1979 CB750K Question

Guest DonnyBallGame

Guest DonnyBallGame

Hey guys, I know it is not the right model bike, but it is a Honda. A close frien of mine brought a '79 CB750K back to life. It is a great looking bike and did run sweet. One of the Spark Generator went out on it and the part is not avialable from Honda any longer.

I wanted to know where we should start looking for parts, or if any of you guys had any experience with the same bike/part. Are there any other parts that can be cross referenced into this bike? Any help is welcome. It's too good a bike to sit there and not run. Thanks iin advance for any help.

Guest 'Olyman
Hey guys, I know it is not the right model bike, but it is a Honda.  A close frien of mine brought a '79 CB750K back to life.  It is a great looking bike and did run sweet.  One of the Spark Generator went out on it and the part is not avialable from Honda any longer.

I wanted to know where we should start looking for parts, or if any of you guys had any experience with the same bike/part.  Are there any other parts that can be cross referenced into this bike?  Any help is welcome.  It's too good a bike to sit there and not run.  Thanks iin advance for any help.

I had one of the first CB 750 way back when, What a joy to ride.

I would first try some of the online web sites,ie Service Honda, Bike Bandit.....

Then try some of the mc salvage yards. Just type Motorcycle salvage and you may find one near you. PJ :wheel:

Guest jtwolf

Don't go with OEM electrics if you're not going to show the bike. If you want a rider, replace the electrics with a modern system. You can buy after-market electrics that combine the reg and rectifier into a single unit. Also, consider a solid-state ignition.

Lots of these bike were imported and there are lots of aftermarket part sources. Update the electrics and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

Guest elwood_617

Ha! some one that I can help!

I had an 81 CB750C, cool bike but I couldn't justify keeping it. I got a lot of new parts from Bike Bandit, not the cheapest but they do have great service and they had every part that I needed. http://www.bikebandit.com

Here are some other links

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/motorcycles/?bike=CB750

http://www.loudfastugly.com/

http://sohc4.us/bikes/cb750

http://www.olypen.com/retro/

There is a pretty good following for the SOHC bikes, just look around on the internet.

Oh yeah, if you want to get rid of the points, Dynatek makes a really nice electronic kit for the bike.

• Member Contributer

I have an '81 900F (same basic powerplant). If you're serious about getting info look here: F-Heaven. These guys are certified twin cam crazy.

As to your friends problem. Did he lose the hall effect sensor on the crank or the ignitor/amplifier under the seat? I think both are still available if your dealer will dig a bit. On the other hand, a lot of folks at the "F" site are into Dyna 2000s.

I have an '81 900F (same basic powerplant). If you're serious about getting info look here:  F-Heaven. These guys are certified twin cam crazy.

As to your friends problem. Did he lose the hall effect sensor on the crank or the ignitor/amplifier under the seat?  I think both are still available if your dealer will dig a bit. On the other hand, a lot of folks at the "F" site are into Dyna 2000s.

The ignitor/amplifier did a meltdown. sad.gif

Guest elwood_617

I did the Dynatek ignition and I loved it, great buy, easy to install (if your mechanically inclined and can follow a wiring diagram), and makes it really easy to adjust timing.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, didn't Honda announce a couple of years ago that they would only produce replacement parts for bikes going back ten years? After that, only the parts left in their warehouses would be available to the public, first come first serve.

I guess I better hoarde some for mine very soon!!

What a bummer for us classic Honda owners!

Beck

95 VFR, a modern classic!

• Member Contributer
The ignitor/amplifier did a meltdown. sad.gif

Try the "F" site. Somebody there is bound to have some of this stuff laying around. However, this may be a good time to look into the Dynatek. As Elwood noted they are really easy to install and offer a number of features the stock sytem doesn't, for example multiple advance curves, a programable rev limiter, and, if you get coils to go with it, a spark that will almost ignite diesel fuel.

good luck.

Archived