5th gen blue gauges

Veefer800Canuck

• Member Contributer

6, I orders 7 for a spare and used it as one of the 6 didn't work. But after Veefers post on polarity, I'm thinking that I didn't turn the bulb around and that could have been the problem.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer
6, I orders 7 for a spare and used it as one of the 6 didn't work. But after Veefers post on polarity, I'm thinking that I didn't turn the bulb around and that could have been the problem.

Thanks Chris, i will order 6 of each color (Red / Blue) and check them out...

thanks

Michael

• Member Contributer

Maybe I am wrong, but I am almost confident that there were 2 bulbs for each display (tach, speedo and LCD). Fuzzily recalling that maybe the tach and the speedo shared a bulb in the middle?? Veefer??

Page 19-11 in the service manual shows 5 (as well as the two for turn signal indicators.)

Payne

5 for the gauge faces in your fav colour, and 6 for the turn & idiot lights in white if you care to change them too (optional).

Guest Viper

I put blue LED's in my 5th generation and ended up taking them out. I left them in the LCD display, but found they were no good behind the speedo and tacho.

During the day it was OK because you don't really need the back light to see the gauges and at night they looked really great, (as you have shown in the photos).

but

In dim light, such as dusk or going through tunnels etc where you need the gauges to be back lit, but when it isn't really really dark, they were useless.

The reason I found was because the numbers and slots in the dial face plate are actually green. This is why the numbers appear green when the normal clear dash bulbs are used.

Perhaps the LED's are stronger or brighter now than they were several years ago when I tried this. As good as it looked in the pitch black of night, I found it to be impractical for everyday use.

I disliked it so much that I pulled the dash apart specifically to change it back to the was it was, except for the LCD dispaly.

David

• Member Contributer
Thanks Chris, i will order 6 of each color (Red / Blue) and check them out...

thanks

Michael

MIchael,

Make sure you post back and let us know how the red's worked out. I have 8 Blues heading my way as I ordered them as soon as I saw this thread. I wanted to have a couple extra just in case. BUt, you opened up a good idea with buying both red and blue... Pics if you could!! Thanks M~~~

Michael H.. :beer:

• Member Contributer

HEY!! Maybe mine will come in today!! Sweeeet... gives me something to look forward to!! Hehe... :beer:

• Member Contributer

Got mine yesterday and installed today. Darn easy job and the blue sure looks sweet on the fast yellow bike!!!

• Member Contributer
Maybe I am wrong, but I am almost confident that there were 2 bulbs for each display (tach, speedo and LCD). Fuzzily recalling that maybe the tach and the speedo shared a bulb in the middle?? Veefer??

Ok my LEDS came today, how difficult was it to remove the dash and instal these LEDS? id like to get them in tonight before tomorrows ride, but i also dont want to start something that will make me miss my ride tomorrow?

i also ordered both the red and blue i may try mixing it up a bit. will have pictures soon.

thanks

Michael

Guest Drizzt
i also ordered both the red and blue i may try mixing it up a bit. will have pictures soon.

Be curious to see if red works for you. I tried them and couldn't hardly see the dials anymore. Probably something to do with the numbers and such being green like somebody posted earlier, I didn't know that...

• 9 months later...
so which ones would be better to get, the ones with 4 LED's or the larger single LED with the wedge difuser

Looks like the 4 led ones might be brighter, but that could be a bad thing during a long trip at night perhaps.

FWIW, I'm happy with the single LED's with the angled diffuser and would not wish for them to be brighter.

Guest Lopeman
so which ones would be better to get, the ones with 4 LED's or the larger single LED with the wedge difuser

Looks like the 4 led ones might be brighter, but that could be a bad thing during a long trip at night perhaps.

FWIW, I'm happy with the single LED's with the angled diffuser and would not wish for them to be brighter.

would you say they are brighter than stock?

i am starving to see those photos of the red guages weaselphd, hows the instaliation going?

I just did this mod the other day. I didn't get pictures, but I can answer your question. The red LED's behind the tach are more or less worthless. The transparent green colors of the digits makes them all but illegible. Granted, you can see the needle and the red-line area very well, but none of the numbers. At least, this was with the single-LED bulbs. The multi-LED ones may be brighter and might work better, but that's just a guess.

Additionally, the red is worthless behind the LCD, and I didn't even attempt putting them behind the speedo. I was sort of disappointed by this, too. So I just put the blue LED's everywhere...except the right portion of the tach. For that one, I used a white LED to better illuminate the needle and the red area. see the pic below. It's sort of lame how it fades from blue to green, but I'm not too picky

Also, the "idiot lights" are not the same size as the other bulbs, and I consequently couldn't put the LED's I bought from superbrightleds.com in those sockets sad.gif. Does anyone know which ones fit?

gallery_8456_2161_249973.jpg

Nils

would you say they are brighter than stock?

No, they are not brighter than stock. Which I like, as an instrument cluster that is too bright is a real distraction at night.

Why don't bikes have dimmers for the instrument lights like a cage does? :joystick:

• 1 year later...

I just went to order some of these for my 5th Gen and almost fell off my chair $30USD for shipping to Oz sad.gif

I shall continue my search for a supplier closer to home...

[edit] found some on fleabay, 8 for $17 delivered smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Ever since having Lasik surgery on both eyes blue light at night is annoying. It's like my eyes don't want to focus and I have to force them to. Weird but true. So this mod is likely out for me. Pretty cool though...

Guest loufu

hi veefer,

from ur pix it shows tat ur gauges all shown in KMH, u got it changed or its a stock gauge?? i would like to have mine in KMH n not MPH....

PS: oso anywea i can get a service manual for my 5th gen?? i would like to try out the LED mods too...

hi veefer,

from ur pix it shows tat ur gauges all shown in KMH, u got it changed or its a stock gauge?? i would like to have mine in KMH n not MPH....

PS: oso anywea i can get a service manual for my 5th gen?? i would like to try out the LED mods too...

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The gauges are stock, we in Canada have embraced the Metric system.

You might find a set of used Metric gauges on EBAY, good luck!

Also, the service manual can be found in the Downloads section: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...um=10&st=10