Surging Surging Surging!

NVR2L8

• Member Contributer

I've just posted You see but you do not observe (aimed at myself). After three months of anguish, I've finally fixed my surging problem - it was staring me in the face.

Not saying this is your problem but worth a look for sure.

Ciao

• Member Contributer

Some EFI systems will keep the injectors open longer when the battery is low. Rationale is the lower voltage will result in the injector solenoid operating more slowly than normal, so leaving it open longer will compensate for the extra time required to open.

It could have been overcompensating and running the engine rich,, resulting in your surging at the low end. Maybe.

Surging sucks. :o(

• 11 months later...

I have a similar surging issue. One of the questions I have was answered. Mine is an 06. When it is cold it starts and idles very well. When it gets to operating temperature it starts surging. If is was a car I would suspect the Throttle Position Sensor. That is the question that was answered. Yes, the bike does have one. Next question, Where is it? How do I get to it to clean it and see if that is my problem. I did take it to a local Dealership. They were no help at all. There are only 3 VFR's, that I know of, in the Sate of Utah. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi everyone,

2007 RWB VFR800, 33,000 miles, completely stock, no modifications

I will add my experience to this thread. I just tuned the starter jets on the four throttle bodies this past weekend. The bike was surging terribly, idle went from

@ 1,500 - 1,000.. I bought the Carbtune equipment, printed the manual and dug into this problem. After preparing everything and finally getting the Carbtune PRO tool hooked up, I started the bike. Well, looking at the Carbtune PRO tool, it was an OMG moment. No wonder this bike doesn't run right. Let's just say they were not in alignment. After about 30 or so minutes, finally got all throttle bodies to within .5 cmHG of each other. (Had fan blowing on engine ) The bike idles smoothly and twisting the throttle is very responsive. I am thrilled..

🙂

I also noticed that my bike had two short stacks up front and two long stacks in the rear. (Bought new, this is how it came from factory). Others had commented that this was not correct and indeed the manual shows a short, long up front and a long, short in rear. I changed them accordingly. I am thinking the worker doing the assembly just put short in front and long in rear.

Thanks for all previous comments and help,

Bill Mersch aka MisterBill

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, spud786 said:

If you look at the floor of the airbox, the rear is deeper, thats why the long stacks go in the rear and short in the front. so they are the same height installed.

Hi spud786.

Sorry, don't agree with you on this one. It's a bit more complex than that.

The stacks should be staggered as per the Service Manual. As to how much of benefit having them staggered makes could be debatable, however, Honda has done it this way for a reason.