Re-winding Old Stator

chris2992

• Member Contributer

I need a new stator, Does anyone see any problem in having Rick's re-wind my old unit? They have quoted me $140 for this work. A new oem piece is around $160.

My gut says this is fine, plus Rick offers a 1 yr warranty on re-winds and it is likely a better unit than the stocker.

I need a new stator, Does anyone see any problem in having Rick's re-wind my old unit? They have quoted me $140 for this work. A new oem piece is around $160.

My gut says this is fine, plus Rick offers a 1 yr warranty on re-winds and it is likely a better unit than the stocker.

We've been doing this to our XRs and old SOHC Hondas for years. May times at home in the shop, and almost always better than stock. The driver though has always been output capacity, not price. If the driver is mainly price, I'd say it's a toss-up, and then only because the shop offers the one year warranty.

your talkin $20 Get OEM, I'm willing to pay alot more for OEM

I'm aware that some have had success with those and some failure, the connectors and such not always a perfect match

I have a friend whos an Engine Tuner , His position he's never had good luck with after market stators. When my stator failed on last bike I paid $365 for stator +gasket OTD ( could have gotten from Nayers (but my bike could not be down for 2 weeks) , VFR is really pretty cheap to mess with aftermarket IMO

My position, I dont care what kind of warranty it has I need it guaranted to work, OEM pretty safe bet.

• Member Contributer

Rick is -> http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

He makes aftermarket RR's that don't fail, stators and such. Very good source for electrical goodies on all bikes.

Ricks new products are far and away better than the OEM's, my question is if there are any harms in re-winding the OEM unit.

• 2 months later...
Rick is -> http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

He makes aftermarket RR's that don't fail, stators and such. Very good source for electrical goodies on all bikes.

Ricks new products are far and away better than the OEM's, my question is if there are any harms in re-winding the OEM unit.

Hmmmm.... my bad... Never heard of Rick's.

From an electrical point of view, there should be no problem and no risk in re-winding any electrical component if it is done correctly and the core is in good condition.

Done correctly it will meet (and probably exceed) OEM specs.

I have motors at work that have been running longer than I have been alive (38 yrs). Some of them, according to the service stamps on the frame, have been rewound eight, nine, or ten times. We actually an original motor on a machine from the late 1930s. It has become a personal mission of my co-workers and me to keep it running forever. We have taken various steps to keep is overly protected. When they give tours this machine is always pointed out as one of the company's original pieces of equipment.

i work in an electrical repair shop that does just these things. but we do it on a larger scale. there was a very large and very old (1920 or so) 3ph synchronous motor that came in a while back. all they really had to do to it was steam and bake it, get new sleeve bearings and test run it. was a pretty cool sight seeing such an antique running like it was new.

Archived