Replacement for the Honda plastic clippy things

Veefer800Canuck

Since this is a bit of an evergreen topic, I thought I'd post an inexpensive fixit for the stupid fairing clips.

I got these rather robust clips from my local NAPA outlet, 10 to a pack for 7 bucks.

gallery_554_345_198293.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture 009.jpg

They are larger then the stock Honda clips and require you to slightly enlarge the mounting holes by using a slightly larger drill bit and turning it by hand through the fairing holes. Don't use a drill, not required. Try 1 size larger, test the new clip and if it's still too tight, try 1 size larger still.

Here's a lineup of the crappy broken Honda clip, an intact one, and the NAPA one:

gallery_554_345_379759.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture 011.jpg

• Member Contributer

Suh-weet! This is one of the reasons I wish I lived in the USA - awesome cheap stuff everywhere. Here, I have to contend with businesses run by hairy bikers who sound like they're inbred. And if you want it from the USA - wait 10-14 days and hope customs doesn't get you.

Our roads are twistier though, and we have more of 'em.

• 4 weeks later...

McMaster-Carr also has something that should work. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and do a search for "push rivets" or go to catalog page 3152. Scroll down to "Nylon Reusable Snap-Lock Rivets" section and they have a variety of sizes to choose from.

-Romy

mcmaster.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

~~~

• 2 months later...
Guest RideRedWA

I just bought a bag from fastener warehouse. It should be here next week and I will have more than I need so if anyone in the Seattle eastside area needs some, let me know and I will gladly share them. You can even have my broken ones as well. :blink:

I just bought a bag from fastener warehouse. It should be here next week and I will have more than I need so if anyone in the Seattle eastside area needs some, let me know and I will gladly share them. You can even have my broken ones as well. :blink:

How about if YOU toss 10 of em in an envelope and mail em to me...and I'll toss $____(you fill in the blank) in an envelope and mail it to you smile.gif . Hit me with a PM if you'd want to share all the way over to Wisconsin.

BTW I went to the local shop a couple days ago because I noticed I was missing two of these and they told me $3.99 EACH! I'm still missing two of them...

• Member Contributer
How about if YOU toss 10 of em in an envelope and mail em to me...and I'll toss $____(you fill in the blank) in an envelope and mail it to you smile.gif . Hit me with a PM if you'd want to share all the way over to Wisconsin.

:blink: what about Florida? I would like to have 10 of those too.

Guest ex TZ tuner

BTW I went to the local shop a couple days ago because I noticed I was missing two of these and they told me $3.99 EACH! I'm still missing two of them...

Hey neighbor,

Old VFR pilot here, I'm old, the viffer is much newer, and I'd come p/u a few if you have any left over..

Thanks

Jabez from Kenmore

• 1 month later...
Since this is a bit of an evergreen topic, I thought I'd post an inexpensive fixit for the stupid fairing clips.

I got these rather robust clips from my local NAPA outlet, 10 to a pack for 7 bucks.

gallery_554_345_198293.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

They are larger then the stock Honda clips and require you to slightly enlarge the mounting holes by using a slightly larger drill bit and turning it by hand through the fairing holes. Don't use a drill, not required. Try 1 size larger, test the new clip and if it's still too tight, try 1 size larger still.

Here's a lineup of the crappy broken Honda clip, an intact one, and the NAPA one:

gallery_554_345_379759.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

you know the 2 bottom fairing joints prt #45612 body tight fastener at pepboys works great, push button type can be used easily many times, They are like $1 for 2 . They only fit the bottom though cause of the clearance. But they are so simple and easy to operate it's the only choice for the bottom fairing joint IMO.

• Member Contributer
I just ordered 100. The stock ones are HORRIBLE.

Thanks for the tip!

I don't know what's wrong with the stock ones?

I took apart my bike for the first time since buying it used and I thought those clips were ingenious and simple to use. Then again, I do have skinny little lady fingers, ahem I mean aristocratic hands.

Guy I bought the bike from gave me the Saturn clips he had left. When I took it apart I found four of them in the bike, so I went to the Honda dealer and got four for $11. I had it apart and I broke one of the Saturn clips trying to figure out how to get it out.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, I just bought some clips too, and I screwed up badly. sad.gif

I was working on my son's car in the weekend (chucked out all the intake hoses, and fitted a shorter flexible hose, K&N filter, and hood scoop) and the hood lining needed new clips. The standard ones were rivets (!) and the few that were left were corroded to hell. Anyway, he wanted to re-rivet the lining, but I thought the chances of getting some rivets with giant heads on a weekend were minimal, so suggested we buy some 'cheaper' plastic body clips.

<_<

Found some at the auto parts store, 6 to a packet, so I got a packet of 4 6mm "screwvits" while I was there. His 18 body clips were around $30, and my four clips cost me nearly $10.

Would've been cheaper to get the Genuine Honda ones...

• Member Contributer
I was working on my son's car in the weekend (chucked out all the intake hoses, and fitted a shorter flexible hose, K&N filter, and hood scoop)

WOT????? NAE NACA'S??????? :rolleyes:

I was working on my son's car in the weekend (chucked out all the intake hoses, and fitted a shorter flexible hose, K&N filter, and hood scoop)

WOT????? NAE NACA'S??????? :rolleyes:

Frayed knot.

There was actually very few scoops/vents/ducts available. The one he bought was a "Imprezza-style' one, in black-painted fibreglass. Afterwards I had a look on the Interdweeb and there were very few available, and all much dearer than the (what we thought was outrageous) 150 UnZud ShekelDollars.

The whole project was surprisingly expensive. It started out as his Peugeot 205 GTi having a hiccup, that I thought might be an airleak, as the bolts for his airflow unit had previously fallen out. It turned out that the intake hose to the airfilter was ripped almost completely through, as was the hose between the filter and the sensor. Our options were:

Try to get a 70mm connector hose to replace the latter one + another hose that was 70mm at one end, and 60mm at the other, OR

Replace the whole thing with just one hose and a pod filter. :thumbsup:

Looked alright in theory, but ended up being a two-day mission for me.

We (eventually) found a flexible 75mm hose+clamps ($35), a K&N pod-filter ($140), a straight connector we thought was chromed steel, but which was plastic ($13), the scoop ($150).

Then we needed a replacement Bosch airflow sensor flange ($20), a grinding wheel for the hole in the hood ($4.95), some plastic clips ($30), some primer paint ($18), a piece of metal mesh ($1!), some epoxy putty to glue the mesh in the scoop ($14), some black silicon to stick the scoop on ($17), a sheet of aluminium for a heat shield(~$4).

That's nearly $450!

I'm sure that the Peugeot hoses (if we could get some) would've been less than half that, but he likes the "kewlness factor" of the big black nose in front of the windscreen. (He didn't think a lower-profile scoop or duct would've been as kewl...)

• Member Contributer

i bought a bag of 100pcs only to find out they are 6.4mm instead of 6mm. side by side comparison these replacments are huge. best i found so far in 6mm is #19787 by Au-ve-co products Cold Spring, Ky 41076. if anyone is interested i will try and find the receipt..................

Guest FactoryRC46

try searching online for 'the clip link' its a website of fasteners - found two replacement there cheap.

-CG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
McMaster-Carr also has something that should work. Go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and do a search for "push rivets" or go to catalog page 3152. Scroll down to "Nylon Reusable Snap-Lock Rivets" section and they have a variety of sizes to choose from.

-Romy

mcmaster.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

~~~

RideRedWa by chance do still have any of these?

• 1 month later...
I just bought some from this eBay shop: http://myworld.ebay.com/pageauto1

Search for "21077123". They fit perfectly. $6.99 for 25 clips + 2.80 for Priority Mail shipping, and I got them in 2 days.

Helluva lot better than $2.65 each at the dealer!

:warranty:

just got these in. a little tighter fit than the stock, but they did work without any modifications. my only concern is how hard it will be to get them out once they are a little dirty as you have to pull the center of the head out to get them to release and i can see having to bugger them up to do this once dirty.