Electrical Woes

cbar

• Member Contributer

I just bought a 2001 with 32000 km on the clock.

Tonight when I came out from work, I turned the key to my new bike on, waited for the FI to prime, and hit the starter button....and was greeted with nothing but clicks.

Bummer.

I was in my office building's parking garage so I just rolled the bike to a ramp and bump started it. I rode it home, got it into my garage, parked it and turned it off, and tried to start it again and had the same result which was surprising since it had just been ridden for 20 minutes.

I got a battery maintainer with the bike because the previous owner travelled for work and went for up to a month without riding it so he would plug the battery in while he was away. I haven't been using the battery maintainer, since I've been riding it every day since I got home, and this is the first trouble I've had. The only thing that was different today than any of the other days I've had it was that it was quite cool and damp here overnight.

So after getting home I hooked up the battery maintainer this morning it started cleanly. Rode into work, and as I was backing into my parking space it died again.

I contacted the previous owner, and he told me he had a similar thing happen once about 6 months ago. Same deal - he stalled at a set of lights after a long ride and got not response at all. Looked exactly like a dead battery. Jumped it and rode home. Started and stopped it about 4 times to replicate the fault and it started cleanly everytime. He took it to an auto electrician who loaded up the battery and told me the batt was good (not great) but not really ready for replacement.

The electrician suggested a loose wire somewhere - the only place the previous owner could think of was where he had wired the quick connect for the maintainer but that seemed pretty good to him. But that was it - just once in 2 years. So it was something he just put down as a one off. The battery in it is still the original as far as he knows, so it's getting up to 5 years old now.

Anyone have any feedback on what this could be? I sincerely hope it aint the Reg/Rec. But I think you get different symptoms for that.. not sure.

I suppose the easiest thing to do is plunk a new battery in and see if that fixes things?

5 year old battery.....hmmm - I'd be changing it out anyway I think.

I'll pop over and put the voltmeter on it........ oh shoot - I forgot you're way across the ponds.....

Sorry Chris - wish I could help more. :unsure:

MAke sure you check the connection he mentioned, maybe it came loose?

• Member Contributer

I think he pretty much did. He has the leads attached right to the battery so he could attach and detach the tender rapidly.

Yep, clock lost the correct time both times it has happened.....

was it realizing a crazy canuck was piloting ? Aussie time or North AMerica?

sorry - couldn't resist.....

IS there a 30 amp fuse on the 5th gens? IT will be a line coming off the positive terminal, an inline fuse holder will hold the fuse. check that and make sure its perfect.

I think he pretty much did. He has the leads attached right to the battery so he could attach and detach the tender rapidly.

If he's like my brother, he might not have been good about always plugging it in anyway,

Your symptoms really sound like that of a dead or dying old battery. Change it out anyway, cause you're taking achance with it's advanced age and it's much cheaper that buying a new RR and finding out that it's not the problem. You should change out your battery WITH the RR anyway, if the RR is indeed the problem.

C'mon, just run over to Mr. Honda's store and whip out that 70 bucks you got left over from Christmas for that new Yuasa! <_<

Beck

95 VFR

Chris it sounds like you need to get over to Crappy Tire and grab a battery. Oops, forgot you moved to OZ. Guess you should go to Crikey Tire and grab a battery. :D

• Member Contributer

Chris I had a similar thing happen to me when i first got my bike. It also had th eoriginal battery, i replaced it and has been fine for 2 years. I'm sure its just the battery Keep us posted :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Replace the battery and put a voltmeter on the bike and start her up. Turn on the high beams and rev to about 5500RPMs. You should get 14-15 volts. If not your R/R, or less likely, stator are fried.

To me this sounds like the R/R is more likely the problem than the battery (which is going to need to be replaced regardless) because the PO kept it on a battery tender, which would charge the battery and the battery would not fully discharge before it was plugged in again and the bike was running off the battery the whole time.

• Member Contributer

check under the terminals and make sure they are clean and tight, no corrosion may help or solve problem

• Member Contributer
was it realizing a crazy canuck was piloting ?

Cbar's been riding on the wrong side of the road and scaring the juice out of the bike!

was it realizing a crazy canuck was piloting ?

Cbar's been riding on the wrong side of the road and scaring the juice out of the bike!

I heard that he liked the pipe so much that he had been putting juice in it. :unsure: Keep in mind what color bike he bought. :D

• Member Contributer

Hmmm...but for several days I hadn't been using the tender...then after a few days riding, it dies. I juice it up overnight, it starts OK, I ride into work, and as I go into my parking space, it dies on me...it was almost like havnig the brakes on a lot took the last bit of juice left...

Replace the battery and put a voltmeter on the bike and start her up. Turn on the high beams and rev to about 5500RPMs. You should get 14-15 volts. If not your R/R, or less likely, stator are fried.

To me this sounds like the R/R is more likely the problem than the battery (which is going to need to be replaced regardless) because the PO kept it on a battery tender, which would charge the battery and the battery would not fully discharge before it was plugged in again and the bike was running off the battery the whole time.

• Member Contributer

EXACTLY! just went through this. the r/r's for this bike ends Do1 (discontinued) replaced by 31600-MBG-306. this regulator does Not have the right electrical fittings, but you could solder them if you like! the exact replacement is 31600-MBG-305. sells from ron ayers for $153.15 + shipping! You need to go thru the electrical checklist in your manual or go to the 5gen forum, how-to, electrical. HS did a real good job there! buy a battery when it tests bad! i hear they are not cheap there! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Hey Ken - I dropped a new battery in it, and the next day I had two good starts and two "fan on" incidents with no outages. So far, so good.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to one of the Oz VFR group guys who has a multimeter and we're going to test it out...

CBAR - what happenned with your bike ? +1.gif

Hey Ken - I dropped a new battery in it, and the next day I had two good starts and two "fan on" incidents with no outages. So far, so good.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to one of the Oz VFR group guys who has a multimeter and we're going to test it out...

CBAR - what happenned with your bike ? :unsure:

COol - good to hear. HOpe the battery was the issue. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Keep us posted on this Chris :thumbsup:

CBAR - what happenned with your bike ? +1.gif

COol - good to hear. HOpe the battery was the issue. :thumbsup:

Archived