Another De-dumbo-ing

Guest PaPP

So, at a request, here's a short writeup.

WEAR GLOVES and clothes you DON'T care about! DO NOT SCREW WITH THIS STUFF! My arms itched for 3 days, and I got some in my shoes, which I threw away.

I used Fiberglass Resin and THICK fiberglass to begin with.

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/cat...990_FabMat.html

*Rough up your fairing (both front and back) with some 400 grit sanding paper, then clean it fully and keep it dry.

*Cut some of the THIN fiberglass material first, (I forget what it's called) to about a 1/2 inch larger than the shape of the gaping hole.

*Apply the resin mixed with the hardener to the fiberglass piece while it sits on a piece of trashbag or plastic, as well as the area around the hole. Don't forget the hardener or life will suck. :goofy: Also, the resin dries FAST - about 120 seconds, so don't take any phone calls while you're working.

*Apply the piece to the back of the fairing first. I think I used 2 layers, maybe 3.

*Once that hardens, then switch to the THICK STUFF, but cut it to about 1/8 in larger than the hole. I don't remember how many of these it took to build up, but I must've used about 5 on each side as a minimum.

*Wet these with resin/hardener and build onto the front side of the fairing.

miniimg0662bd9.jpg

miniimg0661bt2.jpg

miniimg0663th0.jpg

*Once it's dried (maybe 20 minutes?) and you've got it built up to where you want it - even with the plastic - you can build with a little resin and no fiberglass if you like, or just leave it to the bondo.

*We enjoy air tools, so our best grinding was done with a 300, 200 and 100 grit sanding disc set. THIS SHIZ GOES EVERYWHERE, YOU MUST WEAR A BREATHER MASK AND GOGGLES!!!!!

miniimg0666fq9.jpg

miniimg0665el8.jpg

miniimg0668jg9.jpg

*Here you may want to use Bondo with the LONG FIBERS, or if you've built up your fiberglass well enough, just use some finishing glaze. Remember; how you sand that layer of glaze is how your paint will turn out. Work your way up from 200/400/600/1000/1500. If you're using sandable primer like I did in the next step, then you can stop at 1000. I won't go into painting, but I'll say that this wasn't that hard to do!!

miniimg0669cy5.jpg

miniimg0670pr6.jpg

miniimg0737mj8.jpg

miniimg0738vv6.jpg

WHILE WAITING IN BETWEEN COATS, I ALWAYS RECOMMEND A GOOD SESSION OF FEEDING THINGS INTO THE SHREDDER AND WATCHING THE BEWILDERED CAT.

miniimg0743gt7.jpg

When repainting, I used this paint process:

2 Coats Pink

3 Coats Clear

4 Coats Huyabusa Red (Shh, don't tell!)

4 Coats Clear.

miniimg0753tf9.jpg

Baby came out great as you can see! The turn signals are Lockhart Phillips I think, can't remember. About 30$?

minidctc0608120615nl2.jpg

Guest vfrrider

Good job on filling in the old holes. I always thought just using some ABS from another broken fairing would have been the way to go. Yes, its looks great. :thumbsup:

Maybe some of the new mirrors with built in turn signals and get totally away from fairing mounted would be next? See E-Bay for examples, has 2 LED sections. Looks real high tech.

Larry

VFRrider

Good job on filling in the old holes. I always thought just using some ABS from another broken fairing would have been the way to go. Yes, its looks great. :thumbsup:

Maybe some of the new mirrors with built in turn signals and get totally away from fairing mounted would be next? See E-Bay for examples, has 2 LED sections. Looks real high tech.

Larry

VFRrider

Yea, I wanted to mount a set of 07/06 GSXR mirrors, but didn't have time. SHOOT! That and they're not cheap, like me. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the props guys! I'd like to have this pinned as a how to mod if possible?

Guest Flash and Flare

So how long before you start taking ppls body panels in as a core in exchange for your already modded ones? LOL

Great work this is how Honda should have made them

F&F

PS. the line starts behind me

Mate that is a really nice job.

I've been thinking that some zx10 indicators may have the right curve to fit in...

Yeah, I thought that too, based on a quick squizz at pictures. Let us know if they do fit.

I'm still tempted to go for Vespa indicators, because (a) they come with clear or orange lenses, (B) they're the right size and shape, and © they're only NZ$22 complete with bulbs! :thumbsup:

Trouble is, the WifeAccountantPorcupine sees this mod as "unnecessary fiddling" and will go nuts if I do further mods to "our" bike without permission (like the Fiamm horns, the speedo convertor, the new cush rubbers, the Dragon sticker...)

At the moment, I'm really champing at the bit to go down the road to the marine shop and buy a Blue Sea fuse block to tidy up my farkles...

I can manage without it, but ... but... but it's just SO kewl!

When I rang her to discuss it, her wayward workmate had dragged her (not that she probably resisted too much) down to the nearby designer clothes store to look at expensive clothes. I'm hoping she corrupted her.

Again.

Although the last episode cost several thousand dollars... :rolleyes:

Edited by enzed_viffer

Needless to say, me likey very mucho. Better'n my solution, done last winter..........

gallery_4707_1159_96992.jpg

Dumbo Replacement Panel

gallery_4707_1159_295320.jpg

This photo greatly increased the value of seat cowls, worldwide!!

Needless to say, me likey very mucho. Better'n my solution, done last winter..........

I don't know that I saw your reaction to the Thurn(?) carbon fibre indicator replacement panels, Trace...

Wait - I know:

"Me don't likey very much at all!" :salesman:

I still prefer your solution, as it's reversible. I'm fairly sure that if/when I get around to doing the dumbo-ectomy, some SafetyNazi will deem them illegal, due to the peculiar legislation governing any attempt to be different/innovative. :rolleyes:

I don't know that I saw your reaction to the Thurn(?) carbon fibre indicator replacement panels, Trace...

I din't see the Thurn thread, but I will officially go on record, for the bazillionth time, that I loathe and detest ugly, cheesy, gray Carbon Fiber just for the sake of Carbon Fiber. And ft it's painted, it doesn't NEED to be Carbon Fiber...it can be proper fibreglass. Or ABS plastic.

Carbon Fiber is a big nothing. Except on true racing vehicles and aerospace applications, where it is......second-to-none wunnerful. Otherwise, it's like a big, dopey, ugly aluminum wing bolted onto a Civic's trunk. Wrong application for the wrong product.

And don't get me started on FAKE CF. Why fake ugliness? Gaaahhhh....my eyes, my eyes!!

And Enzed...I TRIED to get you to let my buy that blue cowl that was for sale in Canada last summer (in the Nothern Hemisphere!!) and ship it to you....by now, you would be probbberly de-dumboed!! I'm sure that was the LAST blue seat cowl that will ever be for sale, ever. In the entire universe. Neverever.

But back on topic, that is a sweet de-dumboing that PaPP did.

And Enzed...I TRIED to get you to let my buy that blue cowl that was for sale in Canadia last summer (in the Nothern Hemisphere!!) and ship it to you....by now, you would be probbberly de-dumboed!! I'm sure that was the LAST blue seat cowl that will ever be for sale, ever. In the entire universe. Neverever.

Yes, you did, and it probelry was the lastest ever. But (however) I need to get some touchup paint anyway, so I'll just get some garden ordinary ABS from some broken bike somewheres and paint it blue. If it doesn't match exactly, I still have some really boviously fake fake CF sheet I can stick over it. :salesman:

But back on topic, that is a sweet de-dumboing that PaPP did.

Yup, it sure was. He did it proper.

But I still like yours better. And I'm thinking seriously about those LEDs you have on your mirrors too...

• Member Contributer
Thanks guys! Hope this helps you out if you're looking to do it! Like I said, would look great with these:

GSXR1%2005%20F%20S%20SIGS-1.jpg

Looks great. :thumbsup:

Aftermarket gsxr mirrors with the signals seem pretty cheap on ebay, I thought I had seen them for less than $50/set?

Aftermarket gsxr mirrors with the signals seem pretty cheap on ebay, I thought I had seen them for less than $50/set?

Anyone got any idea on the measurement of bolt to bolt of these gsxr mirrors? Are these the same as Safe-T used?

• Member Contributer

Anyone got any idea on the measurement of bolt to bolt of these gsxr mirrors? Are these the same as Safe-T used?

I'm not sure on the GSXR mirror's bolt dimensions but Safe-T used the Aprilia RSVR mirrors, pic here: http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/pro...?idproduct=2662. The Aprilia bolt dimensions are a little narrower than the VFR's but I think Safe-T covered that. I have one I'm working with now, needs a mounting spacer to move the mirror out a little and put it at a more useful angle.

Great job.....what brand of paint did you use and was it single stage or BC/CC?

I think it's in the original post, but the process was:

Pink Base Coat X2

Clear Coat X3

Red Pearl Coat X5

Clear Coat X4

I forget the brand, I got the idea from a guy at the automotive paint store. . . the one that needed more ventilation. . . I don't know how those guys do it.