On Borrowed Time

Guest VFRbar

I bought my VFR new in May 2002 and after 26k, I still have the same battery. It continues to hold a full charge. Five years is a long time for a motorcycle battery, but I'm curious if anyone has had one last for 8-10 years?

• Member Contributer

Mine held 8 years.

Bike parked outside most of the year, in a unheated shed during winter/frost.

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I'm the second owner of my '02 and recently replaced the original battery. 19k mileage. It seemed to die a slow death, rather than suddenly pooping out. Wonder if this is the norm or if most people get surprised. :o

The guy I bought the bike from warned me about the potentially impaired battery from not riding much during his last couple years of ownership. $60 from motorcycleproshop.com with quick delivery, so no big deal.

Birdman

• Member Contributer

A battery lasting 8-10 years on a Honda charging system would next to a miracle! First, you'd have to have the R/R last that long. LOL.

I sold my 98 suzuki bandit 1200s a couple of years ago and it still had the stocker but that thing had an alternator that looked like it should be on an auto. At that time, it was 7+ years old but still very healthy and spun that big mill over with no problems. I thought it was a "miracle" battery and, like you, posted a question at maxzuk and got many replies from owners with the originals.

My second 02 VTEC came without a battery (long story) and I replaced it with a no-name unit from ebay for about $40.

My 2001 VFR's battery died last summer (July). So that would be about 5 - 5 1/2 years out of it. I'm the second owner though, so I'm not sure how it was treated the first 3 years of it's life (2,900 miles). It probably had 17k miles on it when it died and I use my battery tender if I don't ride it for more than a week.

Boy, this is going to jinx it good.

Have an '01, origional owner, 50k miles, no tender. Only time it hesitates is starting below 30F.

Right now the bike lives on the front porch with the chili's, outside.

Cold morning starting routine is .

Key on, pop it over key off, wait 30sec.

Repeat two more times.

Then try in ernest. Always starts on the fourth go.

Kinda like the Kramer Audi test drive trying to see how far the car would go below the "empty" line on the gas gague.

I thought Honda batteries should last 10 years or more, :thumbsup:

Cheers, .. . .. .. . . . .

• Member Contributer

I've got 43,000 kilometers on my 99 vfr with the original battery and regulater/rectifier.I was considering replacing both to be safe but last week I had a mechanic buddy do a load check on my battery and he said it was fine.I figured if the battery isn't fried after eight years the regulater /rectifier must be fine too.I think I'll probably just leave them alone and keep my fingers crossed.Also,I always put a battery tender on my battery over the winter months.

• Member Contributer

i had a battery last 9 years until i sold the bike , what i did because the battery was a wet cell type was to change the battery acid every year after cleaning it out on the inside to keep sulfation from forming.

• Member Contributer

Almost 10 years... guy I bought off did little riding, but always had it on charge.

I bought the bike at 24,000kms, batt. died at 25,000kms....

I watched the clock reset once, then I stalled her in the city {only time ever} on some one way uphill street... wouldn't start {click click}. FINALLY managed to spot a small side alley and bumped start, and rode her 30kms with some "fuel enrichment"... to the battery man. R/R was fine. No trouble now @ 41,xxx :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
i had a battery last 9 years until i sold the bike , what i did because the battery was a wet cell type was to change the battery acid every year after cleaning it out on the inside to keep sulfation from forming.

modern motorcycle batteries are sealed (not vented) any position usage. i wanted a spare for doing the R/R checks and repair and being the cheap bastage that i am, i bought from GPS and am quite happy with the quality! (made in the usa!)

http://www.gruberpower.com/gruberpower/adv...cyclebatteries/

• Member Contributer

Well, based on the experiences here I'd say you're battery either will or won't last. :blink:

One thing's for sure, batteries like to be used. If you're not riding on a daily/weekly basis then a battery tender (Deltran :thumbsup: ) would be a wise investment. Keep the battery clean and if you can check it once a month, do it.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

My original was replaced at 6 years. It was still working fine but I thought I should replace it because of where I ride. There's long distances with nobody around but some cows. I don't think they will be much help. :D

• Member Contributer

I'm running on the original battery now for my '99, manufacture date is 8/98, so it's got to be around 8 years old. I keep it around on a battery tender since the "replacement" batteries I have bought never last too long. The last one ran down about a month ago and I subbed the original back in. With all my short trip riding I think it's hard on the batteries, I swap back and forth about every 6 months. R/R replaced as a precaution about 4 years ago.

• Member Contributer

If you replace your battery, a good one to consider is the Yuasa battery that fits the Honda ST 1300. It is the same size as the VFR battery but with a little more cranking power. I think it is the Yuasa YTZ-14S.

Thanks for the responses. I'm probably going to go ahead and replace it this year. Cheap insurance to prevent being stranded in Deliverance country.

Archived