Mod: Lobster's Mirror Extenders

Rivcyko

• Member Contributer

Well,.............

I'm still waiting on paint to dry and my LEDs, BUT,...

1) Sanded down to the plastic. Sanded through the bolt holes, facing fwd. (for light defusion).

2) Drilled one .325" hole, .250" deep, .500", forward from the rear bolt hole. (Placing it back of the center of the extender).

3) Drilled two .250" holes, from the .325" hole, at two different depths and angles, (eyeballed), but trying to get the shorter hole, slightly more forward, than the longer hole.

gallery_2922_262_69712.jpg

100_3646.JPG

4) Sanded those holes.

5) PAINT PREP. Sand every surface with 400 grit. Tape the areas that will show light. ( I'm letting light through on 70%, of the bottom side, and 40%, on the top.) Trim the tape. Plug the holes.

gallery_2922_262_240682.jpg

100_3647.JPG

6) Two coats of silver plastic paint, (for reflection), five coats of black primer, (to capture any light wanting to escape).

7) After cure, carefully remove the tape. Coat with six coats of matte clear. Let cure. Retape the light showing areas, slightly shy of where the blcak edges are. (No need to trim the tape, this time). Coat with two coats of clear. This should help protect the black edge from chipping-up,when bugs and desbris hit it.

gallery_2922_2278_354259.jpg

...............................preview,.....more to come.

gallery_2922_262_402644.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JOHN800

That what we need, some nice innovative stuff. Although I already thought of that idea, can't prove it though. smile.gif. I thought that maybe leaving it clear all the way aroung would have worked too. What about yellow superbrights? Drill around 10 five mm holes for LEDs, silicone them in, make an identical thin backing plate mirror acrylic, for the wiring, and polish all around. Make it a 1/4 clearance and 3/4 blinker light output. Damn, I have enough projects. Let's see them on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Oooooh....pretty lights. Are they just running lights? Or are you going to mod them for turn signals as well? And, most importantly, how much for a pair? :thumbsup:

I thought that maybe leaving it clear all the way aroung would have worked too.

Yeah, but it would be distracting for the rider (if used for indicators) or not good for your night vision if used as pilot lights.

• Member Contributer
Very Cool!! Mmmm yellow LED's hehe. Is the mirror extender cast or a chunk of acrylic?
Oooooh....pretty lights. Are they just running lights? Or are you going to mod them for turn signals as well? And, most importantly, how much for a pair? :thumbsup:

Got yellow and orange leds on order. Figured orange,in the long drill holes,as running lights. Andyellow in the short one as signal.

They are acryic.

SORRY. NOT IN PRODUCTION. My hands are full, now.

I thought that maybe leaving it clear all the way aroung would have worked too.

Yeah, but it would be distracting for the rider (if used for indicators) or not good for your night vision if used as pilot lights.

Ding! We have a winner!

Still considering drilling a series of small holes, through out the light visable areas, (and perhaps a flat clear on the same areas).

Guest uclajoebruin

Seeing them mounted on the bike, it looks like black might blend a little easier. Either way, very cool and functional idea. Great work! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Yet another awesome project by the riv :thumbsup: Now would they work well enough as signals to replace the dumbo ears on the 5th gen? :wheel: Or am I 3 steps behind as usual

• Member Contributer
Very Cool!! Mmmm yellow LED's hehe. Is the mirror extender cast or a chunk of acrylic?

Spoon,

1.5" clear acrylic. I made about 40 sets for 5th and 6th gen bikes for folks here on the forum. I think it's a nice addition as you can see behind you MUCH better. There's nothing fancy about them. If you can find the acrylic, some longer metric bolts and you have access to a bandsaw and a sander, you too can make them without much trouble. I think even GenMar sells them for about $60 / pair.

• Member Contributer

Black and frosted it is. Give Lobster your hard earned cash, as gen-mars, aren't clear and cost more. :thumbsup: Love 'ya Larry. Thanks for the exhaust hook-up.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

STILL waiting on my damn leds. I should have just made some. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Spoon,

1.5" clear acrylic. I made about 40 sets for 5th and 6th gen bikes for folks here on the forum. I think it's a nice addition as you can see behind you MUCH better. There's nothing fancy about them. If you can find the acrylic, some longer metric bolts and you have access to a bandsaw and a sander, you too can make them without much trouble. I think even GenMar sells them for about $60 / pair.

Are you saying you have some for a 6th Gen (w/o lights)? If so, I'll take a set please. I'll PM you for details.

Cheers,

didit

Shoot, I think I have some of this out in the garage... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
:D Do you have pics of these install and blinkin in a low light'd room?

He!!, I'll post video, when I can get the damn LEDs!

This is a how too. It's up to you to mod them. Otherwise We're gonna charge an arm and a leg. LOL. Business ventures have a way of screwing-up friendships. Not look'n for that. So,... Send Lobster $$. LOL.

Guest bluedragon
Order them from Lobster and follow Riv's how-to. Then you'll have exactly what Riv described earlier on. :thumbsup:

thank you for clearing that up with out being condescending :thumbsup: