New Lowered Footpegs (buell Ulysses)

Guest khyron

This weekend i decided to put on my new foot pegs i bought a month ago(procrastinator). I also had my Corbin seat "redone" by someone who reforms seats for the crew at the ST-1300 site www.st-owners.com. Putting on the foot pegs was a breeze, to make them solid just use the washer that is normally on the outside of the OEM pegs and put them between the new pegs and the bracket, they are solid after that, not wobbly at all.

So when it came to adjusting the brake and shifter, the shifter was no problem, the brake, a bit more of a problem. I took off the adjusting nut to get more threads. I went for a ride today to test it out and to scrub in my new D220 rear. During the ride the rear felt like i was locking it up sometimes, a bit unnerving. When i got home, the rear brake rotor was HOT, and very difficult to turn. It was fine when cooled down.

I believe that the extreme adjusting of the pedal is what did it. I had the screw turned all the way in, and there was no delay before the cylinder was engaging, and i backed it off a little and it "seemed" the wheel turned easier. Has anyone run into this?

I am going to heat and bend the pedal to get it where i want and not turn the adjuster all the way, i want some slack.

The good news is that the seat and pedal combo has done the trick of eliminating "Butt Burn", something long legged skinny thigh people deal with on M/C. The seat reforming entailed of sending it to Fla, along with pictures of you sitting on the bike.

Basically he dishes out the seat area and builds up the thigh area. PM me if anyone would like to get a hold of him.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I realize that this is an old post, but I wondered if I could get some more info, as I can't find any, anywhere.

1. It's specifically the Buell Ulysses pegs that are a straight swap, is it? I've seen other posts elsewhere that take a Buell XB9S pair of footpegs, a lot of grinding, bushings and sleeves to make them work. I'm looking for a more clean solution. Ref is http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...amp;qpid=335047

2. I've seen the BLS option for this also (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t34097.html), but it looks like there's potential interference with the sidestand.

Not that I care about that much, I always leave the bike just lying on the ground. <grin>

Cheers,

Get the BLS blocks. The sidestand does touch on the 5th gen, but it affects nothing and if it bothers you you can hold it off with a small bolt. I'm picky but ended up letting it touch the stand. LOVE the BLS blocks!

The Buell Ulysses mod was so easy, it can be done in a couple of minutes and with no extra work necessary.

There is a washer that is on the outside of the pin that holds on the VFR pegs, just put this washer between the Buell pegs and the peg holder to make it a bit tighter and you are done. No bushings or grinding, a straight swap.

Hmmm...

We have competing input.

Yaknow, I think I'm going to have a go with the Buell Ulysses footpegs 'cuz they're real cheap compared to the BLS solution, plus if I f**k up or it doesn't work, I can sell them (at huge mark-down) to a pal as spares. Thanks peeps.

The biggest problem seems to be sorting out the brake, but even that doesn't seem to be insurmountable for a shade-tree mechanic like me.

So, I'll hie myself to the local HD dealer tomorrow.

Again, thanks.

• 1 month later...
Yaknow, I think I'm going to have a go with the Buell Ulysses footpegs 'cuz they're real cheap compared to the BLS solution, plus if I f**k up or it doesn't work, I can sell them (at huge mark-down) to a pal as spares. Thanks peeps.

Well, (finally, after being seriously messed around by the local H-D dealer) the Buell pegs are fitted. Really easy. No problems with the gear lever, brake lever or light switch adjustments.

I've only had a chance to take a short ride so far, but I definitely felt less 'pretzeled' than before. There's no reduction in ground clearance, either, as the 'hero' nubs on the Buell pegs are much shorter than the vfr's.

Thanks for the info khyron. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
This weekend i decided to put on my new foot pegs i bought a month ago(procrastinator). I also had my Corbin seat "redone" by someone who reforms seats for the crew at the ST-1300 site www.st-owners.com. Putting on the foot pegs was a breeze, to make them solid just use the washer that is normally on the outside of the OEM pegs and put them between the new pegs and the bracket, they are solid after that, not wobbly at all.

So when it came to adjusting the brake and shifter, the shifter was no problem, the brake, a bit more of a problem. I took off the adjusting nut to get more threads. I went for a ride today to test it out and to scrub in my new D220 rear. During the ride the rear felt like i was locking it up sometimes, a bit unnerving. When i got home, the rear brake rotor was HOT, and very difficult to turn. It was fine when cooled down.

I believe that the extreme adjusting of the pedal is what did it. I had the screw turned all the way in, and there was no delay before the cylinder was engaging, and i backed it off a little and it "seemed" the wheel turned easier. Has anyone run into this?

I am going to heat and bend the pedal to get it where i want and not turn the adjuster all the way, i want some slack.

The good news is that the seat and pedal combo has done the trick of eliminating "Butt Burn", something long legged skinny thigh people deal with on M/C. The seat reforming entailed of sending it to Fla, along with pictures of you sitting on the bike.

Basically he dishes out the seat area and builds up the thigh area. PM me if anyone would like to get a hold of him.

So, if I am reading this right, the Uly foot pegs can be installed without any grinding and did not require adding a bushing due to the holes in the pegs being larger than the VFR pin. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know the part # for a pair of Uly pegs? Apparently most people go with the XB12R or XB9R pegs (part # N0006.1AD which is a pair of pegs for about $26 + tax) but the pegs have to be ground and the hole in the pegs is larger than the VFR pin and a bushing has to be added to take up the slack. The less "rigging" the better in my mind.

Also, I am NOT a metalurgist. Please tell me how to go about heating and bending the brake pedal. I don't want to weaken it and have it fail when I need it most. I do have a propane torch. I just don't know how hot to get it before trying to bend it, etc.

I am an older rider (63 yo) and during the summer I often take long trips, sometimes coast to coast, and lowering the pegs on my 99 VFR should help my knees a lot on long trips. I have a Sargent seat, which I like a lot, but you sit lower "into" it which made the seat/peg distance even less than stock and takes a toll on my knees. I find I have to stand up and do other calisthentics (sp) from time to time while riding just to get circulation back into my knees. Has this conversion proven to be a good one for those of you who have made it? Any downsides to making it?

Vic

Buell Pegs FS- $30 shipped, brand new in plastic bags, looks like I miised simon here, PM if you want them thanks, Doug

Doug, there talking about Ulysses footpegs here, is that what you have or are they the XB12/9 pegs?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

If you use the part number N0006.1AD at the HD, you get the pair together for $25.00. The valve guide gives a nice fit with no modes to the bike, using the stock pin.

• Member Contributer

There are also these ones....

Silver not black

med_gallery_8630_2135_43929.jpg

I'm going to hit an HD dealer this week and see if this number is still any good.

Edited by dweese

• Member Contributer

I picked up a pair of Buell footpegs from my local HD dealer about 18 months ago for less than $30.00 ($26.00, I think). Took maybe an hour or so total to grind them slightly, remove the old ones, install the new ones, adjust the gear shift pedal, and heat and bend the brake pedal a bit. No "sleeve" was necessary. They fit correctly and work great. Very inexpensive mod with real ergonomic benefit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just to add my input, and to keep this thread alive...

I stopped at an HD dealer yesterday, and checked out an '09 Ulysses and the pegs that were on it. I inquired what the pegs would cost at the parts counter for an '09. She looked them up and even wrote down the part numbers for me to take with;

N0503.4AK

N0502.4AK

$46 Each, and they'd have to order them

Im assuming these are the black versions, like the '09 on the floor had. I would like to know if they're available in silver too.

As well, are we clear on the fact that the Ulysses pegs are the ones that require no modifications, or cutting, grinding, or installing other hardware to get them to fit right? Im interested in an install that requires little or no modifications at all.

If anyone happens to know what year the Ulysses had the silver pegs and if that model year is the same as the new ones, that'd be appreciated too.

• Member Contributer
If anyone happens to know what year the Ulysses had the silver pegs and if that model year is the same as the new ones, that'd be appreciated too.

I picked mine up yesterday from the local HD parts place. Really nice group of people, told them I was putting their pegs on my Honda. Parts guy just smiled and said 'As long as you ride thats all matters.' :biggrin:

This part number is still good and yes they are silver, and half the price of the black ones. I think I paid $33canadian per peg for mine.

med_gallery_8630_2135_43929.jpg

Have yet to install them, but just a quick side by side looks, shows a nice drop.

100_2619.jpg

Ya Ya Ya I know, the bike needs to be cleaned, first ride of the year last week ending in a rain storm. I'm doing work to my house and don't have an outside tap for the hose installed yet.

• Member Contributer

Excellent....sounds good. As long as the Canadian/US part numbers are the same, I'll be ordering a set...

Thanks for the info...

• Member Contributer
Excellent....sounds good. As long as the Canadian/US part numbers are the same, I'll be ordering a set...

Thanks for the info...

Part numbers I got where from some one else's upgrade (I think the picutres belong to House) so they should be a US part number.

• Member Contributer
Can anyone post a photo of the Uly. pegs fitted to their VFR?

Took about 5 mins to swap it out...

Before

100_2620.jpg

After

100_2621.jpg

My right knee is now about 2inchs lower than before

100_2622.jpg

However they are not a 100% fit, the VFR peg has an 8mm hole for pin, the Buel has an 11mm hole. So there is a little play, I added the extra washer and that seemed to tighen everything up nicely, however if you fold the peg up the spring does not pull the peg 100% back down in to place. But once in place it holds it there with no issue. I may still take a file to it, as the casing is not that clean on some of the edges.

Guest Hootch

I put a set of after market Ulysses pegs on my '98, no grinding necessary, but I think I am going to get rid of them put the regular XB pegs on. The Ulysses seem to "stick" out further than the regular XB's as you can see in the photo posted by dweese. The space between the hole where the bolt goes and where the footrest of the peg starts.

100_2621.jpg

The regular XB's don't seem to stick out as far.

N00061AD_large.jpg

Also, anybody have any problems with shifting after putting the Ulysses or XB's on in regards to the side stand? How many "teeth" did you lower the shifter? I lowered mine two "notches" and when I go to slide my boot under the shift lever, the side of my boot hits the little "peg" that sticks out the side of the side stand (By "peg" I mean the little peg for when you are lowering the side stand when sitting on the bike). I guess I made need to move the shifter up a notch, but am curious if anybody else ran into this.

Kevin

• Member Contributer
I put a set of after market Ulysses pegs on my '98, no grinding necessary, but I think I am going to get rid of them put the regular XB pegs on. The Ulysses seem to "stick" out further than the regular XB's as you can see in the photo posted by dweese. The space between the hole where the bolt goes and where the footrest of the peg starts.

100_2621.jpg

The regular XB's don't seem to stick out as far.

N00061AD_large.jpg

Also, anybody have any problems with shifting after putting the Ulysses or XB's on in regards to the side stand? How many "teeth" did you lower the shifter? I lowered mine two "notches" and when I go to slide my boot under the shift lever, the side of my boot hits the little "peg" that sticks out the side of the side stand (By "peg" I mean the little peg for when you are lowering the side stand when sitting on the bike). I guess I made need to move the shifter up a notch, but am curious if anybody else ran into this.

Kevin

I have not lowered my shifter... but really need to....

So, I will find out in the morning.

Remember, you can bend the kickstand peg back and down to clear.

thanks for the heads up

bill