Can I charge through an aux fuse box?

Guest cmb6s

Guest cmb6s

I currently have a Blue Sea fuse box hooked up directly to my battery and have various components, including a BMW plug, coming off the fuse box. My question is, can I hook up a battery tender through this BMW style plug to charge the battery (keep in mind that the plug is coming from the aux fuse box and not directly from the battery)? Or am I asking for trouble here? +1.gif

Guest 67GTONUT
I currently have a Blue Sea fuse box hooked up directly to my battery and have various components, including a BMW plug, coming off the fuse box.  My question is, can I hook up a battery tender through this BMW style plug to charge the battery (keep in mind that the plug is coming from the aux fuse box and not directly from the battery)?  Or am I asking for trouble here?  :unsure:

Thats how I have mine done....... my Powerlet is connected to my Blue Sea Aux box..... no problems here.

*** note if your aux box is powered up via a relay........ it wont work...... because when the bike is off..... the relay opens the connection to/from the battery and wont allow it to charge***

*** note if your aux box is powered up via a relay........ it wont work...... because when the bike is off..... the relay opens the connection to/from the battery and wont allow it to charge***

Yeah, good call on that point. I'd been thinking about hooking up a relay to the box, but I guess I'll pass on that idea now. I'll just leave the relays inline to each accessory as I see fit. Thanks for the heads up.

• Member Contributer

The fuse box I have jumpers across the hot side of the fuse block. I have 4 circuits and can have up to 4 inputs, what I am saying is that you could power up your powerlet kit from a circircuitrectly from the battery and power up your other accaccessrips, voltmeter, etc.....) from the other 3 circuits powered from the relay.

gallery_4338_691_6265.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

S2400077.JPG

You can kind of see the jumper along the left side of the fuse block, note the 1 input to all 4 circuits, only jumper 3 of the circuits and go hot on the 4th, would work wonders and you couldn't leave your heated grips on and drain your battery.

I currently have a Blue Sea fuse box hooked up directly to my battery and have various components, including a BMW plug, coming off the fuse box.  My question is, can I hook up a battery tender through this BMW style plug to charge the battery (keep in mind that the plug is coming from the aux fuse box and not directly from the battery)?  Or am I asking for trouble here?  +1.gif

I use a Battery Tender though my fuse panel (not Blue Sea). Although the majority of the connections are energised through a relay, I modified two to be "always on". I use one of these to hook up the Battery Tender.

The current on a Battery Tender is so low, I can't see problems. Anyway, I haven't had any for the past four years that I have used this daily. :huh:

Archived