First Ride On Traxxion Dynamics Cartridges

Guest tripledigits

Guest tripledigits

I installed my Traxxion Dynamics cartridges today, and was able to get some canyon riding in after I finished the job. My bike has 23K miles, so I replaced all the seals and bushings as well. There was some wear on all the bushings, but nothing excessive. Fluid looked a bit used up, and the ride quality had deteriorated markedly from a lower mileage bike.

I weigh 165 lbs without gear, and the guys at Traxxion recommended 1.0 springs for my commuting and canyon riding. I was concerned that the rates might be a bit high for my weight, but my first impressions are that the spring rate is just fine. Ride quality is much improved, with better small bump compliance. The most notable characteristic of the new cartridges is how smooth they are compared to stock. Cornering is much smoother with better grip and steering feels more precise, like the bike lost alot of weight. Brake dive is almost nonexistent compared to stock, as you would expect. I haven't adjusted rebound yet, having set it midrange for my first ride. I expected a big improvement with the new cartridges, and my expectations have been exceeded.

I should have my new Penske shock soon, and will post a report on the new, soon to be released canister. The compression range of adjustment is increased by a factor of 2.5 over the old canister. The stock shock, IMO, is needing to be replaced as much as the fork needed help. My shock seems to have lousy high speed compression damping, with not enough spring to support the bike for canyon riding.

Jeff

165 lbs with 1.0 springs???? Holy crap that is stiff. I wouldn't think you would need anything stiffer than .85's or something, especially if you ride the bike on the street. You should be over 225 lbs for the 1.0 springs to be correct.

I have Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridges in my FJR1300ABS (and a vintage CBX) along with a Penske 8987 custom valved for the FJR with a 1000-pound rear spring (stock is about 580). Both front and rear - the FJR is the most under-sprung bike I have owned - and at over 600 pounds wet, 125 rear wheel bhp and over 90 lb/ft of torque - this OEM suspension borders on criminal. But the ABS system with aftermarket EBC Sintered HH pads is breathtaking.

I ride solo without bags on the FJR - tried to make it an improvement on my '00 VFR800Fi (they sure screwed it up by adding VTEC and not going a full liter in displacement in '02 - another topic). But I ride the VFR800Fi mostly which is more to my liking - needs another 25 bhp though. The FJR is better suited for 500+ mile rides - I rarely ride so far.

Had Traxxion work through Penske with a highly skilled local tuner to set-up the FJR - a "Beta" bike of sorts. Traxxion also did my VFR800Fi front-end with '86 F3 dampening rods and their full additions and attention - I got my money's worth (McAllister probably spent a few hours of his valuable time walking me through the modifications - outstanding customer service and spectacular turn-around time).

I weigh ~185 lbs without gear and the 1.0 kg/mm VFR front springs were stiff even when riding hard - replaced them with 0.95 kg/mm and the difference is noticeable. Traxxion even recommends that if your front -end is already properly tuned - the AK-20 cartridge inserts may not help - elsewise - I would have them installed already.

The VFR ?hlins 46HRCS rear came with a 150 N/m spring (same as the factory rate) - too soft. Went with their 190 N/m step-up and could maybe use a bit more.

Traxxion (Max McAllister) are tops and I highly recommend them and their products. But Max seems to spring his suspension closer to track riding than quick mountain roads. He said I would never be satisfied with the VFR 190 N/m rear - with the 1.0 kg/mm front he would be right - the balance would be off.

But now the VFR is sorted (a local professional tuner makes all the difference) - there is nothing more I can really do to improve it short of a four-day track school. The lighter wheels and tires with the re-geared 520-chain set (+3 rear teeth) didn't hurt (actually had to increase the dampening since their velocity over bumps increased), and the overall moment of inertia (MOI) is quite evident. Can now pull redline in sixth - but first gear is still usable.

So the VFR and FJR are essentially correct for my riding skill and venues.

Now I have started to sort this new addition out:

standard.jpg

My thoughts are these:

First, learn to ride.

Then get the tires, suspension and brakes on your bike to the very the best you can make them - get help from true experts - you might be a good tuner - but there is no substitute for a pro.

Then explore power increase.

And learn how to ride again.

Cheerio,

John

San Jose, California

Well you just removed my doubts. I am planning on having them do my bike for me. That way I can get everything dialed in right there. They are in Georgia so it is a nice excuse to take a long weekend and hit the Gap again smile.gif

If you have a chance, a good nature and one of their technicians has the time - have them follow you through some well- curved paths (they will know which ones for certain).

By watching your riding style and the VFR's existing performance - you will reap great benefits when they sort your bike.

I need to note that I have no affiliation with Traxxion Dynamics or Max McAllister - but their team is at the top of the game when it comes to motorbike suspension - after nearly four decades of riding and the "do-it-yourself" school - along with the false profits - go with the best. Every penny you spend will be well spent - I know if from experience - hard learned - but the folks at Traxxion deserve my accolades.

AK-20 inserts in an old Honda are in order:

standard.jpg

And nearly half the price of the ?hlins counterparts - how can you go wrong?

Ride straight, ride within your limits - and get your production bike sorted for you rides.

All the best to you and yours,

John

San Jose, California

standard.jpg

Archived