No Low Beams

Guest vfrbob

Guest vfrbob

I lost my low beams yesterday on my 2001 VFR. Both bulbs are out.

High beams work fine. I took the switch apart, it looks OK. Is there a relay for the low beams? Or are the low beams wired in series, one goes out they both go out?

Any help will be appreciated.

Bob

checked the fuse?put a volt meter on the headlight connections and see if its getting power.if not start checking with volt meter back to the battery to find the problem circuit.im sure the bulbs would be wired in parallel.

Sometimes when I switch my lights from high to low beam, I have to do it kinda softly, cuz for some reason if you switch it over fast they'll go out temporarily. Maybe you have the same problem as me, it hasn't been too much trouble though so I haven't messed with it.

Did you verify the bulbs are good and you don't have power to them?? I put Silverstars in my 2001 and they lasted about a year. One day I pulled up behind someone at a light and both low beams were out. High beams worked just fine. I ended up putting my stock bulbs back in since they were still good and haven't had any problems since.

Guest Fretka

I had an intermittent right turn indicator, sometimes it would work, sometimes it would work but with a delay of 10 seconds or more and occasionly not at all. Problem was remedied by spraying WD-40 into the switch mech. Essentially contact cleaner as mentioned above.

• Member Contributer
Sometimes when I switch my lights from high to low beam, I have to do it kinda softly, cuz for some reason if you switch it over fast they'll go out temporarily. Maybe you have the same problem as me, it hasn't been too much trouble though so I haven't messed with it.

The fifth-gen and sixth-gen bikes are different. When you switch on your high beams your low beam bulbs go out, unlike on the sixth-gen whereby both the low-beam bulbs and the high-beam bulbs are active at the same time.

Different circuitry, different problems. I have found on my sixth-gen that the starter switch can cause all the headlights to go out, if it sticks. And my starter switch has started to become sticky. It's a two-stage switch, whereby the first stage turns the lights out and the second stage activates the starter motor relay. If the first stage switch malfunctions, your headlights can stay off after starting the bike.

Kaldek

Are you sure your low beam coil just didn't go out? Pull your bulb out and look for the 2 coils in your bulb. If you only see one coil then that's why your low beams don't work. I just had to replace my bulbs because my low beams went out. You can get some H4 bulbs and just bend 2 of the tabs back and they will fit your 5th gen. I took some pix when I changed mine (did it today) I'll post them probably tomorrow.

• Member Contributer
Yes, there is - one relay for low, one for high.

gallery_3710_217_31376.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

relays.jpg

I had a simalr problem last fall.

Riding at nught with High Beams and my Gerbing Heated jacket on. When I would switch to low beam there was a couple of seconds of delay before the lights came back on. I figured it was the Gerbing so I rode with it off for as long as I could. But it was Freaking COLD out. 36 degrees or less.

I have no tout the bike in the same situation since, but my guess was relays that did not like the extra load. Or a battery that was getting old.

Archived