Battery Life?

stic3

• Member Contributer

I have a 2000 with 16,000 miles on it, I bought it in June of 2004 with 4000 miles on the clock. It has given me no problems at all, other than a steady appetite for more mods. What I am concerned about is that it has the original battery still. I have read about the VFRs problem with it's R/R, a supposed cause of this failure is a weak battery.

I have always stored the bike in the heated indoors during the winter, the first winter I would roll it outside on my downstairs patio and start it up, let it run for 10 to 15 minutes. This year I brought it into my downstairs workshop and did not take it outside for those running exercises, instead I bought a small Battery Tender and let it charge about 1 day a week.

None of my modifications have involved the electrical system, such as heated grips or addtional outlets. Still I am concerned as to the health of the battery since it is 6 years old. This year I brought it outside and it started right up and runs great, I have already put on about 600 miles on the rare days that the weather has permited me to ride.

Should I replace the battery as a preventative measure or should I just let it go?

• Member Contributer

6 years is a long time for a battery. I would hookup a volt meter to check your R/R health (as to not fry a new battery) and replace this one before.

Should be OK. If it starts to feel weak, or doesn't test OK, then replace it.

I had the same battery on my VF500 from the day I bought it till the day I sold it, and it was still going OK. That was after nearly 7 years of semi-abuse (like several times leaving the key in the 'P' position so the park lights were on all day). Apart from ALWAYS using only distilled water in it, I did nothing to care for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the need to start the bike up over the winter just to let it run. Just hook the battery up to a tender.

Question for you guys, without starting a new post: any downfalls to ordering an aftermarket battery online vs. one from the dealer? Less quality, ect? I was told once when buying a battery to make sure they charge it in case it's been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

So yea, my '03 battery is getting weak. Guess 6 years is a long time for a battery.

• Member Contributer

Hook up a battery trickle charger so you can just plug the battery back in every night.

I've been doing this forever, they claim it doubles the life of the battery to keep it topped off... can't say I have any personal evidence it makes it last that much longer but it seems like an easy thing to do to be safe.

• Member Contributer

Dumb question, but:

I'm new to riding - about a year. Had my 04 VFR now for about 4 months. I was unable to ride for the past 1 - 2 months (injury related). I went to start the bike, battery tried to start but went dead. Charged for a while on a trickle charger, enough to get it going, and it worked, took a 10 minute ride, parked back in the garage. 5 days later go to ride, battery dead again.

Is this normal for bike batteries - use it or lose it? If I do a full trickle charge on the battery and ride for more than 10 minutes, should that sustain it for a while - maybe 3 - 7 days in between rides?

Thanks!

Scott

• Member Contributer

It should definitely be OK for a week or something but if you leave it unattended for a month or two especially in the winter it's probably going to be dead.

Battery tenders are like $20, they're worth it.

Stic,

I have the same bike, with 23k miles and the original battery. I just got mine out Monday night after a long winter. I left my battery tender on all winter, as I always do. When I went to start it, it wouldn't turn over. Everything worked fine, but there was no load capacity. So, I went to Batteries Plus and bought a new one. $45 for a sealed AGM battery. Charged it for an hour, just because, and everything was back to normal. Now, to your question. I wouldn't replace a batt, or any other operational component, just because, that's money you could be spending on beer or more riding gear. If it's dying, it will let you know. Then do it. Or have it tested if you're nervous.

As some others have said, get a Battery Tender and use it all the time. I have been for 5 or 6 years and batteries have not been an issue since.

Oh, and about those mid-winter exercises; unless you are running it long enough to really heat up the engine, you are doing more harm than good. The condensation caused by warming up a cool engine without burning off that condensation is bad for all the internal components as well as the oil.

Take care,

Landshark

Archived