86 Vfr750 Won't Start

Guest KurtAZ

Guest KurtAZ

Okay, I have read through a few of the threads and I am not finding someone that has the same problem...so here goes.

1986 VFR 750F. I just bought a new battery (Yuasa YB12A-B ), the shop put the distilled water in it for me. I left it sit out for a while as it seemed the older batery in the bike recharged and was working fine. Well, that one won't start the bike now so I installed the new battery. Put it in and nothing, no lights, etc. Checked the water levels and it was bone dry, so I filled it up to the fill lines with distilled water. Nothing. Put it on a 12v, 2A charge for about 9 hours, idiot lights come on but it won't turn over, BUT I am able to jump start it. Back on the charger as I go buy a multimeter. 12 hours later, battery is registering 12.5V...lights and one turn of the starter. I am still able to bump start and jump it though and it runs fine. (Just getting sick of pushing it) I took the new battery to Sears and asked them to check it out and verify the charge. They tested it at 9.5v and their tester said it was bad but the guy said it will sometimes do that if the battery is not fully charged. They put it on their charger for about 3 hours, registering 13.5v and is good to go. Get it home, Install the battery, lights come on but nothing else.

I am about to assume that it is the R/R but most threads said that their bikes died on them when that happened. I am none too skilled with a multimeter, but I am about ready to replace that but am wondering if anyone else has some insight into something potentially stupid i am doing on my part that may have fried something?

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Okay, I have read through a few of the threads and I am not finding someone that has the same problem...so here goes.

1986 VFR 750F. I just bought a new battery (Yuasa YB12A-B ), the shop put the distilled water in it for me. I left it sit out for a while as it seemed the older batery in the bike recharged and was working fine. Well, that one won't start the bike now so I installed the new battery. Put it in and nothing, no lights, etc. Checked the water levels and it was bone dry, so I filled it up to the fill lines with distilled water. Nothing. Put it on a 12v, 2A charge for about 9 hours, idiot lights come on but it won't turn over, BUT I am able to jump start it. Back on the charger as I go buy a multimeter. 12 hours later, battery is registering 12.5V...lights and one turn of the starter. I am still able to bump start and jump it though and it runs fine. (Just getting sick of pushing it) I took the new battery to Sears and asked them to check it out and verify the charge. They tested it at 9.5v and their tester said it was bad but the guy said it will sometimes do that if the battery is not fully charged. They put it on their charger for about 3 hours, registering 13.5v and is good to go. Get it home, Install the battery, lights come on but nothing else.

I am about to assume that it is the R/R but most threads said that their bikes died on them when that happened. I am none too skilled with a multimeter, but I am about ready to replace that but am wondering if anyone else has some insight into something potentially stupid i am doing on my part that may have fried something?

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

I am confused. You bought a new battery, had the shop fill it with distilled water, then let the battery sit on a shelf for x number of days. You then installed it into your bike, only to find there was no water in the battery. Your first concern should be "where did the water go?".

R/R will not stop the bike from cranking over with a new battery. It will however cause the water to be boiled out of the battery.

Instead of just throwing parts at it in the hopes that you magically hit the right combination, check the connections to everything first. You need to get the bike to start from the battery BEFORE you start checking the charging system. A bad connection will stop the bike from cranking, and it will make the charging system appear to be bad. Make sure that ground connections are good as well. Most of the hints online here for the 5th gen VFR also apply to the 86 VFR.

Guest Victor_Meldrew

I have an 89 750 that had a similar problem a few years ago idiot lights on, but nothing else ( all my water was in the battery as it should be, however ..) and it turned out to be corroded terminals on the master fuse just to the left of the battery ( not in the fuse box ..) ie bad connection .

Not sure where your water went out of the battery (!!!) -> r/r ???

hope it helps a little

Cheers

V_M

Guest KurtAZ

Well, I didn't check the battery after they SAID they put water in it...not sure if they actually did or not. Weird thing is I can still Jump the bike and it works just fine...I'll try checking the terminals though, thanks for the suggestion.

If the battery was bone dry for any period of time after it had been activated with electrolyte then it is most likely toast. After the battery is newly filled with acid and charged, if it becomes bone dry then filling it with water isn't going to help. Maybe if it got down to the halfway mark then you might have a chance to save it...but dry? I've never seen one saved after that.

Joe

that battery is done. sounds like it'll hold enough charge to allow the bike to run, but it'll never charge enough to start the bike. quite a reasonable situation given that it was filled with water after being empty.

this situation will never improve and eventually you'll get to the point where it won't bump start anymore either. you're going to have to replace the battery - may as well do it sooner rather than later. first thing to do after that is a thorough check of the charging system to make sure everything else is in order.

• Member Contributer

Check for corrosion on all connections. Get some contact cleaner and some Dielectric grease and have at it. The corrosion will increase the resistance at most connections and create enough heat to melt the connections. Remember, this is a 20 year old bike, it likely has some corrosion on a terminal or two.

Once you've done all that you should check the charging system. I bet it will be better. The R/R will have a special proceedure to check if it is fried, but I would bet a bottle of bear that the connetions between your R/R and the Stator is corroded.

Good Luck!

Guest KurtAZ

okay...that is kind of what I thought but the guy at Sears said it charged. I tested it this morning after sitting for 12 hours and it is down to 6V. Ran through all the connections and they are clean...Looks like I will be buying a new battery. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KurtAZ

Well...turns out that they never put acid in the battery, added that and charged it...running like a champ now. smile.gif

• 5 months later...

Archived