Making a H4 headlight fit a 5th gen

Guest Kr0nus

Guest Kr0nus

I'm just posting this in case someone new (like me) read that you can buy a H4 bulb and modify it to fit a 5th gen VFR. All you have to do is bend 2 tabs back. I didn't feel comfortable doing that when I heard about it. But, I happened to have bought the wrong head lights (H4's) so i had to do it anyway. I ended up getting some Lockhart Phillips H4's.

First, you are going to have to take the upper cowl off. It's pretty easy to do; I didn't even need the manual for that. You don't need to take the sides off at all. If you need to know how to take the upper cowl off just ask and I'll take mine off again and take pictures.

After you get the upper cowl off look at the back of it and you will see a rubber piece that covers the back of the headlight bulb. There is a tab for the rubber piece on the bottom, just pull it off and take the rubber piece off. You will then see this:

pict00638tn.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

There is a wire retainer that keeps the bulb in. There are 2 screws keeping this wire in. I just unscrewed the upper right screw a little bit and moved the retaining wire out of the way and took the bulb out. Look at your bulb. There are 2 coils inside of them. One coil is for your low beams and the other is for your high beams. If either of these are broken then you need to replace your bulb

pict00623ca.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

The one on the left is the H4 and the one on the right is the OEM Honda bulb. As you can see the 2 lower tabs on the H4 are spaced a little bit narrower than the OEM Honda.

pict00648hn.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

All you have to do is take the two lower tabs and bend them up. Put the bulb back in and that it, put everything back together.

I also had to replace 3 gauge lights yesterday too. If you want to know how to do that let me know and I?ll post how to do it.

I know these are just simple things, but I know there are some people out there that are afraid to work on their bikes on any level. Hopefully this will take some of that fear away because this was super simple.

-Rahsaan

• Member Contributer

Isn't this the same information we have talked about in other threads? I seem to remember something not long ago when someone else posted about H4 adapter rings. As far as removing the upper cowl, most of the time it is not necessary if you just turn the bars you can reach in with your hand and do the work.

• Member Contributer
I'm just posting this in case someone new (like me) read that you can buy a H4 bulb and modify it to fit a 5th gen VFR.  All you have to do is bend 2 tabs back.  I didn't feel comfortable doing that when I heard about it.  But, I happened to have bought the wrong head lights (H4's) so i had to do it anyway.  I ended up getting some Lockhart Phillips H4's.

-Rahsaan

Great timing im getting ready to do this... now my question will all H4 bulbs have 2 filaments to provide both low and high beams for the 5th gen ? (the aftermarket bulbs)

Michael :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Isn't this the same information we have talked about in other threads? I seem to remember something not long ago when someone else posted about H4 adapter rings.  As far as removing the upper cowl, most of the time it is not necessary if you just turn the bars you can reach in with your hand and do the work.

it was related, but the pictures and info were directed at the 6th gen i beleive because they have 2 bulbs and the 5th gen has one... and the pictures here are great too!

:joystick:

Isn't this the same information we have talked about in other threads? I seem to remember something not long ago when someone else posted about H4 adapter rings.  As far as removing the upper cowl, most of the time it is not necessary if you just turn the bars you can reach in with your hand and do the work.

I got big arms bro. There wasn't enough room in there for me to reach. The easiest way (for me) was to take the upper cowl off. That way I could get a clear picture of what I was working on. If you guys can reach though more power to you.

Michael, I cannot say for sure weather or not all H4 bulbs have a high beam. I'm thinking they should. It's easy to tell though, just look for 2 coils in the bulb. Just about all headlights have a high beam on them.

• Member Contributer

yea it was tight but once you do it its a snap. Another trick with the tabs is to cut them off with tin snips. The Silverstars or PIAA bulbs are the ticket.

yea it was tight but once you do it its a snap. Another trick with the tabs is to cut them off with tin snips. The Silverstars or PIAA bulbs are the ticket.

Yeah I was going to say you could just cut them off. But, some people don't like cutting things, but then again it's probably the same people that don't like to bend things either :beer:

• Member Contributer
Great timing im getting ready to do this... now my question will all H4 bulbs have 2 filaments to provide both low and high beams for the 5th gen ? (the aftermarket bulbs)

Michael :thumbsup:

MIchael,

The H4 spec is dual filament. You'll be fine.

• Member Contributer
MIchael,

The H4 spec is dual filament. You'll be fine.

great thanks! are these silverstars as bright as the PIAA? i just didnt want to wait and order them online when the silverstars are available locally?

thanks

Michael

• Member Contributer

I don't think they are as a bright as the PIAA bulbs but darn close and a lot cheaper. The upside to PIAA is that they warrenty them for life, even in a motorcycle.

I have PIAA in my 6th gen and Silverstars in my 5th.

• 2 weeks later...
First, you are going to have to take the upper cowl off.  It's pretty easy to do; I didn't even need the manual for that.  You don't need to take the sides off at all.  If you need to know how to take the upper cowl off just ask and I'll take mine off again and take pictures.

Thanks for the writeup! I'd love a quick synopsis of how you quickly removed the upper fairing. You don't have to go to the trouble of doing it again and taking photos, but just a quick summary of what you did would be really useful.

Thanks,

Payne

Thanks for the writeup!  I'd love a quick synopsis of how you quickly removed the upper fairing.  You don't have to go to the trouble of doing it again and taking photos, but just a quick summary of what you did would be really useful.

Thanks,

Payne

Well I took photos anyway smile.gif . I'm a visual kinda guy.

For the sake of taking way to many photos I only took pix of one side. The upper cowling is symetrical so just do the same thing to the other side. Oh, and yes I know my bike is a little dirty. Those scratches there aren't from me either, they are from the previous owner. I'll take them out one of these days.

I started with the 2 allen screws just below the grips.

upper25hh.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Then there is a trim clip on the inside.

pict00801xu.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Then the 3 allen screws on the side.

pict00735xh.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Then the 2 trim clips above the front tire. Don't unscrew the phillips screw to the left. It is there to keep the turn signal there.

pict00764nb.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Now unscrew the 2 allen screws that hold the side view mirrors.

pict00747vl.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

And the screw behind it

pict00826lj.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Now unscrew this phillips screw.

pict00778bv.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

And this one.

pict00819he.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Now you can remove the upper cowl. Just move it around a little and it will come off. Now disconnect your lights and turn signals and that's it.

pict00833io.th.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Hope this helps.

Well I took photos anyway  smile.gif .  I'm a visual kinda guy.

Using your superb writeup I had my upper cowl off in no time. However, I found that for every minute I saved by not removing the side fairings, I spent TWO trying to finesse the upper back into place. Grrrrrrrrr! I ended up removing the side fairings anyway; it was only another 8 bolts and 2 plastic thingies. I think the service manual has it right in suggesting to remove the sides first; I'd highly recommend that to others to save lots of frustration.

Thanks anyway. I guess it worked out better for you.

Payne

• Member Contributer
All you have to do is take the two lower tabs and bend them up.  Put the bulb back in and that it, put everything back together.

If you are going to the extent of removing the upper cowl, I would suggest this approach to the headlight issue:

http://webpages.charter.net/bpeloquin/H4mod.html

This is what I did on my '94.

Since one of my high beams just went out the other day, I'll also be doing it to my '01.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
If you are going to the extent of removing the upper cowl, I would suggest this approach to the headlight issue:

http://webpages.charter.net/bpeloquin/H4mod.html

This is what I did on my '94.

Since one of my high beams just went out the other day, I'll also be doing it to my '01.

What size bulbs are supposed to fit in my 97 if the H4's need to be "modified?" I've been looking everywhere, but Honda doesn't put it in the owner or service manual. Definitely considering the H4's though since everybody likes them. I can't see crap in the dark with the low beams on, and the brights aren't much better (probably original bulbs). Opinions welcome!

• 4 months later...

The power of VFRD...

• One headlight on my 5th gen went out
  • Figured it was a good time to look at other lighting options
  • Loaded up VFRD and hit Search
  • HIDs will have to wait for $$, but H4 Silverstars looked like a good option
  • After a run to Autozone, I had this thread open on the laptop while I worked on the bike
  • A few minutes later, I had Silverstars x2!

Archived