Son Of Frankenviffe

tok tokkie

• Member Contributer

Crap.

Cowboy up Tokkie! We've all been irresponsible and made mistakes while riding. Some of us get lucky and make it home with the bike. Some of us do not. As others have noted, at least you are ok.

Such a bummer to see so much hard work get thrashed!! Just a total bummer. Good luck with whatever bike you get into!!!!

Ralph,

Very saddening.

It has been a long time since we first corresponded about acquiring parts for your FrankenProject, and it's been a pleasure to have been associated with it. Watching your craftsmanship and determination is something we all enjoyed very much.

That you lived to tell the tale is.....very, very good. Time to finish that clock....

Tracy

I'm still dumbfounded here after having read this minutes after Ralph first posted (all of it) up, I still don't know what to say other than "thank %$#@ you are ok".

I'm still dumbfounded here after having read this minutes after Ralph first posted (all of it) up, I still don't know what to say other than "thank %$#@ you are ok".

Indeed! It's like, "Look - here's this REALLY kewl stuff I did to my bike", and then "BAM!" - it's all gone!

And when you look at him standing next to a comprehensively trashed bike :pissed:

Broken into bits, no less... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

What an amazing story, with a horrible end. As an ex Capetownian, I know those roads so well, and was riding along in memoryland when Bam!, rude awakening. Glad you are OK, please continue to update us. Oh how I miss those roads.

• Member Contributer

I can't say anything that has already been said. Like everybody else, I have really enjoyed your threads, your insight, and pictures of the great fabricating you've done. I was completely caught off guard when you mentioned the low side.

Whatever bike you get, don't forget to check in here from time to time. I think I can speak for everybody when I say that you will always be welcome at VFRD, no matter the bike.

• Member Contributer
It was a complete shock for me to be engrossed in that thread and read then the last paragraph. I was caught complete out. :o

Exactly how I felt. I was completely engrossed in your quest to make the viffer whole again and then to have it all end that way. Truely happy you are ok! Good luck with your next endeavors and include us on an of the cool BMW mods that are sure to arise!

Tok Tokkie,

Dis so 'n treurige verhaal, but still a great one. (I have new relatives (from the in-laws) in South Africa and I'm trying to learn some Afrikaans).

Despite that the story has a sad ending, I feel like I just read a great Shakespearan tragedy. I actually enjoyed reading it. You should make it into a short movie.

Most importantly, I'm glad you were not another VFRD Statistic and glad to hear you are ok and will continue riding. I think the idea of riding with the misses is a good one. Riding off-road can be a lot of fun, sometimes more fun than riding on roads.

mike

Edited by mgtx73

Man,

I just grabbed a coffee and started reading this Tokkie, and was amazed at the work you were putting into your frankenviffer. Really nicely done to suit your requirements,

But then to read it got smashed up, what a shock. Very sorry to hear it but the gods were smiling on you and you survived to tell us...

Sorry to lose you to the bimmer-side of the force, stick around though, I'm pretty sure VFR ownership is not a rule of membership smile.gif

:pissed:

I'm curious about doing a fork conversion, but at this point it's much more work than I can handle. I was excited to see what you had done...and then I saw that pic of your bike in pieces. I'm so sorry it's wrecked, but what's important is that you're in one piece and in good shape.

Good luck with whatever bike you decide on. The BMW dual-sports are supposed to be great bikes. Hope you stick around VFRD, too!

That sucks, I didnt expect that ending. At least you and the bike didnt switch positions. We would see a vfr with some rash and you, well you know. Your work is fantastic. She gave her life so you could walk away, thats one way to look at it. Where did the front end break off at?

As everyone else has said..what a shocking story. Good luck with the beemer. FWIW: I still dream about my BMW R80/7, even though I love my VFR. BMW makes really solid bikes and you won't be dissapointed. And glad your still here to ride it.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Wow, I guess I must have been under a rock to have missed this thread 'til now. I was wondering what had become of Ralph lately...

She was a beauty, but just a machine after all. Glad you're okay Ralph!!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Glad you're okay. The work and posting you wrote were awesome. I hope you are up and running again. Amazing metal work. Great information too.