No Juice - New Battery...what To Get

Guest ScottpRedRider

Guest ScottpRedRider

Hi all - looking for a battery to get. Orrignal lasted over 3 yrs and will not hold a charge now. MC Dealer wants over 120 shackles for a new one - WOW! Gotta be able to find a decent battery for much less than that - yes? Sears didn't have anything in stock - order one and take over wk to get it - $100+!! Anybody know where to get one (store or on line), what should I get? Thanks for the help -

Scott

• Member Contributer

I recommend the Yuasa YTZ 14S. It is actually the replacement part for the Honda ST 1300, but it fits the sixth generation VFR. Been using the same one for three years now and it still works as good as new. I paid 92 dollars for mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Hi all - looking for a battery to get. Orrignal lasted over 3 yrs and will not hold a charge now. MC Dealer wants over 120 shackles for a new one - WOW! Gotta be able to find a decent battery for much less than that - yes? Sears didn't have anything in stock - order one and take over wk to get it - $100+!! Anybody know where to get one (store or on line), what should I get? Thanks for the help -

Scott

Will this fit in a 5th gen?? I understand it is shorter but need something new and dont know what to get. Thanks George

• Member Contributer

+1.gif on buying Yuasa.

My OEM died after 8 years of service, bought an "aftermarket". died within a year. Brought it back to the dealer, paid the price difference for a Yuasa and picked up the type that my VFR came with.

I got the one suggested - for all intennsive purposes it has the same dimensions as the one I removed. Set them side by side and they line up pretty identical. Didn't have to do anything...... Good Luck. Company shipped quickly (even around X-Mas) and all was good.

• Member Contributer

POWERMAX GTZ12-S Battery $78.75

*Sealed and non-spillable AGM battery

*Maintenance-free construction

*12 volt 8.6Ah

*Powerful 190 cold cranking amps

*Replaces YTZ12-S sealed battery

*Shipped pre-charged and ready to install

*12 month warranty

==================================

Yuasa

YTZ14-S Sealed Battery $98.95

*Sealed non-spillable AGM battery

*Maintenance-free

*12 volt 11.2 amp hour

*Powerful 230 cold cranking amps

*Shipped pre-charged and ready to install

*6"L x 3 7/16"W x 4 3/8"H

*12 month warranty

==================================

Seems the Yuasa is the better battery for the price.

I recommend the Yuasa YTZ 14S. It is actually the replacement part for the Honda ST 1300, but it fits the sixth generation VFR. Been using the same one for three years now and it still works as good as new. I paid 92 dollars for mine.
Will this fit in a 5th gen?? I understand it is shorter but need something new and dont know what to get. Thanks George

Yes it will. Just need to fabricate a spacer out of 3/4" plywood to slip in the bottom of the battery box.

I used the new battery itself as a template. Spot it on the plywood, trace around the bottom of the battery as small as you can and cut out.

Sand, smooth and drop in. New YTZ-14S then sits at the same height as the stock YTX-12BS and the terminals are oriented the same. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I just ordered the YTZ14-S Sealed Battery and the Water-Proof Battery Tender. Total cost was $136.00 :D

Stealership price was $180 for the same stuff. Thank you guy for all your help. George

Archived