The Phantom Meets Frankenstein

The Phantom

I've had another delay :(

Since my last post I had gone through box after box of parts, sorting out what bits are going into the build and what can be eliminated from the workshop. So, that went well and things are a little more organised.

I also got the workshop sorted out - it's now at the point where I can go out and work without having to look for stuff, or move stuff...

Then I went and had a motor vehicle accident. Nothing too major, and my physical recovery should be 100% barring any complications. But that's where the delay comes in - among other injuries I managed to fracture a number of vertebrae and ribs, and that obviously limits my ability to do much more than watch tv or sleep!

This happened a week ago tonight, and I'm already going a bit mad - I am relatively mobile, as a thoracic brace (and excellent painkillers) allows me to move around the house with care. But not being able to do stuff is getting to me a bit.

Anyway, I'm making the most of it as far as the VFR goes - already have bought a bunch of bits and pieces online and have been madly planning the order in which I'll be getting stuff finished, once I am able to get my hands dirty again.

Probably will be about 4-6 weeks before I am able to actually do stuff again.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to read for your mishap.

And VFRD would not be VFRD if you actually finish your Frankenphantom :goofy:

That is one lame excuse. I happen to know a girl in a wheelchair that just rode a motorcycle across the entire United States... You're telling us you can't get at least some small amount of cleaning or electrical work done???

Tsk, Tsk Muzzah...

:goofy:

Seb, I'm certainly not comparable to Lenna :ph34r:

But as Kel hints, fractures to vertebrae definitely slow you down - I had no idea. Once I got out of the hospital I thought I'd be up and about in no time, but after the first morning that I woke up with painkillers completely worn off, and could not even begin to roll onto my side to get my brace on - I started to understand!

(and that was made even more fun by the full bladder...)

Right now I am trying to get rid of hiccups, which SUCK when you have broken bones in your chest and back!

Anyway, enough complaining, I've got it good compared to some.

Sorry if that came off as harsh and insensitive... just razzing you mate. I am sorry you are hurt and wish you the quickest of recoveries.

The MV arm is sexy for sure. Not sure if the arm will fit, but I have seen the hub and wheel on a Hawk - so maybe that can be fitted at minimum?

• Member Contributer

Re the MV swinger: Didn't BC Guy (he of the Biggus Listus) do that one already? Or is it still stuck in his basement...

By the way, speaking as a charter member of the VFR Projectus Interruptus Club, can we get a ruling? If it runs and can be (legally) ridden on the road, it qualifies as a "completed" project? :biggrin:

Ciao,

Jeez Phantom... chronic procrastination is one thing... but actually seriously injuring yourself in order to have an excuse is completely another dimensión!!!!

:unsure::unsure: :unsure: :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I have 5 slipped discs so I can say "back pain"!!! And it really sucks the pus!!!

... well now you've gone and buggered it... I was enjoying this... neverending stooooooooooryyyyyyyyy... but you've just gone too far this time mate!!

No seriously, this thread is like those books you used to get where you could choose between 2 or 3 different courses at the foot of the page.

:beer::beer::beer: :beer: Get well..

Sorry if that came off as harsh and insensitive... just razzing you mate. I am sorry you are hurt and wish you the quickest of recoveries.

The MV arm is sexy for sure. Not sure if the arm will fit, but I have seen the hub and wheel on a Hawk - so maybe that can be fitted at minimum?

Not at all mate, I wasn't sure if I'd worded my response properly either :) Stupid internet...

The arm is too wide by 32mm, but it's do-able. The MV eccentric hub diameter is the same as VFR/Triumph at 105mm, and width is within a few mm - so my Triumph hub would go right in. MV swingarm, Triumph hub/axle, Ducati wheel... this thing is more like an Airbus than a Honda :)

The later MV swingarms are 20mm longer than the earlier ones, not exactly sure when they went to the longer arm but chances are that it was around the time they went to a 312km/h top speed :unsure:

Re the MV swinger: Didn't BC Guy (he of the Biggus Listus) do that one already? Or is it still stuck in his basement...

By the way, speaking as a charter member of the VFR Projectus Interruptus Club, can we get a ruling? If it runs and can be (legally) ridden on the road, it qualifies as a "completed" project? :biggrin:

Ciao,

Yep Brendan pioneered this mod, some ten years ago! I am not sure if he ever finished that bike though - last I knew he was riding his Guzzi and all the Hondas were on hold. He also had a rather bad motorcycle accident at some point, so I hope he has recovered from that ok.

The pics aren't there, but all his measuring and testing info is - from the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080705225855/http://guukan.org/vfr/swingarm/swingarm.html

The MV swingarm goes onto ZX-10R Kawasakis fairly easily, as does the VFR swingarm, so it can't be too hard... right?

Pivot diameter is 20mm, same as the VFR. Hub diameter is the same. Overall length is near enough to being the same; the MV swingarm is 15mm shorter, so you might get a reduced wheelbase out of this mod.

Width at the pivot is different - VFR is 227mm and MV is 255mm - but Brendan discovered that you could take enough material off the inside of the VFR frame to fit the swingarm without actually removing material from the swingarm itself.

Get well soon.

Being that Oz is upside-down and all, that should help your back, right? :goofy:

Yeah it's sort of like 'perpetual gravitational traction' :comp13:

Jeez Phantom... chronic procrastination is one thing... but actually seriously injuring yourself in order to have an excuse is completely another dimensión!!!!

:unsure::unsure: :unsure: :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I have 5 slipped discs so I can say "back pain"!!! And it really sucks the pus!!!

... well now you've gone and buggered it... I was enjoying this... neverending stooooooooooryyyyyyyyy... but you've just gone too far this time mate!!

No seriously, this thread is like those books you used to get where you could choose between 2 or 3 different courses at the foot of the page.

:beer::beer::beer: :beer: Get well..

Ha, well just wait till this book gets to the "3D" part :goofy:

I had two disc ligament injuries a couple of years ago so am familiar with back pain. Well, probably truer to say I'm familiar with back pain medication :wacko: This opiate-based medication works well, but it can be hard to think straight...

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear you're in the 'wars' Muzz. Hope you heal quick and can get back to dreaming about your project. :cool:

Good stuff those meds, after my knee replacements last year I woke up in the middle of night that I had sworn off them witnessing an argument raging in my brain of the opposing sides pushing their positions. I found the almost out of body experience amusing but it gave me an insight to what it must be like for those seriously addicted to get off them, and also how they can get under a strong willed self deniers guard. I was only taking a very small dosage. Take care.

Cheers

Mike

Good to hear from you Mike!

Yes I am wary of the meds - I'm on 5mg Endone when 'immediate' pain relief is required, and 10mg Oxycontin for bedtime - so I don't wake up in severe pain. I like the low dosages, because it means you get a reminder of the actual pain that the medication is masking as it wears off, and you can keep tabs on how the medication is performing.

• Member Contributer

So the MV spindle fits in the Triumph hub? If you're going to try and graft the MV swingarm on there, why not keep the rest? Triumph spindle needs a bit of machining to work with a ducati wheel, and a handful of machined parts.

No, the Triumph, MV and VFR hub eccentrics are all the same diameter - so you can fit any of them into the MV swingarm.

As I am already partway through fitting the Triumph hub (with 848 Marchesini wheel) to the VFR swingarm, all I need is the MV swingarm... I don't like the MV wheel much so no need for the MV hub/axle assembly. And MV swingarms without hubs seem easy to get - and cheap - from Italy.

Still just an idea at this stage.

• Member Contributer

I'm still working on the triumph hub + spindle, VFR swingarm, 848 rear wheel setup. Working too much. I have the new drive pins halfway done, but at the rate I'm going, I'm just going to outsource to finish them so someone with a collet chuck. Then have to get them hardened.

Cheers Kevin - I am coming along very well actually - I haven't had any painkillers for 24hrs now, I doubt whether I could spend a lot of time on my feet before the pain got the better of me but otherwise I'm not in much discomfort at all. My GP said compression fractures heal very well because the bone fragments are pressed together, unlike normal fractures that are more open and need to generate new bone to fill gaps.

So fingers crossed I can get back into this bike sooner than I thought.

• Member Contributer

Then I went and had a motor vehicle accident. Nothing too major, and my physical recovery should be 100% barring any complications. But that's where the delay comes in - among other injuries I managed to fracture a number of vertebrae and ribs, and that obviously limits my ability to do much more than watch tv or sleep!

Well, I feel ya now... :wacko:

I made the mistake of trying to keep up with my six year-old on his push scooter in the park...and paid the price. Snapped fibula, six weeks in plaster to look forward to. Okay, I was hotdogging it a bit at the time, but still rather embarassing... I don't have any pain, so in theory I will be back out to the garage (working on getting my "spare" NC30 back on the road) fairly soon, but I do understand a bit of what you're going through! GWS, mate.

Ciao,