Make It Growl For $20

Guest axplayer

• Member Contributer
here a tip... get a auto matic center punch to make a dimple where you want to drill.. putt lots of greese in THE GROVE OF THE BIT!!! it will trap and hold alot of the shavings..

I would recommend using a quality cutting fluid, like Castrol Moly-Dee for example. It doesn't smell too pleasant(lots of sulfur), but it works well. It makes the drill's job easier, and extends the life of the bit. Excellent for use on steel! :thumbsup:

the problem with cutting oil.. it will not trap the shavings.. and if you are drilling from the side or bottom it runs down ,away from the hole..if the bit gets dull take it to your pal with a drill dr. :P

• 2 months later...
Guest Topeka 800

Hey I was this wonderful writeup and decided to Make it Growl for 20 dollars. Anyways the straight shots were a piece of cake, its just the angled pipes I just cannot get the surface I am looking for to drill. What exactly am I suppossed to do - no matter what angle or position I have the drill I get caught up on the bend

• 1 month later...
Guest i_hover

I bought the Craftsman 1/2" x 18" drill bit from Sears and just went straight in through all 4 holes. The bent tubes took a little longer because I had to let the one side of the tip work on the tube wall. Once it started going through the wall, it would get stuck if I tried to just push through, so I still had to let it work slowly straight in.

I didn't hit any other walls with the bit all the way in, but what a great sound!

When I first cranked it up, I positioned a magnetic sheet behind the exhaust and it caught all kinds of shavings! With each rev, more shavings flew out, so I kept everyone away from the rear until it was clear.

I still sometimes think that someone is right behind me (then I realize it's just me, LOL). :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr.Jack

What the **^$( I did this,,, the first straight one went fine, The second was the angled and I BROKE THE DRILL BIT OFF IN THE PIPE... I can't get it out, I hope it doesn't missle-launch out of there and hurt someone one day. I stopped after that and still no noticeable difference/improvement to sound - D A R N !!!!

Edited by Dr.Jack

• Member Contributer

I dunno if you've solved this problem with them thar new-fangled VTEC Viffers, but ISTR that when I--er, some fool I know--drilled his '90 FL's OEM muffler it sounded right crap. Suspiciously like a drilled OEM exhaust can, actually. Can't hide that distinctive "I'm too cheap to buy a real end can" sound, I'm afraid....

(Yep, faced with that all-too-obvious situation, I--er, some fool I know--soon purchased a gen-u-ine TBR slip-on and was soon in V4 heaven!)

Ciao,

• 3 months later...

Best $20 I ever spent! I didn't want to swap my stock exhaust either, but wanted more growl....I got it with a $17 craftsman drill bit. Smoked my cheap hitachi drill though! Oh well. I even did it with the caps on, didn't take anything off. I'm pleased with that mod and the map from cozye that i modded for the 06. I sent it to him so he could check it out, if anyone wants to try it out just drop me a line with your email address. Don't want to post it without it actually being dyno'd....it's a smooth vtec transition though! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

So if i'm reading this correctly, you just stuck a drill bit through the tail-pipe and drilled away anything in your path? (except the outside of the muffler lol). One on each side will just be drilling straight back, and the other one you'll just be forced to go at an angle and then just dirll away from there?

• Member Contributer
Best $20 I ever spent! I didn't want to swap my stock exhaust either, but wanted more growl....I got it with a $17 craftsman drill bit. Smoked my cheap hitachi drill though! Oh well. I even did it with the caps on, didn't take anything off. I'm pleased with that mod and the map from cozye that i modded for the 06. I sent it to him so he could check it out, if anyone wants to try it out just drop me a line with your email address. Don't want to post it without it actually being dyno'd....it's a smooth vtec transition though! :thumbsup:

How about a picture (or two) of these drill spots? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Cerebus

I drilled mine yesterday. It did cost less than $20 and took about 20 minutes and 1 beer. I listened to the exhaust before I started and as I drilled each pipe. After hearing the change from drilling the first one, I knew I had to punch a hole in the other 3. It sounds great and was easy--just don't lose your countersink in the pipe! The drilling process knocked out both allen head screws that hold the countersink in the extension. I got lucky that this happened in the top left (angled) pipe. I was able to use one of those flexible grabber things and pull it out, and used a magnet to remove the broken allen head screw.

Since it was cold & raining I didn't get to take it out and see if there was any difference in performance. I recommend making this mod if you don't have a lot of $ or time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
Anyone got a video of this yet? The original video is no longer

http://media.putfile.com/vfrdrilled4holes

http://media.putfile.com/vfrdrilled-6holes

Audio

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Most dealer wrenches, are dolts. (No dis. to the wrenchers, here). It prolly would. I don't know. But I can tell you most of them won't know, if you don't tell.

• Member Contributer
Does drilling out (or gutting) the exhaust void the warranty on a new bike? It is too quiet!

No.

I don't know, (again). But are you sure? Not try'n to be an a$$. Figure an aftermarket would be no problem, but altering stock? Wouldn't one get flack from a dealer if stuff went wrong? Didn't one member run into flack, after gutt'n, then his cat loaded-up, and the bike burst into flames? Serious questions. Not being sarcastic. Didn't he get flack, from the dealer?

I drilled the pipes out on my bike, and I dont really think that it made an incredible difference, I did not do a full gut though.

I have heard a stock, drilled and gutted sise by side. The drilled pipes are only a little louder than stock. Not a big improvement IMO.

Drilling will not effect warranty. Just dont tell them. Besides you wont have any engine problems that have anything to do with the exhaust. You wont have any engine problems at all. I did wait until my warranty expired to gut mine.

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought the Micron Ti slip-ons and now my friend is telling me that I need to have a Honda dealer install them, or (you guessed it) it'll void the warranty. Any truth to this, or should I put them on myself?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A member from VFRworld helped me do this mod to my bike. Instead of drilling, we cut off the end of the pipe with a angle grinder, then pulled out the baffles with a bit of tugging. Then we welded it back up and wallah!

It sounds like a badass ducati. Its loud enough to be heard, but not loud enough to scream pull me over.

So I bought the Micron Ti slip-ons and now my friend is telling me that I need to have a Honda dealer install them, or (you guessed it) it'll void the warranty. Any truth to this, or should I put them on myself?

No, it's BS.

Slap'em on! :fing02: