Speed Sensor

Writer/Rider

Speedo woes:

My spedometer just quit working on my 96 VFR ,and so I refered to the shop manual to troubleshoot the problem. The manual is rather ambiguous as to the location of the components of the speed sensor circuit i.e. "The printed circuit board on the bottom of the meter assembly". It says to remove the upper fairing to access the meter assembly, but before I go taking the bike apart I would like to have a better idea of it's location. Also, the location of the speed sensor itself is rather vague i.e. "Remove the rear fairing". Also, I will need the part number of the speed sensor itself to order it online (Assuming the electrical check proves it faultly) Any help from my fellow viffers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Pi.

It is driven off the countershaft sprocket.

Easy to tell, have a look at the countershaft sprocket cover and see the sensor is staring back at you.

No guarantee, but quite often, the plastic "hex nut" that goes over the countershaft bolt gets rounded out inside and needs to be changed.

Here you go, item #20, "joint, speedometer":

meters9497at6.png

$5.44

You should be able to change it without removing the entire countershaft sprocket cover. Just remove the sensor itself with two small 8mm head bolts and the speedo joint should come off with it, IIRC. (never owned a '96 but my '99 is similar)

• Member Contributer

Easy to tell, have a look at the countershaft sprocket cover and see the sensor is staring back at you.

No guarantee, but quite often, the plastic "hex nut" that goes over the countershaft bolt gets rounded out inside and needs to be changed.

meters9497at6.png

$5.44

You should be able to change it without removing the entire countershaft sprocket cover. Just remove the sensor itself with two small 8mm head bolts and the speedo joint should come off with it, IIRC. (never owned a '96 but my '99 is similar)

http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?se...g=44808-MR7-013

• Member Contributer
Hey Flyer,

Thanks for the excellent information. I just inspected my sensor and found that the plastic "hex nut" was in fact, rounded out on the inside. I will order a replacement next week and will let you know if it works.

Thanks again

Bob Pi.

actually, it was veffer800canuck who offered up the right answer, but in his haste he forgot the linky. (which is what I usually do!)

meters9497at6.png

$5.44

I removed the spedo joint and found that it was rounded out inside just as you suggested. The dealer charged me a little over $10.00 for a new one, but that was still one of the cheapest and easiest repairs I've ever done on my bikes. Thanks for the great information and especially the microfiche diagram. I showed it to the parts guy and he found it right away. My speedo is working fine now thanks to your help. It never ceases to amaze me the level of knowledge available here on this board.

Bob Pi.

Archived