New Lowered Footpegs (buell Ulysses)

Guest khyron

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am two days in to riding with the new lowered pegs. I am VERY impressed with the level of detail that has been taken, and with the thoroughness of Randy in the design and tweaks being made. I am uploading some pictures to my Photobucket account, and will link them here for an initial view....these are "under development" pictures, so the final product is still changing a bit.

I think the new tapered design is much sportier than the Buell version, and fits more with the VFR. The peg bolts up with zero problems, and I had just enough adjustment in the brake pedal to move it without having to take the assembly apart and shorten the rod. I also adjusted (after the first day) the brake light switch....opps. Shifter was easy to adjust, remove it and drop it down a couple teeth, until it is about level with the ground.

OEM:

oempeg.jpg

Lowered:

secondpeg.jpg

• Member Contributer
Well, I am two days in to riding with the new lowered pegs. I am VERY impressed with the level of detail that has been taken, and with the thoroughness of Randy in the design and tweaks being made. I am uploading some pictures to my Photobucket account, and will link them here for an initial view....these are "under development" pictures, so the final product is still changing a bit.

I think the new tapered design is much sportier than the Buell version, and fits more with the VFR. The peg bolts up with zero problems, and I had just enough adjustment in the brake pedal to move it without having to take the assembly apart and shorten the rod. I also adjusted (after the first day) the brake light switch....opps. Shifter was easy to adjust, remove it and drop it down a couple teeth, until it is about level with the ground.

Those look great!

I've love to get some for my 4th gen '95. My knees don't straighten out as easily after a long ride anymore.

I could help out with any dimensions or pics to see if they would fit. Let me know what info you would need.

Guest Boss9
Inquiring minds want to know; projected price?

Somewhere around $65 - 75 U.S. for polished. $75 - 85 U.S. for anodized. See how it works out from there. There are several variables. Having only made 2 pair, as One Off's, I don't have all the production manufacturing steps established yet.

After quite a few commutes to work and back, and I enjoying these pegs...even at short distances. I have also gotten compliments from a number of my co-workers, who liked the clean look. I am short enough that the pegs make it a bit more work to not lean on the bars, as my legs take up less of my body support, but that is probably all in my Genes...I am only 5' 8", with short legs (30" inseam).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Somewhere around $65 - 75 U.S. for polished. $75 - 85 U.S. for anodized. See how it works out from there. There are several variables. Having only made 2 pair, as One Off's, I don't have all the production manufacturing steps established yet.

Whats the latest news there Boss9 ? Any production date estimates yet ?

Whats the latest news there Boss9 ? Any production date estimates yet ?

I just received what I am pretty sure will be the final test set. Randy was able to reduce the length to match the stock length, they look superb! I will be installing them and taking pictures Thursday evening hopefully, and that should do it for the development phase.

• Member Contributer

For anybody looking to use the lowered pegs for the Buell XB9/12 (#N0006.1AD), they do NOT fit the 4th gen VFR.

I didn't take a picture, but the OEM peg has a single tab (male) that attaches to the rearset (female). The Buell pegs have dual tabs which are too wide to fit into the rearset mounting tabs.

I bought the packaged set for $40 CDN. I figured it was cheap enough to try. They'll be going into the Classifieds.

For anybody looking to use the lowered pegs for the Buell XB9/12 (#N0006.1AD), they do NOT fit the 4th gen VFR.

I didn't take a picture, but the OEM peg has a single tab (male) that attaches to the rearset (female). The Buell pegs have dual tabs which are too wide to fit into the rearset mounting tabs.

I bought the packaged set for $40 CDN. I figured it was cheap enough to try. They'll be going into the Classifieds.

Will you measure the width of the rearset? It would be interesting to know how different the 4th gen is from the 6th, as that question comes up quite often.

• Member Contributer

Will you measure the width of the rearset? It would be interesting to know how different the 4th gen is from the 6th, as that question comes up quite often.

Here are some pics of the OEM footpeg on the 4th gen VFR. As you can see it's a different design from the 5th & 6th gen models.

Boss9 - would you be willing to make up pegs for us 4th gen owners? I can provide you with more pics and measurements as needed. Thanks.

OEM footpeg

DSCN0610.JPG

Rearset width is about 7/8" (21mm)

DSCN0619.JPG

DSCN0620.JPG

Buell footpeg (left) vs 1995 VFR footpeg (right) - The OEM peg uses a single male tab that fits into the rearset, but has the same 8mm hole as the newer pegs. The Buell pegs are too wide to fit into the rearset. And even if it fit, I don't think the spring would work with it.

DSCN0617.JPG

Mounting tab on footpeg

DSCN0612.JPG

Mounting tab on footpeg

DSCN0613.JPG

Guest Boss9

Here are some pics of the OEM footpeg on the 4th gen VFR. As you can see it's a different design from the 5th & 6th gen models.

Boss9 - would you be willing to make up pegs for us 4th gen owners? I can provide you with more pics and measurements as needed. Thanks.

I would be interested in making the pegs for the 4th Gen VFR. The simpliest way is to have an OEM peg to take measurements off of, or an entire rearset and peg. I can do it without the rearset, but would need several other measurements, and a OEM peg would still make it easier. However I'm just over booked until about the middle of September with new design request and committments. Meanwhile if someone wants to volunteer to work with me or Tightwad to gather the required measurements, I can at least have it available to get started. At first look I would almost want to change the single maile tab on the peg to a conventional fork tab, with the spring in the middle. Probably use a 5th or 6th Gen spring. Not neccessary, but would be stronger and better fitting. Let some of the forum members comment on what they think. Of course if a stock spring is $50 then it's not a good idea :angry: Would have to include new springs with each set.

• Member Contributer
I would be interested in making the pegs for the 4th Gen VFR. The simpliest way is to have an OEM peg to take measurements off of, or an entire rearset and peg. I can do it without the rearset, but would need several other measurements, and a OEM peg would still make it easier. However I'm just over booked until about the middle of September with new design request and committments. Meanwhile if someone wants to volunteer to work with me or Tightwad to gather the required measurements, I can at least have it available to get started. At first look I would almost want to change the single maile tab on the peg to a conventional fork tab, with the spring in the middle. Probably use a 5th or 6th Gen spring. Not neccessary, but would be stronger and better fitting. Let some of the forum members comment on what they think. Of course if a stock spring is $50 then it's not a good idea +1.gif Would have to include new springs with each set.

Great! Either design would be fine with me. I checked on Ron Ayers website and the spring costs $3.55, so that's not an issue.

I could get you dimensions of the OEM peg and rearset as needed. Let me know what you need.

Realistically it sounds like you wouldn't have a prototype until October though, which would only leave a few weeks of riding season. But I'm sure this would benefit other riders.

Guest Boss9
I would be interested in making the pegs for the 4th Gen VFR. The simpliest way is to have an OEM peg to take measurements off of, or an entire rearset and peg. I can do it without the rearset, but would need several other measurements, and a OEM peg would still make it easier. However I'm just over booked until about the middle of September with new design request and committments. Meanwhile if someone wants to volunteer to work with me or Tightwad to gather the required measurements, I can at least have it available to get started. At first look I would almost want to change the single maile tab on the peg to a conventional fork tab, with the spring in the middle. Probably use a 5th or 6th Gen spring. Not neccessary, but would be stronger and better fitting. Let some of the forum members comment on what they think. Of course if a stock spring is $50 then it's not a good idea +1.gif Would have to include new springs with each set.

Great! Either design would be fine with me. I checked on Ron Ayers website and the spring costs $3.55, so that's not an issue.

I could get you dimensions of the OEM peg and rearset as needed. Let me know what you need.

Realistically it sounds like you wouldn't have a prototype until October though, which would only leave a few weeks of riding season. But I'm sure this would benefit other riders.

I can send you some pdf drawings showing the dimensions I would need. I can probably get this done by early september, I have several designs to leverage off of. Good info on the spring. I'll send off the pdf drawings tomorrow. Are you interested in the drop peg version or the straight peg version? I will eventually do both.

• Member Contributer
I can send you some pdf drawings showing the dimensions I would need. I can probably get this done by early september, I have several designs to leverage off of. Good info on the spring. I'll send off the pdf drawings tomorrow. Are you interested in the drop peg version or the straight peg version? I will eventually do both.

Good news on the timing. I'm interested in the drop peg. My knees need a little less bend in them these days.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boss9

OEM:

Lowered:

secondpeg.jpg

Finally Ready !! The last modifications to the Taper Peg are complete and tested. I will start making them in bulk next week, but have a few underway now. I know that Tightwad is going to offer them on his website, and they are available now on my website also. I'll be making a black pair to take pics of in a few days, but there are enough pictures of black pegs that you can see what they will look like for now. My website is new, so if you order something, send me an email and let me know you ordered. I will start on the 4th Gen in a few weeks, and hopefully it wont take as long. Sorry to keep everyone waiting so long.

Boss9

• Member Contributer

OEM:

Lowered:

secondpeg.jpg

Finally Ready !! The last modifications to the Taper Peg are complete and tested. I will start making them in bulk next week, but have a few underway now. I know that Tightwad is going to offer them on his website, and they are available now on my website also. I'll be making a black pair to take pics of in a few days, but there are enough pictures of black pegs that you can see what they will look like for now. My website is new, so if you order something, send me an email and let me know you ordered. I will start on the 4th Gen in a few weeks, and hopefully it wont take as long. Sorry to keep everyone waiting so long.

Boss9

Great news, ordering link ?

Guest Boss9

OEM:

Lowered:

Boss9

Great news, ordering link ?

Visit My Website -Knight Design LLC

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have been tracking this topic, Randy now has the Pegs available for sale! Two versions are available, the SideTrax and CrossTrax models. Both have a 1" in drop (future may include a no-drop option). The CrossTrax is a tapered peg...gives it a sportier look, and has a waffle design with 3 holes drilled through the pattern. I currently have this set mounted on my bike, and I find the traction to be very good. the CrossTrax is also a shorter peg, which may provide a small bit of ground clearance. In addition, neither contains a peg feeler, so some clearance is gained there

I am not a super aggressive rider (at least not in Dallas), so I haven't drug a peg yet, but I have caught my toe when under the shifter in a turn....so I am learning to be careful. I feel a bit more of the buzz because there is no rubber top, but the look is a great upgrade, and the 1" drop helps with knee position.

Randy has been awesome to work with, as has his wife Alicia. Their attention to detail, and desired to build a quality product is second to none. I am hoping to talk them into more VFR specific products, so hopefully the pegs turn out to be a good investment for them!

Pegs are available from my site as well as his. Pricing has recently been changed...price is now the same for Polished or Anodized (Clear or Black). 5th gen Pegs are coming soon I believe, onedowneaster has been very willing to help in the fitment there, and I believe the same pegs will work for 1998+ models!

Randy's website:

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/index.htm

My website is in my Signature

• 2 weeks later...
Will these 6th gen pegs fit on the 5th gen?

Yes, they should fit. A small adjustment was made to the mounting that enabled them to fit the 5th gen bikes. I have a set in black if you are interested, or I can get the polished or clear anodized versions.