Make It Growl For $20

Guest axplayer

Guest Mr. Horsepower

i was trying to listen to the sound clip of the drilled out exhaust compared to the full gut. i just did the drill mod yesterday and am considering the full gut. i do not want it to be really loud. please if anyone has a sound clip of both these mods side by side...please post them.

• Member Contributer
i was trying to listen to the sound clip of the drilled out exhaust compared to the full gut. i just did the drill mod yesterday and am considering the full gut. i do not want it to be really loud. please if anyone has a sound clip of both these mods side by side...please post them.

Sorry, no side by side. Check my putfile. It MAY help.

http://media.putfile.com/loud-38 (At the beginning).

http://media.putfile.com/vfrdrilled-6holes

Keep in mind, mine is not the average gut.

Guest Mr. Horsepower

ok so the first one, was that the stock exhaust sound.

the second one it says drilled 6 holes...not clear as to what you did ...can you link me to the post where you explain or show how you gutted it because it sounds good.

• Member Contributer
ok so the first one, was that the stock exhaust sound.

the second one it says drilled 6 holes...not clear as to what you did ...can you link me to the post where you explain or show how you gutted it because it sounds good.

The first one is this,...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=29818&hl=

The second is 6 hole drilled.

Here's a regular gut,..

http://media.putfile.com/kens-gutted

Guest Mr. Horsepower

ah now i see...that was the post that inspired me to want to gut my exhaust in the first place...and the one that makes me want to black the whole thing out...i am waiting on a friend to get his painting equipment and i will then transform my red white and blu to a completely blacked out bike. i am gonna black out everything that i can hit with a spray gun. i am going with the roadwarrior style of matte black.

• 3 months later...

Helloo there , look what i made from my exhaust....... :laugh:

Original VFR Vtec Exhaust modificated into Sport Exhaust

From 1 exhaust i remove everyfing exept 1 main big sieve, from second exhaust i don't remove anything but i cut the 2 pipes that go outside the exhaust ,so the gas don't return inside the exhaust chamber and then return outside.

The video

I want to put here some pictures but i can't :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Helloo there , look what i made from my exhaust....... :goofy:

Original VFR Vtec Exhaust modificated into Sport Exhaust

From 1 exhaust i remove everyfing exept 1 main big sieve, from second exhaust i don't remove anything but i cut the 2 pipes that go outside the exhaust ,so the gas don't return inside the exhaust chamber and then return outside.

The video

I want to put here some pictures but i can't :beer:

Nice. Not to rain on your parade, but you did a gut, the hard way.

• 1 month later...
Guest JMUVFRrider
Anyone got a video of this yet? The original video is no longer

Being somewhat of a VFR/motorcycle novice (I've only been riding for about a year), can someone send to me or post on here more details/pictures of exactly where these drill holes are meant to be made (straight and bend??)? It would really help me out and for those who may not, like myself, be great with working on machines, etc.

Thanks so much...here is my email if you decide to send it to me directly (virginiaex@gmail.com).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JMUVFRrider
This is for you 6th gen. VFR owners. I'm one of those folks who likes the look of the stock pipes, so I drilled them out. There have been lots of interesting suggestions about how to do it here, but only loose reference to the exact tools. If you have a drill (and I recommend an electric one), get these two items. Both were bought for just under $20 at Home Depot. Two of the pipes are straight shots, so insert the bit as far as it goes and drill away. The other two pipes have a bend, so you will have to drill at an angle. The beauty of the bit is that, for the angled drill holes, it chews away at the pipe without having to worry about starting a pilot hole, scratching the visible outlet portion of the pipe, etc. The bit is by eazypower and is called an Isomax countersink, 5/8". The extension is an Irwin Speedbor, 12" long. Both are virtually indestructible. Happy drilling!

gallery_8058_1805_798769.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

100_3000.JPG

Hello all,

Very novice to the motorcycle world as I've only been riding my VFR for nearly a year now. This mod sounds great but I'm a little confused about where one should drill these holes out (straight and bend??). Can someone please explain in the simplest terms or pics possible. It would be quite helpful. Thanks all.

• 4 months later...
This is for you 6th gen. VFR owners. I'm one of those folks who likes the look of the stock pipes, so I drilled them out. There have been lots of interesting suggestions about how to do it here, but only loose reference to the exact tools. If you have a drill (and I recommend an electric one), get these two items. Both were bought for just under $20 at Home Depot. Two of the pipes are straight shots, so insert the bit as far as it goes and drill away. The other two pipes have a bend, so you will have to drill at an angle. The beauty of the bit is that, for the angled drill holes, it chews away at the pipe without having to worry about starting a pilot hole, scratching the visible outlet portion of the pipe, etc. The bit is by eazypower and is called an Isomax countersink, 5/8". The extension is an Irwin Speedbor, 12" long. Both are virtually indestructible. Happy drilling!

gallery_8058_1805_798769.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

100_3000.JPG

I'm a little late to this thread but hey, just joined. Here's my $70 exhaust, including custom bent and soldered elbow;

It's a knockoff of a Magnaflow "bullet", made for ricer posers, light and straight, less than 1in. packing between the chromed wall and the inner screen. Gotta love cheap and good stuff from cars that fit bikes!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prymsopssm8

I really like the sound, below 3k rpm it has this subsonic baritone, then after it just growls and growls.

Edited by VFRSuperfreak

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest PlayWithGravity

Full gut. Gutting the hard way. Drilling 4 or 6 straight or bent holes. Ugh... I still don't get it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest whitecl0ver

So I read through this whole thread and dont see many cons to running a gutted exhaust.

Are there any cons to running a gutted exhaust? Like does it F with back pressure? Which could cause a power drop, also I noticed a comment about the cat clogging up and some one bike catching on fire....

How many miles do you all have on your 6th gen gutted exhaust and have you experienced any issues?

Just not looking to hose my junk up by swapping stock exhaust to a full gut.

Edited by whitecl0ver

• Member Contributer

how do the sounds of semi-gut, full-gut, and staintunes compare?

Guest whitecl0ver

Check you tube....The sound from stock to full gut is un friggin believable.

I was able to snag a fully gutted stock exhaust from a member here (pick it up Thursday). I love the sound (I just came off a V-Star 1100 with a full Cobra exhaust) so i doubt the full gut will be any where near as loud as I'm used to. I just want to know of any possible negatives to running a a gutted exhaust over time, as I plan on putting about 15,000 miles a year on this bike.

• Member Contributer

Check you tube....The sound from stock to full gut is un friggin believable.

I was able to snag a fully gutted stock exhaust from a member here (pick it up Thursday). I love the sound (I just came off a V-Star 1100 with a full Cobra exhaust) so i doubt the full gut will be any where near as loud as I'm used to. I just want to know of any possible negatives to running a a gutted exhaust over time, as I plan on putting about 15,000 miles a year on this bike.

I have staintunes installed now.....really wondering how different the gutted stock exhaust sounds compared to them.

• 1 month later...
Guest PlayWithGravity

I did this mod today by drilling holes in the exhaust. Buy a 1/2" bit, 12" long. Stick it as far down each exhaust outlet as you can. Drill till it goes through. Bit cost $15. The $10 one I tried was a piece of shit and the tip broke, so don't cheap out on the bit.

The improvement in sound is nice. Subtle but worth $15 and 15 minutes for sure.

• 1 month later...
Guest zeocen

Would anyone happen to have a soundclip of a drilled exhaust? None of the ones I tried in this thread work anymore and I'm quite keen to hear what it sounds like!

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Can any one plz post some pics of the drill location?

None of the images and vids work on the thread any more :( do we just stick the drill right up through the hole in the exhaust and drill away?

Roughly what all location do we drill like 12 o clock 3 , 5 7 9 like that? What's the bend pipe and straight one ?

Complete mechanical noob here, just saw this thread after researching the other gutting One for hours :)

• 4 months later...

Gonna go ahead and drill the holes this weekend, any advice much appreciated. If I mess up might go ahead and get delk exhaust

Hope I am doing it right :(

Only reason going for this is to get good sound for the videos, and to keep the stock exhaust look