatoon and pay for a full install if that is ever a service that Radar offers.

Well done guys!

Zub

Zub, I'm also from Edmonton. Would definately ride my 02 to Saskatoon too to get them installed as well.

Well now, that makes 3 in Edmonton - I was talking to Travis this weekend and he's up for the install as well. It'd be great to ride out with company! Now, off to look at that coolant bottle!

• Member Contributer

Just a quick update for those that are waiting patiently, Rouse was kind enough to order the engine bolts for me from Honda, I ordered 10 of both 5th gen and 6th gen to get a good start, hopefully I will have them in a couple of weeks, my black delrin showed up last week so I will do run of sliders starting this weekend, ss arbor bolts are on the way to me, the red arbors were picked up from the anodizer this morning and they turned out great, so I will be offering 6th gen in red and black. I will also have a couple sets in blue, but will not be offering them after there gone. 5th gen arbors will all be black as the arbor can not be seen.

So I am not far away from having the first batch ready for shipping. I will post prices soon, I am waiting to see what the cost of the engine bolts will end up landing at with shipping , duty and whatever else the gov tries to get from me. Thanks for your patience guys, and you will here from me soon.

Darren

Awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Would like to put my name in the lineup for a set with black on black.

I have no issues with being number ONE on the waitng list :goofy:

When you have the price/shipping/payment issues all settled out, please PM me.

Much success with your endeavour!!! :thumbsup:

Greg

• Member Contributer
Ken & Radar (Darren),

Congrats on what seems to be an awesome product and installation. I'm completely impressed with the machining and the thought that went into the design.

I would ride my '04 to Saskatoon and pay for a full install if that is ever a service that Radar offers.

Well done guys!

Zub

Zub, I'm also from Edmonton. Would definately ride my 02 to Saskatoon too to get them installed as well.

Well now, that makes 3 in Edmonton - I was talking to Travis this weekend and he's up for the install as well. It'd be great to ride out with company! Now, off to look at that coolant bottle!

And we have all 6th Gens as well. We should be experts at the end of it all. BTW...I'm ok with letting you guys do the install/cuttings on your bikes first, before we get to mine.....LOL

• Member Contributer
Ken & Radar (Darren),

Well done guys!

Zub

And we have all 6th Gens as well. We should be experts at the end of it all. BTW...I'm ok with letting you guys do the install/cuttings on your bikes first, before we get to mine.....LOL

This is starting to sound like a party, and I'm game, an afternoon of installing , then beer drinking time with good food and company.

The coolant bottles are not hard to modify either, I was thinking of doing a how-to, anybody want to send there bottle ahead of time while there still is snow on the ground

I might send you my bottle Darren!! I have the patience for "Artistic" crafts about as much as a bull has patience in a china shop...... <_< :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I might send you my bottle Darren!! I have the patience for "Artistic" crafts about as much as a bull has patience in a china shop...... <_< :thumbsup:

Put it in the mail dude, and I will have it back to you ASAP.

• Member Contributer

Hijack.

In answer to a previous question,...It was Tiny minds, that put the trim in the hole opening. I Have done the same. Thanks for the tips, Jason. Don't think it would work for this application, as the Dia. of the hole is much smaller, and the trim was rigid enought to make it semi-difficult to apply per Motavation sliders.

Did I mention that you guys rock? :thumbsup: All hail the flip-tops!

• Member Contributer

Oh come on Ken, you've drilled holes in your fairing.... drill a hole in your bottle :thumbsup:

Oh come on Ken, you've drilled holes in your fairing.... drill a hole in your bottle :thumbsup:

that parts done Gary - now I have to fix that hole up..... Polyethylene doesn't like glue, adhesive, contact cement, or pretty much any other way to stick it together - except Plastic Welding. I messed up a trial bottle - and I don't want to booger up the real one.....

• Member Contributer

that parts done Gary - now I have to fix that hole up..... Polyethylene doesn't like glue, adhesive, contact cement, or pretty much any other way to stick it together - except Plastic Welding. I messed up a trial bottle - and I don't want to booger up the real one.....

What about silicone? did you mess up the trial bottle or just cant get the piece to adhere? Try some double bubble :goofy:

• Member Contributer

C.A. PERIOD. NO QUESTION. IT WILL WORK.

CA huh? never thought of that. I'll see if I can find some here in town. I assume it melts the pieces together? I tried a torch for kicks on the trial bottle- turned the coolant bottle clear - and very malleable.

Model glue. will give that a try first before giving up! thanks. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Go to the local hobbie shop. (Seb.'s got it). A gel type superglue. Hell I took my air compressor to it, At 30 psi, (not consistant), and layed my bike on it's side. NOT ANY PROBLEMS. I tried epoxy, silicone, shoo goo. C.A. proved out + 10 fold.

Go to the local hobbie shop. (Seb.'s got it). A gel type superglue. Hell I took my air compressor to it, At 30 psi, (not consistant), and layed my bike on it's side. NOT ANY PROBLEMS. I tried epoxy, silicone, shoo goo. C.A. proved out + 10 fold.

THanks Trav - I'll give that a shot!! Appreciate the heads up.

Will it work with dissimilar materials? Meaning I have Polyethylene coolant bottle - and Clear PVC hose to weld together......

• Member Contributer
C.A. PERIOD. NO QUESTION. IT WILL WORK.

As in cyanoacrilate, aka plastic model glue. Maybe the gel type would work best, to fill any small voids?

Those are two completely different types of adhesive.

Plastic model glue is made to melt/weld styrene plastic, the type of plastic in model cars and planes.

CA or cyanoacrylate is commonly referred as "super glue" and activates with moisture. It isn't designed to melt stuff. It's the stuff that glues your fingers together. The CA glues that I've used don't work well with the type of plastic that is used on the overflow bottle. There are plastic CA glues, but I haven't used them. I know of CA's that are formulated to glue styrene, ABS, acrylics, and a few others, but the stuff you find at the local department store won't work well for the overflow bottle.

Here's one brand...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hca/hcahcar3417.htm

hcahcar3417.jpg

• Member Contributer
CA huh? never thought of that.

You've never heard of Canada? :goofy:

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Ken, if regular old thick gap filling CA will work with the poly bottles, I've got some here. You've just got to drive your ass down here and get it. Bring some Sleeman's while you're at it. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, drop by your local mom and pop hobby shop that handles R/C airplanes and cars and show them the kind of plastic you are wanting to glue. They will be able to hook you up with the right kind of CA. Don't go to a chain hobby store. The people that work in them don't know their ass from a horse....(that's how mules were invented, btw)

Don't let them sell you any debonder, it's just acetone. If you need to unstick your fingers or clean up some CA, just use your wife's fingernail polish remover WITH acetone. If she only has the kind without acetone, you will have to use your own stash of fingernail polish remover. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Tbzep,

Granted, the hobie shops, can be full of schlubs. Not all are. Like going to a dealer and asking what they know about vtech.

I used this,....gallery_2922_1722_2344.jpg

100_3728.JPG

Not your average, "Testors", model glue. Not sure of all of the differences, (chemicaly), But this stuff, I have had no problems with. Everything else Flexed, and peeeled. I suppose plastic weld would be best. As I poster in the Motavation thread, I have a plastic welder, but didn't want to go beyond what I could re-do, If I screwed something up, with my only coolant bottle. :thumbsup:

Right kind, or not, this stuff went through hell, never lost a drop and never broke down.

• Member Contributer

Why wouldn't silicone work on the over flow bottle? It's not under any pressure and just needs to be sealed no? :goofy: .

• Member Contributer
Why wouldn't silicone work on the over flow bottle? It's not under any pressure and just needs to be sealed no? :goofy: .

Many claim they have had no problem, with it. I found that the blush surface of the plastis caused the silicone not to adhere. (Got all flappy, on me, even though I pre sanded the surface areas, that were gonna have silicone on them).