Bike Was Stolen, Hotwired, Recovered, Now I Have No Juice!

Guest camo

I have been a proud owner of my 1998 Honda VFR for about 3 years, recently it was stolen from my front yard. Day later some guy on a horse finds it in the desert under some branches, thank GOD. Well I recovered the bike and the bastards cut the 3 ignition wires right under the ignition switch and had twisted them together.

Figured I could just wire it back up and go, WRONG.

I don't know what is going on but there is ZERO juice with the wires correctly hooked back up when I turn the key. All the fuses are good, battery is charged and still reads 12v when I turn the key which should put it under load. I get no headlights nothing. Checked the ground from the batt. and batt. cables all is good. I check the continuity from the fuse block of the cut wires up to the bare tips from where they were cut and it passes. Problem is there is no voltage at the wires yet back at the fuse block there is.

I downloaded a factory service manual online, but I am fairly new to motorcycle mechanics, but am experienced with regualr automotive, and I have no idea where to go from here. I am hoping one of you will say oh yeah it's just "blah blah blah" and a simple fix.

Any ideas or input would be great, I'm going crazy having this thing down!

Go back to the hotwired set up, can you get it to start then. If so, maybe they fiddled and broke the ignition, then cliped and hotwired.

No luck

I hate thieves :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Try this in order.

Hook up the ignition.

Un hook battery, wait 2 or 3 minutes.

Re hook up battery.

Try again.

Could be something as simple as the bank angle sensor, or some anti thevory device that ditects a clipped ignition and the ecu must be re-set with the ignition in place.

Archived