Custom Devil Dual Underseat Exhaust System

Veefer800Canuck

Well, the first 2/3 of the topic was missing due to the forum crash, so here it is again from the top, sorry we lost all the other member's comments alonng the way, you guys make a great cheering squad!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I FINALLY :cool: booked out to the garage and started ripping and tearing the bike down for the exhaust project.

First thing on the menu of course was to remove all the tail plastic plus the stock undertray and battery box:

100_2145.jpg

This left me with a jumble of wires and such to deal with:

100_2147.jpg

100_2146.jpg

Later, later. Let's start making stuff!

Next thing I did was to reinstall the tailsection plastic and hang the mufflers to get an idea of how everything would sit:

mufflerhang.jpg

mufflerhang2.jpg

Triple exhaust anyone?

100_2150.jpg

Width is good, about the same side-to-side as the later, smaller Dia. WOLF cans:

100_2151.jpg

They don't stick out much more than the Micron does, I'll wait to see how they sound before I decide to shorten them (or not):

100_2152.jpg

Yeah, I know, they need to be shifted to the right a bit. A man can only do so much with ZipTies:

mufflerhang3.jpg

• Like 1

I decided to make the undertray in two pieces, one upper and one lower. The upper one sits aft of the round crossmember and mounts atop the subframe rails like so:

100_2154.jpg

The notches on the sides are for the passenger seat, so the appropriate bits sit flush with the subframe rails when the seat is installed. The notches toward the bottom of the pic are for the riders seat, so the two hooks can still hook underneath the round crossmember.

Here, the upper portion of the undertray has been drilled and riveted into place, fixing it to the subframe:

100_2155.jpg

I felt if I mounted it atop the framerails in this manner, it would leave me maximum clearance for the cans, moreso than the WOLF undertray pics I've seen to date. I plan to attach some aluminum angle to the underside of the upper part of the tray to enable me to hang the cans from with some band clamps. This is where using 1/8" Al sheet will begin to make sense as it will be a stressed member so to speak, holding the weight of the dual cans.

Now to do something about the forward portion. It needs to run underneath the subframe rails to provide clearance for the rider's seat pan. The plastic seat pan dips below the upper rails and would not clear if the forward tray were mounted up top. Here is the vacancy that needs to be filled. There's an old kid's snowsuit protecting my CF hugger so it doesn't get marred while I'm messing about:

100_2157.jpg

This is the simple piece I wound up with, 1 bend and cut narrower at the leading edge to clear the lower subframe rails. it's clamped in place as part of the fitup and in preparation for drilling and riveting:

100_2210.jpg

It will be riveted to the subframe and to the remains of the stock battery box which has been trimmed and rotated forward to allow more clearance for the Y-pipe that will connect the two mufflers.

100_2211.jpg

100_2212.jpg

I'll have to make a small vertical filler piece to close the gap and have that welded in place to join the two levels of the undertray. Don't want to invite water and road grime through that huge opening, but the Hugger and the dual cans, they should block at least some spray.

I'm planning on removing the whole works this winter and having it powdercoated. For now, it'll stay as raw aluminum. B)

• Like 1

Next, I made templates of the sidepanels to check the fit:

100_2213.jpg

100_2216.jpg

Clamped in place in preparation for riveting:

100_2217.jpg

This sucker ain't goin' nowhere:

100_2218.jpg

View from the outside, note 3/4" Al square tubing behind the steel plate that the R/R mounts to:

100_2219.jpg

Template and the actual cutout:

100_2220.jpg

Clamped in place for riveting:

100_2221.jpg

It's actually starting to look like something now:

100_2222.jpg

• Like 1

Next on the list is to make a slight mod on the forward portion of the undertray for more clearance and then fab the hanger brackets for the twin cans plus a rear support bracket for the taillight housing.

After that, I'll take the bike to Edmonton to have the custom up-pipe and Y pipe fitted. It'll look something similar to the WOLF plumbing except it'll be a 2" splitting into two 1.5" at the Y.

WolfY-pipe.jpg

VFR800Wolfunderseat.jpg

• Like 1

I went another few rounds with the bike today. In the end, the bike won.

More about that later.

First order of business was raising the front portion of the undertray to allow greater clearance for the Y-pipe going into the mufflers. I gained 3/4" of clearance Versus the previous iteration.

Next, I set about fabricating supports for the taillight. I had read reports of the tailsections vibrating and cracking, so I made this contraption using the stock rubber grommets from the plastic undertray:

gallery_554_564_36442.jpg

I finalized the mounting brackets and got one can clamped in place:

gallery_554_564_1035357.jpg

gallery_554_564_429479.jpg

The problem arose when I installed the second can. The rear portion is spaced well, but the fronts are too close together.

gallery_554_564_704060.jpg

I'll have to remove them and space the leading clamps apart, possibly with some washers between the inner part of the T-bolt clamp and the drop mount.

Elevation and symmetry look good, just have to get the leading edges of the cans spaced apart 1/4-3/8" or so.

gallery_554_564_279285.jpg

I also got in touch with the guy who's going to be doing the custom connector pipe for me, and I'm taking the Viffer in on the 26th.

Can't wait to hear the V-4 roar from 2 mufflers at once!

Or as my wife so eloquently put it: "You paid 350 bucks for new mufflers so your bike could fart out the back instead of the side?"

• Like 1

Hey, I picked up the bike today and am very pleased with the workmanship.

Bike isn't really any louder than with the Micron, which is great. I didn't want the entire MotoGP grid every time I thumbed the starter button!

I didn't have my own camera there when I picked the bike up, but one of the local VFRdiscussion.com members had kindly snapped some shots for me and here they are:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Davidvfr
Can't wait to hear the V-4 roar from 2 mufflers at once!

Or as my wife so eloquently put it: "You paid 350 bucks for new mufflers so your bike could fart out the back instead of the side?"

LOL!!

:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Can you tell me how many inches you have between your hugger and the pipes when its on the side stand? Any rubbing issues? Ever ride 2 up? Thanks, trying to set up my undertail.

Can you tell me how many inches you have between your hugger and the pipes when its on the side stand? Any rubbing issues? Ever ride 2 up? Thanks, trying to set up my undertail.

I'll take a measurement tonight when I get home from work. There is a slight amount of rubbing if, for example, I hammer a set of railroad tracks riding two-up. Other than that, it's fine.

I'll take a measurement tonight when I get home from work.

Sorry for the delay, I measured and there's about 2.25" between the hugger and the Y-pipe before the dual cans.

You will probably be thinking "BUT, there's about 5" of rear wheel travel!!!"

Yes, but that 5 inches is directly vertical from the rear axle.

And the spot where I have ~2.25" of clearance is ~11 inches forward of the rear axle.

FWIW, there's approx 21" between the swingarm pivot and the rear axle.

Thanks for that! How much would you say you have from the top of the tire to the mufflers? I think I may just have to run without my hugger for mine to work. I only have about 3-3 1/2 inches from top of tire to muffler right now. If I flip the eccentric I pick up an inch but run into other issues -( chain riding on top guide rails & slight hitting of center stand if too loose ). Maybe Ill get this figured out yet..... Is 5 inches the magic number I am after from top of wheel you think?

• 1 year later...

I realize that this was a while ago but I hope you're still up for questions. I was wondering what you did with the PGM-FI UNIT that mounts in the tail section under the passenger seat? Now that you have had it out are you having any heat issues with either the seat or the wiring?

Thanks

mini

I realize that this was a while ago but I hope you're still up for questions. I was wondering what you did with the PGM-FI UNIT that mounts in the tail section under the passenger seat? Now that you have had it out are you having any heat issues with either the seat or the wiring?

Thanks

mini

Hi Mini, the ECU has been relocated to the LH side of the tailsection, under the plastic, aft of the R/R.

As for the heat, there is a bit of heat when stopped in traffic on a hot day, but the ceramic coating on both the pipes and the subframe/undertray helped a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Awesome write up. I'm going to attempt this but with a few alterations to the undertray I think. We'll see how it goes. I do have a quesiton regarding the Devil pipes, what length and diameter are they? I assume they work well but I'd like to find pipes the same size as yours to make the system easy. I will be riding two up and I want to ensure I minimize the rubbing as much as possible. I don't know where I'll find a muffler guy to make the Y-pipe and mid-pipe but I'm sure there has to be someone who can help around the Boston area. Thanks again for all the detailed informaion.