Gutting A 5th Gen

Guest Lopeman

Guest Lopeman

med_gallery_7194_2513_32106.jpg

Here are some photos of the core and exhaust. i reckon i can just reuse the old packing but if it don't work then my dad is a fiber glassier by trade so i have easy access to that

Well I have cut the end off the can and have pulled out the baffle, i am going to tack the end back on the can with no baffels in just to see what is sounds like, just the metal can, nothing else. should be LOUD! almost defiantly to loud but is just an experiment.

The baffel has 3 chambers with the exhaust entering int the first chamber, passing through a pipe into the 3rd chamber, then back into the middle chamber and then through a pipe out the end of the exhaust.

Above is the shell, core and packing

med_gallery_7194_2513_6539.jpg

this is the flow of the exhaust, this photo was taken after i cut the end off the core. The RED shows the path of the original exhasut gasses and the BLUE shows the path that the gasses will follow when its complete.

med_gallery_7194_2513_49328.jpg

this is looking down the baffle with the end cut off, the tube on the right will be the only one that is used now

i went and bought some stainless tig welding rods today so am all set to tack the end cap on and see what just the can sounds like. I'm aware that it will most likely be ungodly loud and may rob some power but its just an experiment.

good idea about buying a core from an exhaust manufacturer, never thought of that. will keep that in mind if the cut baffle sounds like crap

I cut the last cap off, the one near the exit of the pipe, so i am essentially reducing the baffle from 3 chambers to 1. may still be to loud but i got the exhaust 2nd hand for cheap so i don't mind to much if it all goes pear shaped.

if some one could pm me or send me an email on how to post photos i should be able to get them on the site.

if any one was thinking of doing this pm me with any questions

will finish off my little project on Saturday, as i have to go but some stainless rods so i can TIG it up.

• Member Contributer

Someone here posted a thread awhile back detaling how they gutted and shortened their stock Gen5 can (with a video). Might try a search...not sure if the post survived the database enema.

• Member Contributer

I don't have the link, but I seem to remember it was one of Aussie members. Not sure if that helps. he actually seemed to do away with the muffler completely and had a real shorty kinda muffler thingy that just popped out from between the rear tire and the cat. I thought it looked pretty cool.

Short of that, look out for a nice used can from eBay and make it work. I did some trading through this site and wound up with the D&D...freaking sounds awesome.

• Member Contributer

that shorty was way ,loud and he did it to remove crash damage. Someone else drilled theirs on a 5th gen, the gutting was i think a 6th.

of course i have everything i need to cut it apart and reweld it so iave beeb thinking about it...

chris

• Member Contributer

I tried a search for the post, but couldn't find it...

IIRC it was a member from California, and they shortened the stock muffler to about half it's original length (cut the endcap off, shortened muffler body, then rewelded endcap back on). It sounded really good on the vid clip, and looked much better than the stock bazooka tube.

Of course...I'm all for the Staintune, though. :warranty:

• Member Contributer
I don't have the link, but I seem to remember it was one of Aussie members. Not sure if that helps. he actually seemed to do away with the muffler completely and had a real shorty kinda muffler thingy that just popped out from between the rear tire and the cat. I thought it looked pretty cool.

Short of that, look out for a nice used can from eBay and make it work. I did some trading through this site and wound up with the D&D...freaking sounds awesome.

Is this it?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=19224&hl=

• Member Contributer

Is this it?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=19224&hl=

Maybe...but I thought there was another one too, with only one exhaust side exit...maybe it's just my case of CRS...

• Member Contributer
Maybe...but I thought there was another one too, with only one exhaust side exit...maybe it's just my case of CRS...

There was another that I remember seeing that had a small muffler attached where the collector exits near the footpeg.

Guest Lopeman

" Fork out the $$$'s. Your VFR deserves it."

i would mate but i'm a struggling engineering student, colud only just scrape enough to buy the bike by its self

There was another that I remember seeing that had a small muffler attached where the collector exits near the footpeg.

There was a guy from Oz that put a Staintune spud in the outlet of the cat, and had no other muffler of any kind. I think Rob has some pics(veefer800canuck).

There was another US member who shortened their Yoshimura can, and posted about it. He also had one or more vids.

Guest Lopeman

well i just picked up a 5th gen exhaust of ebay for AU $110, about $80 US, so i'm going to have a play and gut it out myself. if anyone has done this before any pointers would be appriciated

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lopeman

just got the exhaust in the mail, had a look down the back of the pipe, it seems the internal pipe is wavy i.e. not straight but travels up and down alont the inside of the exhaust, is every vfr exhaust like this or just 5th gen

You know, if you'r eleft with an empty round can, you could source a replacement core(round perforated tube) from one of the aftermarket companies, and use that inside your stock can, with some steel wool or fiberglass packing. Shouldn't be too hard since you can weld, and you'll have much less invested in that, than in a "real" staintune, with the stealth look of a factory part! :thumbsup:

Fork out the $$$'s. Your VFR deserves it.

I've seen a lot of different exhaust brands, and as a fabricator and (certified aerospace)welder, I have to say, that there are some out there that I would not put on my vfr. If I can make the same or better on my own for less, why pay someone? :rolleyes:

You know, if you'r eleft with an empty round can, you could source a replacement core(round perforated tube) from one of the aftermarket companies, and use that inside your stock can, with some steel wool or fiberglass packing. Shouldn't be too hard since you can weld, and you'll have much less invested in that, than in a "real" staintune, with the stealth look of a factory part! :thumbsup:

Eggs Zachary what I was going to suggest, but without the packing. You should be able to get s/steel perforated core from any muffler shop (or at least those that make their own mufflers). I bought some core a couple of years ago when I was trying to quieten my butchered (not by me) zorsts on my VTR1000.

If you were to put perforated tube in the zorst, it would be essentially the same as most aftermarket ones, except the heavy-duty stainless that Sankei use to make these things would make it resonate/vibrate less, so if anything it would sound better.

Edited by enzed_viffer

just got the exhaust in the mail, had a look down the back of the pipe, it seems the internal pipe is wavy i.e. not straight but travels up and down alont the inside of the exhaust, is every vfr exhaust like this or just 5th gen

Most exhausts are like this: my VFR750 was the same, and my VTR1000. It's a fairly standard construction.

Eggs Zachary what I was going to suggest, but without the packing. You should be able to get s/steel perforated core from any muffler shop (or at least those that make their own mufflers). I bought some core a couple of years ago when I was trying to quieten my butchered (not by me) zorsts on my VTR1000.

If you were to put perforated tube in the zorst, it would be essentially the same as most aftermarket ones, except the heavy-duty stainless that Sankei use to make these things would make it resonate/vibrate less, so if anything it would sound better.

Wouldn't hurt to try, anyway. This is one of the things I'd like to try with my vtec 'zorst one day too.

Wouldn't hurt to try, anyway. This is one of the things I'd like to try with my vtec 'zorst one day too.

The advantage of putting perforated core in, rather than just leaving all the guts out, is that you will get better exhaust gas flow.

Plus it should sound better (less like a clapped-out muffler).

Edited by enzed_viffer

The advantage of putting perforated core in, rather than just leaving all the guts out, is that you will get better exhaust gas flow.

Plus it should sound better (less like a clapped-out muffler).

Maybe if the perforations were very small. Too large a hole (1/8th inch or more), and I don't think it would do much without the packing as well. The packing serves to absorb the sound waves, but also to guide the zorsted particles out. It seems to me that running the core without the packing would create turbulence, and decrease the velocity of the gases, hurting the power output. Or summat. :joystick: