Custom Devil Dual Underseat Exhaust System

Veefer800Canuck

Daword, there are some GPR silencers on EBAY right now and they have an 80mm outer diameter. That's 3.15 inches, so they ought to fit fine. Don't know what the inlet ID is though.

Anyhow, just tossing that out there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-SYSTEM-GPR-HONDA-VFR-800-RC-46-TILL-2001-GPR-TH-/250846524659?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a679e34f3&vxp=mtr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DannyMoto

This looks amazing! Great job! Really cleans up the tail and shows off that SSSA!!!

Edited by DannyMoto

Thanks DM.

The bike has changed a LOT since I started this thread ages and ages ago, but the exhaust system is still going strong with no issues!

I'm really glad I took the time and effort to get it all worked out on the bike, it has totally been worth it.

gallery_554_5200_2080514.jpg

gallery_554_5200_789945.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sorry to drag this back - looking for info to help me in a decision. Questions will be for all those who have designed/built a custom underseat setup.

Long term I want to replace the stock exhaust setup on my gen5. I love the underseat look as it show off the single side swing arm and why in the past I have owned 2x gen6's.

If I don't go underseat then it will Staintune high mount. Question time.

1. Have you made rear suspension mods to give extra clearance for the underseat setup?

2. The cans/slipons you chose what length and outside diameter are they?

3. With the info above in question 2 did you shorten them to fit them? Or unmodified used as delivered?

4. If you were to do it again would you do anything different?

For me an underseat conversion is a long term project.

Again this is for those that have done this before aka Veefer800Canuck, sa1713 and others.

Thanks in advance Mike from New Zealand.

Hi nzeder

I'll answer your questions as much as I can, I'll have to take a quick measurement of the cans when I am at home.

1: Yes, I raised the rear ride height as much as possible by shimming the upper shock mount, so that the lower shock eye was as close as possible to the suspension dogbone, without hitting.

2: measurements needed

3: No, did not shorten them at all.

4: I really like the outcome, I don't think I'd change anything, aside from perhaps having the pipes fabricated from stainless steel.

• Member Contributer

Hello nzeder,

My response is about the same as Rob's:

1. Have you made rear suspension mods to give extra clearance for the underseat setup? No, as my WP shock is ride height adjustable and my original settings work.

2. The cans/slipons you chose what length and outside diameter are they? I used Jamma Lazer Xtreme stainless steel cans. They are about the same diameter as Rob's which is about 76mm and the lengths (I used a non-matching pair) are 330mm and 355mm.

3. With the info above in question 2 did you shorten them to fit them? Or unmodified used as delivered? I used the Lazers as delivered.

4. If you were to do it again would you do anything different? Nope. I am extemely pleased with the outcome.

My up-pipe was made by a local fabricator who can replicate it upon request. He can add length to the outlets if you are unsure of the total length needed. All you will have to do is a final measure and cut.

Let me know if I can help with your mod.

Jim

• Member Contributer

Hello nzeder,

My response is about the same as Rob's:

1. Have you made rear suspension mods to give extra clearance for the underseat setup? No, as my WP shock is ride height adjustable and my original settings work.

2. The cans/slipons you chose what length and outside diameter are they? I used Jamma Lazer Xtreme stainless steel cans. They are about the same diameter as Rob's which is about 76mm and the lengths (I used a non-matching pair) are 330mm and 355mm.

3. With the info above in question 2 did you shorten them to fit them? Or unmodified used as delivered? I used the Lazers as delivered.

4. If you were to do it again would you do anything different? Nope. I am extemely pleased with the outcome.

My up-pipe was made by a local fabricator who can replicate it upon request. He can add length to the outlets if you are unsure of the total length needed. All you will have to do is a final measure and cut.

Let me know if I can help with your mod.

Jim

My answers are (not surprisingly, since we used the same fabricator!) very similar to Jim's.

1. Have you made rear suspension mods to give extra clearance for the underseat setup? No mods, apart from the fact that I have a Penske, which is adjusted as high as it would go w/o interference w/swing arm (IIRC). I used to have a Harris carbon fibre hugger, but it did get munched between the tire and the end cans, so I chopped it considerably. Perhaps a little more rear ride height wouldn't have hurt...

2. The cans/slipons you chose what length and outside diameter are they? My Lasers were intended for an early CBR600RR, I think. Sorry, I don't have the specs handy.

3. With the info above in question 2 did you shorten them to fit them? Or unmodified used as delivered? Standard.

4. If you were to do it again would you do anything different? Can't think of anything right now. I had Dan make me some "dB killer" inserts, and wanted him to make me some "race" inserts, but given how loud the system is with the "road" inserts installed, I don't think I would be using them anyway.

I've uploaded a short video clip to my gallery, so you can hear it in action. (Sorry for hijacking your thread, Rob!)

Ciao,

Yes thanks for the reply's and slight highjack :biggrin: all that info is good to know - sounds like everyone with a custom underseat setup has some form of suspension mod/height adjust-ability. Love all your guys bike, Rob, Jim and John a credit to you all. I can only assume the old wolf setup if no suspension mods were required would have been very small diameter end cans.

I will start my own thread once I start on a underseat exhaust project - I just have 2 others that need to be finished before I start - one of which I need to move on (reads sell to raise the $$ for the other + the VFR mods)

Cheers guys

Mike

Edited by nzeder

• Member Contributer

One of the things I wish was different on my underseat exhaust is the profile of the up pipe in the section immediately in front of the rear wheel.
I don't know if it's feasible to do, but if a fabricator could bend/pound the up pipe into an oval profile in that section, it would go a long way towards solving cleareance problems, particularly with huggers.

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

One of the things I wish was different on my underseat exhaust is the profile of the up pipe in the section immediately in front of the rear wheel.

I don't know if it's feasible to do, but if a fabricator could bend/pound the up pipe into an oval profile in that section, it would go a long way towards solving cleareance problems, particularly with huggers.

My 6th gen Remus system leaves just barely enough room to clear the hugger. I can't even get my little finger in between. It's never rubbed but is definitely a tight fit.

Man I wish it was possible to rig something like this up for the 1200F, great work! (I only assume it's not possible since nobody has done it yet?)

Thank you Zombie.

The exhaust system is surviving nicely. No packing burnout or anything. Cans still look great and the sound is like a proper V-4.

IMG_1059.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2017-06-03 at 8:06 PM, mello dude said:

Did a re-read on this thread... Still - great review on all the work Rob. :fing02:

Dusty thread alert, haha. 

Pleased to say its all still working just fine! 

IMG_6912.MOV

• Member Contributer
On 10/26/2014 at 9:23 PM, Veefer800Canuck said:

Thank you Zombie.

The exhaust system is surviving nicely. No packing burnout or anything. Cans still look great and the sound is like a proper V-4.

IMG_1059.jpg

I thought the bike look awesome in red but Wow.  The color combo you put together here is incredible.  That's the way the Honda should have sold it from the factory.  Nice job.......

• Like 1