Rc51 Front End Swap

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer
Much appreciated, Darth. That's good info you posted.

I think I'll stick to RC 51 rotors, to avoid the alignment and position issues. They're just a little more difficult to source 2nd hand. If I don't succeed on Ebay, I will get a brand new pair of Galfer rotors.

Thanks again.

I used 330mm 954 rotors on my RC51 wheel. The nice part about the RC forks is the caliper hangers are removable. I simply free handed a set out of aluminum, cost me 20 bucks for the aluminum. Shown here...ummm....disregard any unsightly fork oil....long story...

gallery_13847_4219_243699.jpg

Broke Bike Mountain!

• 3 weeks later...

Auspanol, waddayagotinmind?

If you want lower bars on a Vtec, CBR1100XX (SuperBlackbird) bars go on and are maybe 3/4" to an inch lower.

Later CBR600s (F4 I think) went from 41mm to 43mm so they too are an option. The first Gen CBR600RR also had 43mm forks (the one with conventional brake calipers; the second Gen radial brake CBR600RR has USD forks).

• Member Contributer
The first Gen CBR600RR also had 43mm forks (the one with conventional brake calipers; the second Gen radial brake CBR600RR has USD forks).

Bzzzzzt! 45mm, mate. Got a set in the garage, as I'd coveted that model's pretty blue annodised fork caps for my ST1300...

Ciao,

• 5 months later...

Oh man.... what a terrible, terrible thread......! :blink:

It makes me want to do terrible, terrible, expensive things to "Big Red".....! :dry:

Thanks for all the great info, step-by-step, and pics!

I may have a winter project if I can stop riding my viffer long enough. :^)

Cheers! E-Ticket

Oh man.... what a terrible, terrible thread......! :blink:

It makes me want to do terrible, terrible, expensive things to "Big Red".....! :dry:

Cheers! E-Ticket

Well, if you hated this thread so much, you're DEFINETLY not going to like this one: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...1+triple+clamps

Oh man.... what a terrible, terrible thread......! :cool:

Cheers! E-Ticket

Well, if you hated this thread so much, you're DEFINETLY not going to like this one: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...1+triple+clamps

And you were right ..... you heartless bastage...!! :blink:

cheers! E-Ticket

• 9 months later...
Guest VFRdude

Hi,

I own a Vtec 2002 and want to use a CBR929 fork (330mm)

Is it possible to use CBR929 brake-discs and Blackbird calipers together with the original wheel ?

Or should I have a CBR929 wheel alike also ? and how about the calipers

Or what is the best solution for this combination

Well just figured out that I need the cbr929 front wheel, so there's only one question left now;

Does a vfr caliper fits on the cbr929 fork?

Edited by VFRdude

Guest VFRdude

no, the VFR caliper is way different from 929... its like its made for a different bike or something...

Just like the cbr929 fork is ....

Ok thanks anyway, you must understand that this material is totally new for me and of course I have several questions about it.

no, the VFR caliper is way different from 929... its like its made for a different bike or something...

Ok thanks anyway, you must understand that this material is totally new for me and of course I have several questions about it.

Sorry, that did sound sarcastic, didn't mean to flame you. :rolleyes:

Guest VFRdude

Sorry, that did sound sarcastic, didn't mean to flame you. +1.gif

No worries :cool:

Well the good news is that I've bought a complete CBR929 front now incl wheel, brake discs and calipers to continue this story and to give up DBCS

Next problem will probably be the clipons...

Well the good news is that I've bought a complete CBR929 front now incl wheel, brake discs and calipers to continue this story and to give up DBCS

Next problem will probably be the clipons...

The CBR929 forks are quite short, the best thing you could do is put on a set of superbike bars so you don't have to run clipons, this will allow you to slide the forks down as much as possible in the triple clamps, and compensate for the shorter forks.

Example:

lsl-07.jpg

You might also want to start another thread for your project, we'd love to see it as it comes together.

Guest VFRdude

Thank you very much, this is really an excellent solution :fing02:

At this moment I am gathering all the parts I'll need (lots of) and when I am finished with that part of the story, I'll start posting progress pictures in a new topic.

But I have to admit that I do this project together with a bike engineer but I'll ask him to make some pictures when I can't be around.

Got a question though, the bars and triple used in the image you posted, are those standard parts? Maybe you have a item name for it so I can check where to buy?

Thank you very much, this is really an excellent solution :fing02:

At this moment I am gathering all the parts I'll need (lots of) and when I am finished with that part of the story, I'll start posting progress pictures in a new topic.

But I have to admit that I do this project together with a bike engineer but I'll ask him to make some pictures when I can't be around.

Got a question though, the bars and triple used in the image you posted, are those standard parts? Maybe you have a item name for it so I can check where to buy?

Those are LSL Superbike bars, check the link here:

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

Guest keith17

Hi everyone , i did mine about 5 years ago and never looked back , CBR929 front end inc wheel / mudguard / brakes / bars ...then firestorm master cylinder's ..job done ...wicked ..

post-19616-126771169252_thumb.jpg

Guest VFRdude

Hi everyone , i did mine about 5 years ago and never looked back , CBR929 front end inc wheel / mudguard / brakes / bars ...then firestorm master cylinder's ..job done ...wicked ..

Thats really a nice bike , do you have some pics of the dashboard also? so I can see the bars etc. how it looks.

Maybe a complete HowTo? I would be very grateful.

Guest keith17

Bit of a bodge as far as the bars , STD blade 929 items but ontop of instead of under the yoke , and despite having no locating pin they havn't moved in 5 years of wheelies and stoppies :fing02:

post-19616-126771377141_thumb.jpg

post-19616-126771382405.jpg

• Member Contributer
The CBR929 forks are quite short, the best thing you could do is put on a set of superbike bars so you don't have to run clipons, this will allow you to slide the forks down as much as possible in the triple clamps, and compensate for the shorter forks.

I got my bike back from the shop one year with the RC51 forks pulled waaaaay up in the triples. Not sure why they did it that way, but I rode it like that for almost two years. Turn in did feel a little nicer, and I never crashed it even loaded two-up at the Kootenay Hootenanny in 2008.

So the 929/954 forks are good, even with the clipons mounted on top, using the CBR's gullwing top triple clamp.

I even have a full set as back-up in case of an emergency :mellow:

I got my bike back from the shop one year with the RC51 forks pulled waaaaay up in the triples. Not sure why they did it that way, but I rode it like that for almost two years. Turn in did feel a little nicer, and I never crashed it even loaded two-up at the Kootenay Hootenanny in 2008.

So the 929/954 forks are good, even with the clipons mounted on top, using the CBR's gullwing top triple clamp.

I even have a full set as back-up in case of an emergency :mellow:

Hmmm, interesting.

• Member Contributer

I sure wish there was a nicely laid out spreadsheet that showed what parts work with what. There seems to be healthy assortment of options for USD forks but all the other bits and what works with what.... :mellow:

Guest keith17

i started out with CBR929 forks , yokes , calipers , disc's , bars and wheel , also a 92 front mudguard ( same silver as the STD vfr one ), the only mods i had to do was remove the blade lock stops and create some new ones ( bolts through the bottom yoke with a spacer that touchs the frame ) the VFR ignition switch bolts right in place of the blade one so no probs there.

the head bearing are the same so no probs there either .

removing the linked brakes is very simple too ..

when it comes to the controls i used Honda "FIRESTORM" master cylinders as they use a hydraulic clutch where as the blade has a cable one and mount the bars on top of the yokes , it's makes the front end a little lower than STD , but boy does it turn in nicely ...

you have to have the tubes 25.5 mm above the top yoke to be able to fit the bars and postion is trial and error so they clear the clocks on full lock ... and grind off the locating tabs so it looks cleaner ..and thats it really , it's very simple .

with the rear brakes just remove everything and have just a single hose from the master cylinder to the caliper and just ignore the middle piston , all the parts are already there ie: single hole pipe and single hole banjo bolt just in differant places ..it's worked for 5 years on mine with no probs at all ...oh and RACETEC tyres excellent , you'll be wearing away your exhausts and boots everytime you go out ...