Flashing Brake Light Question!

tinyminds

I hooked up a flasher relay to my upper rear brake light, so it will flash when I'm stopping to catch more peoples attention. It works ok, seem to flash faster sometimes than others though. Any idea's? Its a 2 post flasher relay, +input and +output, just interrupted the 'green/yellow' taillight ( brakelight) wire to make it flash. Do you think its a lack of current to the light making it not flash very fast at times? Anyone else attempted this, if so which flasher relay did you use? I used some $4 autozone one just to test it out and see if it would work the way I assumed it would. Wonder how flashing brake light filament will effect bulb life?

• Member Contributer

How much faster? Is it an actual relay or solid state? Bulb life, I couldn't comment on. I'm using LED replacement bulbs, and an amprite solid state relay.

How much faster? Is it an actual relay or solid state? Bulb life, I couldn't comment on. I'm using LED replacement bulbs, and an amprite solid state relay.

Well most of the time, it flashes maybe 3 times ( on / off, on / off, on / off ) a second, but occasionally it will do maybe 1-1/2 flashes a second ( on / off / on ). Of course this is with the bike not running, sitting my my garage.

This isn't a pic of the exact one I have, but its the same principle.

a4_1.JPG

• Member Contributer

Electrical is not my thing, but that is definatly an old school relay. I would think with the bike at idle, you would have some timing variance. I have more amprites, if you're interested. (They would only sell in bulk). They'll flash 7-9 times, then go solid.

Normal flasher relays are made to be used with a certain load (number of bulbs on them). If you change the bulb wattage (load) it changes the cycle rate. The more current pulled through the flasher, the more heat and the quicker it will open the contacts. I would assume a difference in supply voltage would do the same thing (12V vs 14V). Heavy Duty flashers do not do this though. They have a constant cycle rate no matter how much load you put on them. Just think if you ever had to hook a trailer up to your vehicle and the turn signals started flashing faster because of the extra trailer bulb. The fix was to put a heavy duty flasher in the car. Of course this is just a guess on my part of why you are seeing different flash rates, but if you are really worried about it, try the different flasher.

Archived