Another Frankenviffer

Guest DonnyBallGame

Just want to add that I respect that this is DonnyBallGame's topic! I realise I have a lot of my own stuff in it, I'll start a separate topic this week and get some pics of mine into it.

Donny says "I am going to keep the VFR" - that's me too, and a good reason why I/we are doing this mod. I can't actually imagine a day when I'll sell it, so cost and degree of difficulty doesn't enter the equation.

Tyrmeltr, I had the same brake system mods as you do, and came to the same conclusion - and solution : ) My mates reckon they've never seen a VFR go so fast... it helps that I spent 18 months on a ZZR-250 before the VFR (due to our tiered licencing system), so corner speed was never an issue : )

Guest DonnyBallGame

Got my new axle today! Man is it shiny. Below is a picture of all 3 axles lined up in the order of, Stock VFR Axle, My Axle, and Yamaha R1 Axle. Everything fit up like it should.

imgp0698ms2.jpg

Here is a shot of the Bushing that I installed into the Left fork Tube to take up the leftover space that the necked down axle required. It has an OD of 22mm and an ID of 18mm.

imgp0701rf3nx8.jpg

This is as far as I got tonite. My Triple Tree Clamp will be here soon. Then I can get the spacers made up.

imgp0702tz8tm0.jpg

Guest DonnyBallGame

Sorry for the huge pictures guys. I won't do that again. If it make it any easier, you can see them on my Blogspot also.

Edited by DonnyBallGame

Sorry for the huge pictures guys. I won't do that again. If it make it any easier, you can see them on my Blogspot also.

I couldn't see the pics for some reason, perhaps Blogspot doesn't allow hotlinking?

Anyhow, I uploaded them to Imageshack and resized them, hope that's OK with you.

And the new axle looks great. Way to go.

Can't wait to see the whole thing together!

Guest DonnyBallGame

You the MAN Rob! Thanks a bunch.

SAFE-T, I am using my VFR Wheel and Rotors. I have a print of the Axle that needs to be updated. I will post that as well once it is complete.

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DonnyBallGame

Ran into a hich-up tonight. I installed my new bearing on my CBR929 Lower Clamp. Put the new races in the frame. They are fully seated. Slid the lower clamp up into position, and wammy. The upper bearing does not go on far enough. I start looking things over, and find this,

t_IMGP0714i_e5aam_e655eb0f.jpg

Is the bottom of my Lower Clamp suppose to look like this? I have a CBR900 to look at also. I got to thinking, Is the stem fully pressed into the casting that holds the forks?

The CBR900 is the on in the upper portion of the picture.

t_IMGP0716i_e5aam_1065b465.jpg

The difference you see in length is what I am short. (I know, Iknow, no jokes please.)

[t_IMGP0718i_e5aam_895a052a.jpg

Any help and Ideas are greatly appriciated. Thanks

Edited by DonnyBallGame

I wonder if the CBR steering stem is not pressed up into the lower triple all the way?

Could you have them both pressed out and compare?

Maybe you could use the VFR stem in the CBR triple if the lower dimensions are the same? IE: the part that press-fits into the hole?

Anyhow, if you had both stems out, it would be a piece of cake to tell if one is shorter than the other.

And if you leave the new bearing on the CBR stem and just push the stem down, it'll come off the bearing and the triple both at the same time. Saves you trying to raise the bearing for removal prior to pressing the stem out. Easy to wreck the bearing doing that. Instead, just press the stem downwards out of both items at once.

Ahh, now I see - I PM'd you regarding bearing sizes, but I think the problem is where the stem sits in the bottom triple.

Will photograph mine in a couple of hours and post the result.

Guest DonnyBallGame

Wahoo! Back in business. I pressed out the stem to investigate. The Stem was not fully pressed into the casting. So I turned it over andd fully pressed it back into the hole. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Now on to get my steering stops drilled and tapped into my frame. I will post up the pics when I am done with that.

Cool, glad you got it sorted! I was just about to post pics of mine which would have just reinforced what was already suggested...

Edit: The pics in question are up in my front end swap topic.

Guest DonnyBallGame

Well, I ended the day with my favorite new catch phrase,"and Bob's you uncle."

I had a good day today with good progress. I will post up pics tomorrow. Not much different from what Swiffer did with his front swap thou. I got my steering stops drill and tapped in the lower clamp today. They needed to be adjusted so that the outer portions of the clamp did not bash the Radiator. Once adjusted I checked the steering lock. Not working. After further review, I just need to tickle the holes in the frame a little bit to get the "Dead Bolt" to drop right in. I can see here where the RC51 Clamp (Since it is Gulwinged) may offer more "Lock to Lock" movement and allow the Steering Lock to work as is. Because it is lower on the ends and would not hit the Radiator as early.

I then moved on the the oil cooler. Again, thank you swiffer for the idea. I cut my pieces of wood and put a nice little bow in the cooler. Insert ,"and Bob's your Uncle" here. Mounted it back on the bike and admired my work.

Once done with the oil cooler, I decided to see what is going to happen with my clip-ons. So I inserted both fork tubes and axle. I set the dimension from the lower clamp and axle centerline. Dang, I only have 15-18mm above the CBR929 top clamp. Looks like I will be mounting the clip-ons below the top clamp. Oh well, there is no feeling like cutting into a good set of Helibars to raise them up. Wish I could find some that were all scratch up and know body to want them.

Anyway, that is that. Ended the day working on a Pinewood Derby Car. Definitely a high note.

Edited by DonnyBallGame

Anyway, that is that. Ended the day working on a Pinewood Derby Car. Definitely a high note.

Oooh, such fun! I'll have to post up pics of the one my son and I made a couple of years ago. :thumbsup:

Oh, and your bike still doesn't exist because there are no pictures. :goofy:

Guest DonnyBallGame
Oh, and your bike still doesn't exist because there are no pictures. :goofy:

Here it is in all it glory. :wub:

t_IMGP0713i_e5aam_ce8ca068.jpg

More detailed pics in the AM.

Edited by DonnyBallGame

I got my steering stops drill and tapped in the lower clamp today. They needed to be adjusted so that the outer portions of the clamp did not bash the Radiator. Once adjusted I checked the steering lock. Not working. After further review, I just need to tickle the holes in the frame a little bit to get the "Dead Bolt" to drop right in. I can see here where the RC51 Clamp (Since it is Gulwinged) may offer more "Lock to Lock" movement and allow the Steering Lock to work as is. Because it is lower on the ends and would not hit the Radiator as early.

Did you drill/tap the bottom triple itself?

I haven't checked my radiator clearance yet...

Once done with the oil cooler, I decided to see what is going to happen with my clip-ons. So I inserted both fork tubes and axle. I set the dimension from the lower clamp and axle centerline. Dang, I only have 15-18mm above the CBR929 top clamp. Looks like I will be mounting the clip-ons below the top clamp.

When you say you set the dimension from the lower clamp - do you mean you measured from where the lower triple clamps onto the fork down to the axle? Or from the 'top' of the CBR lower triple, which would equate to the 'top' of the VFR lower triple.

Great to hear you're making progress. I've been stuck with dometic chores for most of the weekend...

Guest DonnyBallGame
why dont you guys just relocate the oil cooler? like put it right below the radiator or something.

I looked into that. My feelings there are that the exhaust would bake the oil rather than letting the cair cool it.

Guest DonnyBallGame
Or from the 'top' of the CBR lower triple, which would equate to the 'top' of the VFR lower triple.

You are correct. I put the axle back to the same distance from the bottom of the frame as it was before. The top of the lower triple did not move. So that is where I took my measurement from.

Guest DonnyBallGame

OK, Here are the some pictures of the areas that I had to watch out for for clearance. The first one is a picture of my steering stops.

t_IMGP0719i_e5aam_a4df0584.jpg

This is showing the left side radiator clearance. You can dial in as much or as little as you would like once to put in you new bump stops.

t_IMGP0720i_e5aam_1721c623.jpg

Next is showing the Right side Radiator and Fuse Box. I had to put a step in the fuse box mounting tab to move it to the right roughly .125 of an inch.

t_IMGP0723i_e5aam_96d86bcc.jpg

Here is one showing the clearance created by bowing you oil cooler. I am happy that the newly tweaked oil cooler does not interfere with any body work. I was really worried about that.

t_IMGP0741i_e5aam_1b67d78f.jpg

And last but not least. My boys first Pinewood Derby Car. He drew the shape he wanted, I cut it out. He draw the lightning on the tape and cut it out. He started the paint, then Dad finished it. I guess it is no fun watching paint dry, go figure. We are hoping it runs as fast as it looks.

t_IMGP0725i_e5aam_b5d8d59a.jpg

Edited by DonnyBallGame

Steering stops look good. I nicked a bit out of my frame on each side when I did mine so there was a bit more material around the hole; probably not necessary.

Out of curiosity, what *was* the measurement from axle to top of the lower tripleclamp?

Can I get the dimensions, or a diagram of the piece of wood you used to put a gentle curve in your oil cooled? I.E. how long was the piece, and what was the radius of the curve. Did you use a 2X4? I'm no good with the whole wood shop thing, nuts and bolts are my bag (insert comments here, I deserve it...). Thanks!!!

Guest DonnyBallGame
Steering stops look good. I nicked a bit out of my frame on each side when I did mine so there was a bit more material around the hole; probably not necessary.

Out of curiosity, what *was* the measurement from axle to top of the lower tripleclamp?

My steering stops are sunk into the Lower Clamp. So there is plenty of meat there also. 20.75 is the dimension I measure before I took the old front end off. So That is where I am going to start with the new one.

As far as "How to Bend" the oil cooler. I relied on Swiifers thread. Look at the link below.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10129

Oooh, such fun! I'll have to post up pics of the one my son and I made a couple of years ago. :thumbsup:

[thread hijack]

Behold, the Hornady :thumbsup: :

00000951sj.jpg

00000966pi.jpg

00000978wn.jpg

00000981xx.jpg

[/thread hijack]

Guest DonnyBallGame

The Hornady is cool. Thanks for sharing. I like the rear mounted bolt/balast. We need to get our car weighed in and up to weight before this weekend.