Brake Light Staying On

Guest da9b20

So my brake lights are stuck on. The brakes dont seem to be on, so what can I check to figure out the problem. I drove it and everythings normal. I dont want to adjust the wrong brake line and it could be electrical.

any ideas

thanks

So my brake lights are stuck on. The brakes dont seem to be on, so what can I check to figure out the problem. I drove it and everythings normal. I dont want to adjust the wrong brake line and it could be electrical.

any ideas

thanks

likely a brake light switch stuck on

Terry

• Member Contributer

any ideas

thanks

I had the same problem a wile ago.

Someone here (sorry don't recall who) suggested to check the rear brake sensor located by the rear brake pedal. The thing was stuck in the ON position.

I adjusted the leangth and the problem was solved.

It looks like you have the same issue.

I rode around for a week with mine stuck once. I didn't notice it but a friend of mine did and a week later he was like, " I've been meaning to tell you... ". I don't usually take my time to make sure all my lights are working before riding. Owe well.

did you recently lower the lever?

no, i have done nothing since the problem started. i have to put on my buel footpegs anyway. looks like i have something to do this weekend.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Should we have a archive feature for topics like this? i didnt find any info on this when i searched. it might prevent repeat post.

+1.gif on the rear brake switch

Had it happen to me on an R1 once.

Should we have a archive feature for topics like this? i didnt find any info on this when i searched. it might prevent repeat post.

A lot of threads get automatically deleted if they remain inactive for too long. Slammer started doing this because the VFRD database got too bloated for the server we're on.

Spray a little WD-40 on the rear brake switch, if you press the brake pedal you can see how the switch operates, spray the WD where it slides in and out of the switch housing. It's a brass rod that easily gets corroded or dried out. You most likely don't have to adjust anything unless something else was moved. The front brake switch is similar but located behind the brake lever, spraying won't be so easy, which also makes it harder for dirt to get in, so check the rear first.

So it is the rear brake switch. Thanks. When gave it a quick spray with WD40 and push the pedal up and down it unstuck. Then I when around the block, it still is stuck on unless I press the pedal up. I know when I launch from a light I don’t want to press the pedal up so I am going to have to spray it again or do something.

Should I have to adjust it? I never have. or should this just be a spray fix?

• Member Contributer
So it is the rear brake switch. Thanks. When gave it a quick spray with WD40 and push the pedal up and down it unstuck. Then I when around the block, it still is stuck on unless I press the pedal up. I know when I launch from a light I don’t want to press the pedal up so I am going to have to spray it again or do something.

Should I have to adjust it? I never have. or should this just be a spray fix?

You probably need to mess with the adjustment collar. It's just a plastic ring that threads around the switch. Once you figure out how to get your fingers in there, it's a two-minute job.

Someone on the Fall Dragon ride noticed my brake light being stuck on, too. They squirted some oil on it, which worked temporarily, but the spring must have just gotten too weak to pull the plunger. I cracked the heck out of it (err...adjusted it) once back at the hotel, and it's been fine ever since.

Archived