Issue Starting The Viffer

VFR79

• Member Contributer

Last week I started an exhaust project on my bike. Once the bike was put back together I go to start it and notice that the neutral light is out. Ok, bulbs burn out, no big deal. After a few seconds of the bike running, the N light flickers a few times then is back to normal. I brush it off as a poor conection and think nothing of it.

Fast forward to today. I haven't started my bike since last week. I go to fire it up today to let some friends listen to a VFR with no exhaust can, and it won't start. I've got lights and you can hear it click, but it won't start. Bike is in neutral, but N light won't come on again. Battery is good. Ok, wth? Starter switch is on, I try pulling in the clutch...nothing. I then sit on the bike and raise the kickstand. Aha, the bike starts like a champ. As soon as it's running, the N light comes on and stays on. WTF?

I've got a few ideas, but it just doesn't add up. I'm not too concerned about the N light, some contact cleaner ought to take care of a bad connection. But if the kickstand switch is faulty, then it would seem to me that the bike "thinks" it's in gear when it's in neutral. The only thing I didn't do was put the kickstand down while the bike was running and in gear. Could this be fuse related somehow?

Any thoughts? (And please don't say R/R :goofy: )

in order that 'I' think likely.

Wire damaged by/during pipe work. (shorted, pinched, etc.)

Faulty contacts on switches. (but multiple failures at once make me go 'hmmm'.)

Diodes failing in start safety system.

JOIBO.

Last week I started an exhaust project on my bike. Once the bike was put back together I go to start it and notice that the neutral light is out. Ok, bulbs burn out, no big deal. After a few seconds of the bike running, the N light flickers a few times then is back to normal. I brush it off as a poor conection and think nothing of it.

Fast forward to today. I haven't started my bike since last week. I go to fire it up today to let some friends listen to a VFR with no exhaust can, and it won't start. I've got lights and you can hear it click, but it won't start. Bike is in neutral, but N light won't come on again. Battery is good. Ok, wth? Starter switch is on, I try pulling in the clutch...nothing. I then sit on the bike and raise the kickstand. Aha, the bike starts like a champ. As soon as it's running, the N light comes on and stays on. WTF?

I've got a few ideas, but it just doesn't add up. I'm not too concerned about the N light, some contact cleaner ought to take care of a bad connection. But if the kickstand switch is faulty, then it would seem to me that the bike "thinks" it's in gear when it's in neutral. The only thing I didn't do was put the kickstand down while the bike was running and in gear. Could this be fuse related somehow?

Any thoughts? (And please don't say R/R :unsure: )

Do you hear the winding up sound when you turn you key to on? Im not hearing that sound on my brand new 07 and it wont start, just hear the click.

• Member Contributer
winding up sound

To be honest I've never noticed a winding up sound when starting my bike. Then again, it's 14 years older than yours. I'm sure they work a little differently.

Mine started with no problems, except that I had to put the sidestand in the up position.

• Member Contributer

Started the bike today and there were no issues. Bike recognized neutral and started with the kickstand down. However, I did notice that the battery terminals were a little loose. Hmm, I wonder if loose cables will send strange signals to the bike?

(Bad thing is that this is the second time loose cables caused starting problems. Few months ago I was going to ride on this beautiful Monday afternoon and bike won't start. Lights come on but no power. I check everything: killswitch, all fuses, etc... I have a co-worker tow it to our shop and the next day the shop manager tightens the cables, bike fires right up. Thought I'd never live that one down!)

I'll keep you guys posted if I have this issue again. Well, if I have to do some work at least it's during the cold season.

Archived