5th gen blue gauges

Veefer800Canuck

Welp, as I was relocating my dual Fiamm horns last week, I finally did the blue gauge mod.

I had ordered 5 inverted-tip, wide angle LEDS from http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

w_b_S.jpg

The inverted-tip causes the LEDs to emit a broad beam which avoids "spotlighting" the gauge face near where each bulb is located.

Installation is exactly the same as replacing the stock incandescent bulbs, see your service manual if unsure.

Only 1 caveat and that is the bulbs are polarized, so they only work when installed in one direction (+/-). I put mine in with the ignition on, and the garage semi-dark so I could tell if each individual bulb lit up. There were a couple I had to turn the base 180' to get them to light, easy as cake.

:thumbsup: The end result:

Picture005.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I might mention that I had previously tried some #194 incandescent bulbs from the local auto store that were painted blue (from the factory) and they were very dim.

Even in the darkest night, the gauge faces were too dim to be immediately readable, but the LED's are a whole 'nother story! :P

• Member Contributer
Oh, and I might mention that I had previously tried some #194 incandescent bulbs from the local auto store that were painted blue (from the factory) and they were very dim.

Even in the darkest night, the gauge faces were too dim to be immediately readable, but the LED's are a whole 'nother story!  :P

That looks great !

I think I know what my next mods will be: LED's and the horns.

• Member Contributer

Looks awesome... do they make those in red? Wonder if I could do that to my 6th gen.

Looks awesome... do they make those in red? Wonder if I could do that to my 6th gen.

They DO make the lights that I used in Red, but Unf, the 6th gen already has LED lights and they are soldered to the electonic panel of the gauges.

It's a bout of electro-surgery to replace them, but you can have it done here and in colours other then blue:

http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/vfr800.htm

If any 5th gen owners wanted red gauge lights (or other), they could certainly go ahead using the same type LEDs I did from the supplier above.

What's that funny C and km, eh? :P

Looks very nice. Might do that myself. Thanks for the photos!

How much did each cost? On the following product page, the top three all appear similar, with prices of 0.89, 0.79, and 1.49; just wondering exactly which ones you got.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...8.26576&next=50

Thanks

Payne

Edited by pseal

• Member Contributer
How much did each cost?  On the following product page, the top three all appear similar, with prices of 0.89, 0.79, and 1.49; just wondering exactly which ones you got.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...8.26576&next=50

I got the ones that are $1.59 with 4 led's.

I did that to mine a couple of years ago, but I can't see my needle worth a crap. Let me know if you figure out a solution.

I have no problem with seeing mine, it is kinda purpleish in color, but can see it fine.

Thanks for the picture.  Any problem seeing the needles with these leds?  In the picture is looks like they aren't lit up.

I did that to mine a couple of years ago, but I can't see my needle worth a crap. Let me know if you figure out a solution.
I have no problem with seeing mine, it is kinda purpleish in color, but can see it fine.

+1.gif+1.gif+1.gif to Chris' reply.

They're kinda purple but they are more noticeable than in the picture. The camera is a bit stingy with the actual look of the needles. They're not bright orange as stock, but still quite legible at night, purple they are, yes.

How much did each cost?  On the following product page, the top three all appear similar, with prices of 0.89, 0.79, and 1.49; just wondering exactly which ones you got.

D'oh. Dumb me; the first two are red and amber only.

Payne

• Member Contributer

Sorry, but I'm an idiot. I can't figure out which ones you bought. Would you please be so kind as to post the part number(s)?

Thanks.

• Member Contributer
Sorry, but I'm an idiot.  I can't figure out which ones you bought.  Would you please be so kind as to post the part number(s)?

Thanks.

4th Bulb down in the link. WLED 4-LED bulb

4th Bulb down in the link. WLED 4-LED bulb

Oh, you got the ones with the 4 LEDs?

Like this:

wled-4.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I got these puppies and they're quite bright even though they only have 1 LED in them.

I really like the wide angle tip, it illuminates the gauge face evenly:

wled-b.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I was concerned that the 4-LED ones would be TOO bright at night and thus be distracting. The ones I wound up with are perfect, IMO.

• Member Contributer

Yes I have the 4 led ones, they aren't too bright, but emit an even light. Our pictures look almost identical, mine is a bit brighter, but that is likely the camera and I was in a pitch black garage.

Yes I have the 4 led ones, they aren't too bright, but emit an even light. Our pictures look almost identical, mine is a bit brighter, but that is likely the camera and I was in a pitch black garage.

Oh yeah, well mine's faster 'cuz my speedometer says 280! :P

Yours only goes 170 +1.gif

......and my Dad can beat up your Dad! :deer:

• Member Contributer

Would these bulbs be called "combination meter bulbs" in the manual on page 19-9?

I take it that removal of the front cowl etc. is required to do this?

On page 19-9 it shows a removed bulb in the lower pic. Are those the ones you are talking about replacing?

• Member Contributer

Thanks Veefer and Chris. I wonder if the difference in the LEDs created the difference in ability to see your respective tach / speedo needles?

Would these bulbs be called "combination meter bulbs" in the manual on page 19-9?

I take it that removal of the front cowl etc. is required to do this?

On page 19-9 it shows a removed bulb in the lower pic. Are those the ones you are talking about replacing?

No, on page 19-9 those would be the turnsignal indicator bulbs as shown.

Look on page 19-11 and in the top pic, it shows the backside of the meter panel. The top two bulbs are the turnsignal indicators, the bottom 4 (real close together) are the idiot warning lights. It's the "other" 5 that light up the gauges.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from changing the 6 (total) indicator and idiot lights to LEDs, but since they shine through coloured lenses, you would probably want to use white LEDs for them and blue/red whatever colour you prefer for the gauge faces.

There are 3-10mm nuts that hold the instrument cluster to the upper fairing stay. I removed these and pulled the cluster loose to facilitate changing the bulbs more easily.

No, on page 19-9 those would be the turnsignal indicator bulbs as shown.

Look on page 19-11 and in the top pic, it shows the backside of the meter panel. The top two bulbs are the turnsignal indicators, the bottom 4 (real close together) are the idiot warning lights. It's the "other" 5 that light up the gauges.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you from changing the 6 (total) indicator and idiot lights to LEDs, but since they shine through coloured lenses, you would probably want to use white LEDs for them and blue/red whatever colour you prefer for the gauge faces.

There are 3-10mm nuts that hold the instrument cluster to the upper fairing stay. I removed these and pulled the cluster loose to facilitate changing the bulbs more easily.

And don't put the blue LEDs in the turn signal holes. With the amber lense it turns green, and you CANNOT see it in daylight. You think it is a pain taking the front cowl off once? Put them in the signals, and you get to take it off twice.

• Member Contributer

Ok maybe another dumb question :wheel: , im getting ready to order the bulbs, how many do i need?

im going to order both colors to see what the red look like..

thanks

Michael