Rc51 Front End Swap

Veefer800Canuck

Guest Pete McCrary

Calling a spade a spade, inverted forks from the factory would have been a nice up-grade to the 6th Gen about 2004 on-wards. As we are all proving, they already had all the parts on the shelf. It couldn't have been that hard for the engineers to do a little mix and match and have upgraded the bike from one year to the next.

Kind of a 6½ Generation.

• Member Contributer

i started out with CBR929 forks , yokes , calipers , disc's , bars and wheel ...

you have to have the tubes 25.5 mm above the top yoke to be able to fit the bars and position is trial and error so they clear the clocks on full lock ... and grind off the locating tabs so it looks cleaner ..and thats it really , it's very simple .

25mm is 25mm more than i have my 929 forks above top yoke.

Altho i run race clip ons from under the top yoke, Im going to drop my forks thru a few mm at a time and see what results i get. I do know at the moment the bikes steering slow...

I just hope your 25mm is fairly tank slapper free?... :unsure:

• Member Contributer

i started out with CBR929 forks , yokes , calipers , disc's , bars and wheel ...

you have to have the tubes 25.5 mm above the top yoke to be able to fit the bars and position is trial and error so they clear the clocks on full lock ... and grind off the locating tabs so it looks cleaner ..and thats it really , it's very simple .

25mm is 25mm more than i have my 929 forks above top yoke.

Altho i run race clip ons from under the top yoke, Im going to drop my forks thru a few mm at a time and see what results i get. I do know at the moment the bikes steering slow...

I've got my SP2 forks raised around 15mm from the 954 upper. What's the length diff between the 929 - SP2 forks?

Guest keith17

:huh: :mad:

Totally slapper free .. in fact i can sit up at any speed and take both hands off the bars no drama at all , in fatc it's even more stable than it was as STD

I sure wish there was a nicely laid out spreadsheet that showed what parts work with what. There seems to be healthy assortment of options for USD forks but all the other bits and what works with what.... :unsure:

Check Lacy's thread here (first pist). She has some data that might be helpful in an Excel spreadsheet format:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/56297-another-inverted-fork-conversion-6th-gen/page__p__666586__fromsearch__1entry666586

• Member Contributer

See attachment...

Thanks! Based on the set of RC forks I had in hand at one time, the SP2's were around 16-19mm shorter than the SP1's. With that and the 16mm of fork I have exposed now in my set up, I would be able to slip the 724mm 929/954 forks right in without changing geometry. I've never had any instability but I've never been over 120 indicated with this set up either. YMMV.

Guest keith17

Is it possible using the original frontbrake master cylinders instead of the CBR ones ?

i found that they sat at too much of an angle of the CBR bars and didn't look right anyway ..see picture

post-19616-126787470531_thumb.jpg

Guest VFRdude

Is it possible using the original frontbrake master cylinders instead of the CBR ones ?

i found that they sat at too much of an angle of the CBR bars and didn't look right anyway ..see picture

I am planning to use the superbike bars instead of the clipons so I guess using the VFR master cylinders with CBR calipers is not a problem?

Does it make any difference with brake power or something like that?

Guest VFRdude

Okay, I want to thank you all for the info you guys provided me.

I am going to use superbike bars version with the original VFR master cylinders

The Spiegler SC44 top yoke:

spiegleryoke.jpg

Edited by VFRdude

• Member Contributer

The OEM VFR brake master cylinder won't be the right size. The only one I know of with similar appearance (and similar calipers) is off the early CBR600RR (the ones w/o USD forks), but the calipers are black, rather than gold or silver. Master cylinders should be matched to the calipers being used...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Hi,

I own a Vtec 2002 and want to use a CBR929 fork (330mm)

Is it possible to use CBR929 brake-discs and Blackbird calipers together with the original wheel ?

Or should I have a CBR929 wheel alike also ? and how about the calipers

Or what is the best solution for this combination

Well just figured out that I need the cbr929 front wheel, so there's only one question left now;

Does a vfr caliper fits on the cbr929 fork?

No. The VFR have a different mounting scheme, so it wouldn't be a bolt on game. One benefit of these swaps is getting better braking performance. Are you trying to keep the linked brakes or ABS? Perhps getting your current forks reworked or going full out and getting AK-20 cartridges.

Guest VFRdude

No. The VFR have a different mounting scheme, so it wouldn't be a bolt on game. On benefit of these swaps is getting better braking performance. Are you trying to keep the linked brakes or ABS? Perhps getting your current forks reworked or going full out and getting AK-20 cartridges.

No more DBCS (unfortunately) and I didn't have ABS original so the end result will be CBR929 calipers together with VFR's master cylinder.Maybe when I'll find a secondhand set I will replace them.

And probably a longer gas throttle set (ST1100)

• Member Contributer

CBR900RR (929) master cylinder is 19mm

VFR800 VTEC master cylinder is 14mm

To explain the implication of this very clearly, using the VFR m/c with the 929 calipers will see the brake lever hitting the bar, most likely... :warranty:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

To explain the implication of this very clearly, using the VFR m/c with the 929 calipers will see the brake lever hitting the bar, most likely... :beatdeadhorse:

Ciao,

Where can you look up the MC specs? I am specifically looking for data on the 5th gen and the VF1000R.

Where can you look up the MC specs? I am specifically looking for data on the 5th gen and the VF1000R.

Look on the master itself. The numbers are cast into a circle on one side of the master. As stated above, I have a few - if you're in need, let me know.

Guest VFRdude

To explain the implication of this very clearly, using the VFR m/c with the 929 calipers will see the brake lever hitting the bar, most likely... :beatdeadhorse:

Ciao,

Ok I thought it was possible using the cbr929 calipers with the VFR master because KEITH17 also posted a pic on previous page 3 with the VFR masters using a CBR929 fork?????? Or maybe his VFR is not a VTEC ?

Edited by VFRdude

• Member Contributer

Look on the master itself. The numbers are cast into a circle on one side of the master. As stated above, I have a few - if you're in need, let me know.

5G - 1/2"

1000R - 5/8"

I've got a spare 1KR MC I'll try tomorrow on the R, if that's no good I'll be looking for another that will work.

• Member Contributer

5G - 1/2"

1000R - 5/8"

I've got a spare 1KR MC I'll try tomorrow on the R, if that's no good I'll be looking for another that will work.

The "spare" worked out fine, I should have used that one first before trying two others. :fing02:

It's leaking from the plunger...back to the drawing board.. :pinocchio:

Guest keith17

To explain the implication of this very clearly, using the VFR m/c with the 929 calipers will see the brake lever hitting the bar, most likely... :biggrin:

Ciao,

Ok I thought it was possible using the cbr929 calipers with the VFR master because KEITH17 also posted a pic on previous page 3 with the VFR masters using a CBR929 fork?????? Or maybe his VFR is not a VTEC ?

the VFR ones where only there for fitting , i changed to firestorm ones finally ... but the VFR ones worked fine they just didn't look right because they sat at the wrong angle

Edited by keith17

Guest VFRdude

Thank you Keith, thats what I wanted to hear.

Soon I'll open a new topic for my "project" and thanks to Canuck for letting me use his topic :rolleyes: