Oil change and wash = bad R/R?!?!?

Guest Drizzt

Guest Drizzt

So in preparation for my upcoming trip through the Ozarks this coming weekend I changed the oil and filter in my viffer and gave her a good washing. This morning when I started the bike to go to work my volt meter showed 26 volts!!! I turned the ignition off, then back on without starting the bike and it still showed 24 volts. (I didn't think you could get 24 volts out of a 12 volt battery). However, as this is my only means of transportation I had to ride it the 15 miles to work. During the trip the volts quickly came back down to my normal 13.2 volts. Upon arrival at work and shutting the bike off I could smell something. At first I thought maybe it was still some residual oil burning off the front pipes as they always get an oil bath when changing the filter (incidentally, if anybody has a trick to avoid that let me know) but the smell was coming from the rear of the bike. I took off the cowl and the seat and opened up the battery box but it wasn't hot or smoking or anything. However, the R/R was VERY hot. I noticed that the fan I mounted to the R/R is no longer running, but I don't remember the R/R ever getting that hot before. Up until Saturday when I did a little maintenance everything had been fine since I replaced the entire charging system in 2004.

I am guessing that my R/R is fried, anybody concur with that? But what I am really curious about is if it is just a coincidence that it happened after a good washing...

Guest greene222

I don't know about the R/R but seems likely that's the problem with all the other R/R posts...

RE: the oil on pipes...Someone else here posted a while ago that if you wrap the headers with tin foil before you change that filter it will keep the oil off 'em.

I did that last time and it worked GREAT.

Good luck

Dave

You might check the voltage with a handheld multimeter. If you ran for much time at 24 volts all of your bulbs/clock would have blown out (which apparently didn't happen) and your battery should be toasted. Also, the voltage self-healed to 13.2. It's possible the regulator is on its way out and the 24-26 volts was a warning shot, or it's possible your voltmeter had a temporary problem (or is defective, itself, or in its connection).

• Member Contributer

Drizzt: If you hear a shrill, high-pitched whine, or smell some kind of rotten-egg smell, then it is your battery boiling off due to the R/R frying. However, this time, you indicated that the battery wasn't even hot. Good news for that.

I suspect that the timing of the surge after the wash is coincidental and not related, but... As recommended, I would validate the voltmeter and if that turns out to be ok, then ensure that you have the funds for an R/R. You may as well check out the stator wires while you are at it.

Archived