Installing Radar's Custom Sliders - Black Bases

KanadianKen

Anyone tried PVC pipe glue? It melts plastics together much like model glues do. It may very well work and nearly all hardware stores have a small bottle in the plumbing area for just a couple of bucks. Just a thought.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might work for the 3rd Gens as well? BMV - lets cut some holes in that fairing!!!!

What are you trying to tell me??? Besides me being a light weight with the beer, did Lobster say anything about my riding???. It was a long week, honest!! Damn American drank more CDN beer than me! :goofy:

Ken, by myself, I wouldn't even attempt that!! Great looking job. Very slick! I'd give it a go, but you'd have to promise not to dremel my fender. Cbar would shudder from Down Under!! LSFD!! :P

Would this be a prototype install for 3rd gens????? I have the fairings off right now. I'll check to see where the engine mounts are for the 3rd gen.

Radar, great product! Good luck!

This website and the members rock!!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
This might work for the 3rd Gens as well? BMV - lets cut some holes in that fairing!!!!

What are you trying to tell me??? Besides me being a light weight with the beer, did Lobster say anything about my riding???. It was a long week, honest!! Damn American drank more CDN beer than me! :goofy:

Ken, by myself, I wouldn't even attempt that!! Great looking job. Very slick! I'd give it a go, but you'd have to promise not to dremel my fender. Cbar would shudder from Down Under!! LSFD!! :P

Would this be a prototype install for 3rd gens????? I have the fairings off right now. I'll check to see where the engine mounts are for the 3rd gen.

The place to put it on a 3rd~4th gen would be this bolt:

HPIM3864.jpg

so the area to "seat" the aluminium peg is completely different from 5th~6th gen.

pity that shipping and tax makes this a non-option for me over here....

but good luck if Radar goes 3/4th gen as well, them sliders look the bizniz :thumbsup:

I picked up some Loctite Super Glue:

"All Plastics Guaranteed"

Loctite ALL Plastics

It was $6.00 at the local Ukrainian Tire, but the difference with this one - is that it states explicitly that it bonds polyethylene - which is what the coolant bottle is made out of. The other "Super Glues" said that they didn't work well with polyethylene.

I haven't tried it yet - but I'm hopeful that it is the ticket.. I'll report back after my attempt. :thumbsup:

Lobster did mention something about "those that can - do, those that can't - TEACH" I'm not sure what he meant until I saw you at the bike show..... :goofy: Just kidding.

I'd gladly take a look at your bike to see if we could rig a set up on your 3rd Gen. ANd didn't you hear - CBAR has a 5th gen now - and its fender is gone. He's long over the fender apprehension.... Bwa Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

• Member Contributer

After I have taken care of those waiting for 5th and 6th gen, (started a batch of 50 sets today), then I will give the 3rd and 4th gen a go, first impression is they will have to be a completely different design but I am willing to try.

Well - is anyone else here also more "mechanical" than "artistic" -------- like myself? I don't do well with arts and crafts sh#t!!!

I managed to cut the notch out of the tank bottle, and also cut a matching "patch" from a polyethylene scoop that fits the contour. After some dremal sanding, and tweaking the fit - I cleaned the bottle out by running water through it many times.

Got the Loctite super de dooper all plastics CA out - and went at it.

Managed to get superglue on four locations on my right hand - luckily none of them stuck to each other..... I'm a dumbass!!!

ANyway - the patch seems to have held - but it isn't watertight. I have some very small pin holes to fill somehow. I'm goign to try to drip some of the activator in the pinholes - then a drop of glue and see if that does the trick.

Failing that - I might try a soldering iron very carefully to melt the hole together.

HOnda should make these bottles from factory with the notch gone - the bottle are never going to see coolant up that high anyway. ?

EDIT - I have sealed the holes with additional activator and glue. It is watertight now. If I had to do this again, it would go a lot smoother. Additionally - I likely would have used a lighter "patch" material - something like the material found in a windshield fluid bottle - much more workable. :beer:

""" Lobster did mention something about "those that can - do, those that can't - TEACH" I'm not sure what he meant until I saw you at the bike show..... :rolleyes: Just kidding. """"

Next thing you know, I'll be teaching gym! :D

Looks to be a tougher fit for the 3rd gen. The mounting bolt configuration is completely different. 17years ago the Honda guys weren't thinking about stuff like that. I'll wait to see if Radar can come up with any ideas.

Cheers.

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

First of all, coodos to Radar for coming up with such a great product!

Radar, you're da man! :thumbsup:

Ken, you too for posting such a nice write-up :thumbsup:

Regarding gluing the coolant bottle - Has anyone tried a hot glue gun?

It seems to me that this would be the perfect colution. It uses polyethylene-based glue sticks.

I have one at home and use it on many different applications. Once cooled, the glue does not harden too much - it is still as flexible as regular plastic. This means that it will not crack and chip away with time.

It also sticks and holds like a mofo - no way it will ever come off, especially in this case, weher there is no real temperature or pressure applied. Normally, the coolant never reaches this high any way.

It is cheap too. I picked one up at the local hardware store for about $20.

Now, about the sliders themselves.

I have not seen the price for the kit yet. Radar, if you have not come up with it yet, I, and others I'm sure, are patiently awaiting...

I am very much interested in buying one, so please, please, please ...

The spring's a comin and it will be time to put the bikes together soon...

• Member Contributer

Radar, I'm very interested in a 5th gen set. I'll PM you to confirm once you have the prices posted.

I don't think ripped on BMV's riding, but I'm quite sure I probably made a comment or two about his barley soda consumption ability. I thought if any of you Canucks got caught being out drunk by an American that it was grounds for deportation?

Guest 767fixer
ANyway - the patch seems to have held - but it isn't watertight. I have some very small pin holes to fill somehow. I'm goign to try to drip some of the activator in the pinholes - then a drop of glue and see if that does the trick.

Failing that - I might try a soldering iron very carefully to melt the hole together.

Ken, using a soldering iron is easy. use a flat tip about 5/32 wide (my pencil iron came with 10 different tips) let it get real hot and just drag the iron across the seam. i just had to do someting similiar od my led light for my fender eliminator. it will melt together and be watertight

Ken, using a soldering iron is easy. use a flat tip about 5/32 wide (my pencil iron came with 10 different tips) let it get real hot and just drag the iron across the seam. i just had to do someting similiar od my led light for my fender eliminator. it will melt together and be watertight

Fixer - its watertight now. I added some more of the activator and the glue - it worked great. Radar used a soldering iron on his. I might try it for fun on the spare bottle I"ve already messed up.

:thumbsup:

Guest 767fixer
Fixer - its watertight now. I added some more of the activator and the glue - it worked great. Radar used a soldering iron on his. I might try it for fun on the spare bottle I"ve already messed up.

ken, my only fear is that the glue actually doesnt melt the plastic and over time vibration may split the seam.

ken, my only fear is that the glue actually doesnt melt the plastic and over time vibration may split the seam.

Good point. Maybe I'll do the "overkill" and get the soldering iron out. thanks Gixer!!

Solid advice here! :rolleyes:

Hence the name, Fixer. :thumbsup:

I've gone over the seams with my wifes curling iron - that is what you said to do - right Fixer?

Ok - I hit the seams with the soldering iron, and after a bit - it became smoother and easier to judge the time to heat it - and to make it flow nice.

All done.

Water tight - vibrations - bring it!!! Wasn't that hard after all. :thumbsup:

Guest 767fixer
I've gone over the seams with my wifes curling iron - that is what you said to do - right Fixer?

Ok - I hit the seams with the soldering iron, and after a bit - it became smoother and easier to judge the time to heat it - and to make it flow nice.

All done.

Water tight - vibrations - bring it!!! Wasn't that hard after all. :thumbsup:

and i dont even charge a consultation fee!

Guest nasadiver

radar - Beautiful work Ken - great write-up

I would definitely like to get on the waiting list for the sliders (Black bobbins/base - 6th gen).

Let me know if I need to PM you with contact info. Let me know a total price and will send payment as soon as they are available for purchase.

Again,....sweet work. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Shaun

So, not to be completely pessimistic, but has anyone put these sliders to the test yet?

Curious if they hold up or snap off. I had a set of plastic sliders on my previous bike and they snapped on impact, trashed the fairing somewhat anyway. (lay down, not just a drop) Plus I had to deal with a bent bolt inside the engine mount.

These look great, just doing some info gathering since the VFR is a bit more of a pain to get sliders for than some other machines.

• Member Contributer
So, not to be completely pessimistic, but has anyone put these sliders to the test yet?

Curious if they hold up or snap off. I had a set of plastic sliders on my previous bike and they snapped on impact, trashed the fairing somewhat anyway. (lay down, not just a drop) Plus I had to deal with a bent bolt inside the engine mount.

These look great, just doing some info gathering since the VFR is a bit more of a pain to get sliders for than some other machines.

First sorry for not answering this sooner, haven't checked this thread for awhile, so to answer your question, no they have not been tested with a laydown, all I can tell you is that alot of thought has gone into producing these with the best materials that I had avialable, from 6061 alum. arbors to 18-8 ss bolts and delrin sliders. The chances of having these snap off are slim to non, there has been some redundancy built into them in that if to large of side impact is exerted that they will bend (for example laying down bike then hitting sliders into curb) this is there to try to prevent cracking the frame.

• Member Contributer

ya, i was about to ask the same thing. i think the weak link might be the aluminum stubs where they attach to the engine bolt.

Why not just have a special hardened bolt made that is longer? that way you could bolt tthe sliders straight to it.

aluminum tends to bend and crack and alum threads tend to give up in an impact situation.

just a thought.

• Member Contributer
KK,

mebe a little filet of JB Weld over the seam for added structure.

Could'nt hoit,

Cheers, . .. . . . ..

Maybe a bit of duct tape on the outside seams too, for that added insurance. :rolleyes:

I can't believe that I missed this topic a short while back. Awesome job guys! I can see where it would get very nerve-wracking cutting into the fairing. I know I would be nervous as all get up. They look great guys!

Any idears on price, if any are left??

• Member Contributer

I would love to post my thoughts on Radar's sliders but it seems Canada Post wins the sluggishness contest with USPS. According to their website, they've been at the trasfer center in Missasauga (or however the hell it's spelled..) since Tuesday...

I would love to post my thoughts on Radar's sliders but it seems Canada Post wins the sluggishness contest with USPS. According to their website, they've been at the trasfer center in Missasauga (or however the hell it's spelled..) since Tuesday...

Got mine today via Canaduh Snail Mail.... AWESOME PACKING JOB, RADAR!!! :thumbsup:

Very high quality, just a few questions...... what are the three bigger flat washers for?

Also, for what it's worth, A brief instruction sheet might have answered this :rolleyes: , and although I went to the start to follow KKens' instructions, I couldn't find the washer locations anywhere.

Any ideas KK?/Radar?

I think those drilling spacers are gonna make this SCREWPROOF! :salesman:

I'll report on the progress and if you don't hear from me, I will probably be somewhere JUMPING OFF A CLIFF, CUZ I DID SCREW IT :beer: