Remus Leak?

Guest NJ02VFR

Guest NJ02VFR
Finally got my Remus for the '06 VFR, install was pretty simple, but......leaks from where it meets the stock exhaust. Has anyone else run into this? It slid on flush with the flange and the bolt is as tight as I can make it. Seems like a pretty feeble clamping method they use compared to the beefy stock clamp. I'm thinking I may have to add regular exhaust clamp to it, hopefully there is enough stock pipe in the slip-on to clamp onto... sad.gif

Had a similar problem used exhaust gasket /sealer it thick like toothpaste and come in a similar type tube then use the remus clamp and re-torque to spec. it availabe at any auto parts store i think i paid 3 bucks for it :thumbsup:

Guest turborob
Had a similar problem used exhaust gasket /sealer it thick like toothpaste and come in a similar type tube then re-torque to spec. it availabe at any auto parts store i think i paid 3 bucks for it :thumbsup:

Has that stuff held up OK? I've always been skeptical of exhaust sealants, but if it works, it works. Thx.

The aluminum tape stuff will hold up. I have some on the end of my silverwing muffler to seal a hloe and it has held for over a year. As stated build up a few layers for a tight fit.

• 1 month later...

I thought that I would add in on this thread since I helped install a Remus system yesterday on an '04. When I put the exhaust on(with the clamp bolt all the way out) I noticed that it fit very tight already. I did put a bit of exhuast/gasket sealant in it, but honestly I don't think it would have been needed. It fit together very tight and once tightened down it was on securely. Also, no leaks.

Later,

Jeff

I had the same issue when I installed mine. I just put some high temp silicon on the header flange, sliped the up pipe on, clamped it down, and wiped the excess silicon off. It's held fine for 7k miles.

My Two Brothers is leaking at the cat too. On their website they tell you to use Permatex hi-temp. I'll be doing it soon and then can let you know.

BR- always the joker. You know one of these days someone new to the board is going to think you are serious and take you up on one of your offers!!!

My Remus was a pain too. One side fit tight and had to be coaxed, the other fit great. Still get some leakage.

You don't think I would take the Remus, my Microns are going to Ebay soon. Just as soon as I get my Titanium sleeves for my home made shorties. I think it was the Titanuim Remus shorties that was my guide for the ones I built ! :thumbsup:

gallery_301_21_77864.jpg

myown exhaust and undertail

• Member Contributer
My Two Brothers is leaking at the cat too. On their website they tell you to use Permatex hi-temp. I'll be doing it soon and then can let you know.

Jeff and I used the Permatex (ultra copper on the label) sealer at all 3 joints on my Remus install this past weekend...they're on tight (Jeff's a great torque wrench :goofy: ) and so far no leakage.

• 8 months later...

I installed a new Remus CF system Wednesday night on my 2003 VFR and I now have about 300 miles on it since the change.

This weekend I noticed that I am getting an external drip (does not smell like gasoline, maybe condensation?) at the lower joint to the Honda connection pipe when the bike is started cold (ambient 60-70 degrees F). Also, I have noted moisture droplets exiting the Remus mufflers when the VFR is warming up. Has anyone else encountered a similar condition with Remus/stock or other exhaust systems? I have not observed these conditions after a ride. The dripping at the connection is what I am more concerned about because of the new install work.

All electronic Engine management controls are Honda, nothing is disabled.

The Remus clamp is "tight", not sure what a spec is for tightening, and I did not use any sealant per Sport Tour. I do not feel any exhaust escaping or excess heat from the joint area. Yes I am looking at the system much more closely than the stock set up because this is my first exhaust installation and my only VFR.

Otherwise the Remus carbon fiber set up looks and sounds good on my red VFR, people notice and comment.

• 5 months later...

I just picked up a set of used Remus Titanium for my 2003 off ebay for $363 shipped.

They are in great shape. No instructions, but the install seems pretty straight forward based on the manual.

Does anyone know the torque values for the cat and muffler connections?

Archived