5th gen blue gauges

Veefer800Canuck

Guest loufu
hi veefer,

from ur pix it shows tat ur gauges all shown in KMH, u got it changed or its a stock gauge?? i would like to have mine in KMH n not MPH....

PS: oso anywea i can get a service manual for my 5th gen?? i would like to try out the LED mods too...

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The gauges are stock, we in Canada have embraced the Metric system.

You might find a set of used Metric gauges on EBAY, good luck!

Also, the service manual can be found in the Downloads section: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...um=10&st=10

thx alot... mayb i'll juz hav to get use to the miles system odometer n tripmeter... coz at least the consolation i hav is my speedo is in KMH... tis is important to prevent me from gettin the speeding tix... :fing02:

oh ya, and also the prev owner din teach me how to reset the tripmeter... any gd souls out there to enlighten me?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh ya, and also the prev owner din teach me how to reset the tripmeter... any gd souls out there to enlighten me?

Press and hold the TRIP button on the RH side of the dash to reset.

Pressing the TRIP button for only a moment switches between A and B tripmeters, but a long press resets whichever is currently on display, but not the other one.

Guest loufu
Press and hold the TRIP button on the RH side of the dash to reset.

Pressing the TRIP button for only a moment switches between A and B tripmeters, but a long press resets whichever is currently on display, but not the other one.

thk you so much.. i guessed so too, but it juz didnt reset when i did a long press.. mayb my button is not working...

• 1 month later...

i've just fitted them on mine the inverted type

excuse the quality i took this on my phone and its useless in the dark

gallery_14529_3902_4400.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

where have you guys got the rev counter dial faces from with the vfr emblem on

Edited by scottyrocket

• Member Contributer
The inverted-tip causes the LEDs to emit a broad beam which avoids "spotlighting" the gauge face near where each bulb is located.

I don't think you would have any bright spots anyway. Interesting that if you look at the spec, you'll see the bulbs you chose have the narrowest beam pattern of all possible configurations. Only 32 degrees. I was more interested in the colour. I've just ordered some LEDs for my RWB 6th gen, and I ordered 2 different sets to compare colour and brightness. I'm planning on cluging up a dimmer when I do the surgery.

Of course, I'll do a write up with pics for anyone who's interested.

• 1 year later...
  • Forum CEO

I ordered white LED replacements for my dash today, I dont care about changing the color I just wanted to save a few watts and help extend the life of my stator, ordered the mini ones too for the nuetral, highbeem, fi lights too, I ordered an extra of each type in case I get bad ones

6 | WLED-x4 LED bulb | $ 2.59 |

90 Degree White WLED-W4-x 1.00 - DASH BACKLIGHTING

----------------------------------------------------------------

3 | WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb | $ 4.95 |

Pure White WLED-WHP - TURN SIGNALS

5 | 24-xHP Wedge Base LED bulb | $ 2.49 |

White 24-WHP - FI, NUETRAL, OIL PRESSURE, HI BEAM indicators

• Member Contributer

I ordered white LED replacements for my dash today, I dont care about changing the color I just wanted to save a few watts and help extend the life of my stator, ordered the mini ones too for the nuetral, highbeem, fi lights too, I ordered an extra of each type in case I get bad ones

6 | WLED-x4 LED bulb | $ 2.59 |

90 Degree White WLED-W4-x 1.00 - DASH BACKLIGHTING

3 | WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb | $ 4.95 |

Pure White WLED-WHP - TURN SIGNALS

5 | 24-xHP Wedge Base LED bulb | $ 2.49 |

White 24-WHP - FI, NUETRAL, OIL PRESSURE, HI BEAM indicators

Recommend not to change the FI bulb - since the resistance is so low on the LED's the PCM will assume its blown

rest should be fine. I had done the same. they look great - have put the 6 LED bulbs on the dash - they are nice and bright.

Will post pictures later

• Forum CEO

If a bulb is blown its resistance is infinite high? How can low impedence give you a blown indication? Do you mean the opposite? They probably have a 470 ohm reisister in there. I have been changing these darned things out seems like twice a year now, LEDs and 100,000 hours sounds much better to me. IF THE FI LIGHT IS BLOWN how does the ECM deal with that, is this just speculation? Dont tell me the fi light comes on HEH :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

If a bulb is blown its resistance is infinite high? How can low impedence give you a blown indication? Do you mean the opposite? They probably have a 470 ohm reisister in there. I have been changing these darned things out seems like twice a year now, LEDs and 100,000 hours sounds much better to me. IF THE FI LIGHT IS BLOWN how does the ECM deal with that, is this just speculation? Dont tell me the fi light comes on HEH :cheerleader:

You are right - its the other way around...brain :biggrin: not thinking straight in the heat of excitement :goofy:

Just a speculation - let me know if it works for you

• Forum CEO

If a bulb is blown its resistance is infinite high? How can low impedence give you a blown indication? Do you mean the opposite? They probably have a 470 ohm reisister in there. I have been changing these darned things out seems like twice a year now, LEDs and 100,000 hours sounds much better to me. IF THE FI LIGHT IS BLOWN how does the ECM deal with that, is this just speculation? Dont tell me the fi light comes on HEH +1.gif

You are right - its the other way around...brain :beatdeadhorse: not thinking straight in the heat of excitement :cheerleader:

Just a speculation - let me know if it works for you

I could see the fi light error pulses comming in at a different pace, or issues with that perhaps? I will try it, they do match the impedence with the led bulbs to the OEM bulbs with a built in resister, its right there in the photo.

post-491-126882678901.jpg

where have you guys got the rev counter dial faces from with the vfr emblem on

Late to the party on this one, but the 2000-2001 VFRs had the VFR emblem on the tach as standard.

I've been looking for one for quite awhile, but every one that comes up on EBAY is worth an arm and a leg.

• Member Contributer

Late to the party on this one, but the 2000-2001 VFRs had the VFR emblem on the tach as standard.

I've been looking for one for quite awhile, but every one that comes up on EBAY is worth an arm and a leg.

I did the same thing when I built my bike, Rob. I loved the look of the later gauges (and had to have that little VFR logo) and went through multiple clusters on ebay before I had the proper combination (it seemed like I could only find metric units for some reason). I wonder how many other '98-'99 owners have updated to the newer gauges?

gallery_11118_2864_44329.jpg

• Member Contributer

Guys, just send member Throttlepimp a PM. He does excellent work & can make you any gauge faces you want! :laughing6-hehe:

+1!! Custom 6th gen tach face thread coming soon!

Guys, just send member Throttlepimp a PM. He does excellent work & can make you any gauge faces you want! :fing02:

+1!! Custom 6th gen tach face thread coming soon!

:dry: He's a stand up guy! :laughing6-hehe:

Guest silkysmooth
6, I orders 7 for a spare and used it as one of the 6 didn't work. But after Veefers post on polarity, I'm thinking that I didn't turn the bulb around and that could have been the problem.

Thanks Chris, i will order 6 of each color (Red / Blue) and check them out...

thanks

Michael

I went with Red just to be something other then blue

• 3 years later...

Has anyone ever done this LED dash light mod with UV light (black light)?

.....guess not.

I've ordered 5 UV lights to give that a try & see how it turns out. In theory, it should really POP!

Edited by TNRabbit

Replaced the signal indicator & LCD backlight bulbs with LEDs on my bike this week; blue for the LCD & amber for the turn signal indicators:

Looks great! 3 of the 5 instrument bulbs were burned out so I can now see how fast I'm going at night~

20130712_213106_zps888bdf3d.jpg

I'm thinking about trying UV (black) light LEDs to see if it gives the instruments any additional "pop"..

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

White.

Blue behind the LCD.

You could try red, since the needles are red. The red plastic filters out all the colors except red if you are using incandescent bulbs. By using blue LEDs there is no red to come through. That's my understanding of it anyway. That's why you should use red LEDs for red lenses, amber for amber, etc.

I just ordered 6 of the lights in Amber. Should go nice with the yellow bike. I hope. Ha ha.

I'll send pics in of the progress when they arrive. I won't be doing them for a few weeks yet, but when they go in I'll get snapping.

• Member Contributer

White.

Blue behind the LCD.

You could try red, since the needles are red. The red plastic filters out all the colors except red if you are using incandescent bulbs. By using blue LEDs there is no red to come through. That's my understanding of it anyway. That's why you should use red LEDs for red lenses, amber for amber, etc.

+1

LEDs have very narrow wavelengths of emitted light. Even the white LEDs don't have a lot of red in them so you should use the red LEDs through red lens otherwise they will be dimmer. White LEDs are a mixture of a few wavelengths that the eyes perceive as white but they don't cover the full spectrum. There's more available red light to reflect off a red needle using a red LED so it should stand out more... at least the physics makes sense...

Amber LED on a red needle might make the needle look black because there is little or no red wavelength to be reflected... kinda like how tropical fish lose there color the deeper you go and the other wavelengths of light are filtered out by the water... shine a light on them with the right wavelengths and the colors pop

Quote from TheLEDLight.com, "...using colored LEDs to illuminate similarly colored lenses produces better visibility and overall appearance."