Vtec Shock Options

Baileyrock

Storm, the overall design, build, and remote preload aduster and dampening controls on an Ohlins make all the difference. Other aftermarket options like Penske are good too.

It's always possible to save money with a cheapo compromise, but a fully adjustable top-quality suspension is one of the most important features of a motorcycle. I completely disagree in the strongest terms with Mr. Daugherty's subjective opinion that a top-quality suspension reveals its benefits only at the track.

But K-Mart is popular for a reason, and it isn't because K-Mart equals top quality . . .

Edited by Alaskan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a hassle, with a 929 shock simply not having room without modifying both sides of the LBS bracket, I got a F4/i shock modded by JamieD and got that installed.

Only mods required were a bit of trimming of the wire tray around the battery to clear the remote-reservoir hose.

The reservoir is currently zip-tied to the frame rail just below the battery.

IMG_20121019_191220.jpg

IMG_20121019_191232.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Slumpbuster

Lots here to digest. I am 230 in gear and with four kids I do not have much riding time other than a fairly short commute. I want to do a simple, cheap upgrade(less than $150). It appears my best options are the Blackbird or the VFR 1200 swap. At my weight the headlight also hits the cars ahead of me pretty high at night. My question is what is best for my needs and should I grab a shim(of what size) off of eBay too? Thanks

After a bit of a hassle, with a 929 shock simply not having room without modifying both sides of the LBS bracket, I got a F4/i shock modded by JamieD and got that installed.

Only mods required were a bit of trimming of the wire tray around the battery to clear the remote-reservoir hose.

Great! and congrats!

BTW is the spacer on the top or bottom of the shock?

BR

Lots here to digest. I am 230 in gear and with four kids I do not have much riding time other than a fairly short commute. I want to do a simple, cheap upgrade(less than $150). It appears my best options are the Blackbird or the VFR 1200 swap. At my weight the headlight also hits the cars ahead of me pretty high at night. My question is what is best for my needs and should I grab a shim(of what size) off of eBay too? Thanks

Budget would be the Blackbird shock(bolt-in) and .95 for springs.

BR

• Member Contributer

I've found that mounting the reservoir on the right hand side does not require any modifications to the battery box. As you have shown, it can be done either way. it's always nice to have flexibility!

Budget would be the Blackbird shock(bolt-in) and .95 for springs.

BR

Bear in mind the CBR-XX shock is no better than the VFR800 stock unit, so no advantage to changing to it.

Great! and congrats!

BTW is the spacer on the top or bottom of the shock?

BR

Spacer is in the bracket that goes through the frame on the upper mount.

I should have taken a pic of it before installation.

I've found that mounting the reservoir on the right hand side does not require any modifications to the battery box. As you have shown, it can be done either way. it's always nice to have flexibility!

I didn't see anywhere/way to route the hose/res to the right side, but I may have not looked at it well enough.

Bear in mind the CBR-XX shock is no better than the VFR800 stock unit, so no advantage to changing to it.

Actually the XX shock has two befits over a VFR shock on a 6th gen for a typical heavier rider!

1- It has a stiffer spring and valving to match (16.9kg vs 15.3kg) memory serving

2- it's slightly longer raising the rear to provide quicker steering

Is it ideal? NO! but were talking simple & cheap mods that help move in the correct direction! :tongue:

BR

• 2 months later...
Guest 91talon

The CBR-XX is the same length as the 02+ VFR800 shock - FYI

I thought the XX rear shock was somewhere in the area of 319-322mm, while the 800 is about 315?

• 3 weeks later...

After much anguish and an overflowing 5 gallon Swear Jar, a JD 929 shock is in my 05. I initially trimmed and mutilated every bit of plastic around the headers off to the right, hopefully this doesn't make my butt too hot or the overheat the LBS.

Shock is installed with reservoir on left, damping adjustments accessible on right. Had to bend some brake piping out of the way and grind the LBS support frame where it bolts onto the frame on the left. Used a wizzy wheel to do this. All in all tank was loosened, wheel removed, chain guard removed, and linkage triangles/dogbone removed. No need to separate the shock extension, with the swingarm jacked all the way up, rotate the upper shock mount bolt over the reservoir and wiggle it in up from the bottom of the swingarm hole. Lower swingarm an inch or two to fit a hand in above the chain and straighten the upper shock bolt out. Insert bolt up through frame hole under tank pivot. Reattach linkage. All bolts torqued to 33ft/lbs (pounds/foot).

The key was taking my time and carefully grinding the left attachment of the LBS bracket. Bike feels amazing now! By far the worst experience I have ever had working on a bike, but one of the best (and necessary) mods for the 6th Gen to maintain its status as my long range guided missile.

No pics, although the aftermath in the garage is impressive, sawzall, Dremel, Dremel bits and wheels, hole saw, drill, air hose, wizzy wheel, grinding wheels, wrenches, allen keys, sockets, piles of plastic and metal shavings. Surprisingly no blood. And the bike still runs.

Congrats on the install .

Requesting JD to build an F4i shock instead of the 929 will save Major headache when installing in a 6th gen.

BR

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I often wonder, "What have I gotten myself into?" whenever installation involves, Sawzall, Deremel, Grinder and the like...But as long as nothing snaps in two, breaks off at the wrong moment, or generally doesn't loose its structural integrity, I guess it's what has to be done! When I bought my Heli-Bars, one if the first instructions is to take a Dremel and cut off one of the banjo bolt stay tabs. I was a little surprised but knowing it was not going to diminish any clutch or braking capability, out came the Dremel. Oh, and any installation that does not involve blood letting is a good one. Knuckle busters are expected when working in tight spaces though.

Congrats on your install. Enjoy your "new" bike!

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the install . Requesting JD to build an F4i shock instead of the 929 will save Major headache when installing in a 6th gen. BR Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I can attest to the JDM F4i shock install on a 6th gen non-ABS is possible without modifications to any parts of a stock bike. I would not have been able to do the job by myself however (due to my limited mechanical skills). I think even an experienced MC mechanic would do well to have a helper. Fred (huntinggunns) was my mechanical expert. We did angle the mounting bracket some while lining up the bolt to the hole in the subframe and then with the shock half-way home, used a wrench to straighten the bracket before tightening the mounting nut on top. It definitely took some finagling to get it in. We removed the triangles and dogbone as well.

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the install . Requesting JD to build an F4i shock instead of the 929 will save Major headache when installing in a 6th gen. BR Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I've been doing that for about three years now. The F4 is required for ABS models but either the F4 or a 929 is an option for non-ABS 6th Gen bikes.

The 929 shock with accessible preload adjuster was necessary for my application. The VFR carries a varying load from nothing but me, to grocery runs, to work clothes (including firefighter turnout gear), to overloading for extended trips.

Has anybody heard of or done business with this place? Looks like a pretty good deal for an Ohlins.

http://www.pureperformancecycles.com/Brand/Honda/Honda-VFR800/Suspension---Brakes/Ohlins-HO043-Shock-Absorber--02--12-VFR800-FI

Not a bad price but does it only have one damping adjuster? Meaning both compression and rebound are all in one similar to the stock shock?

Has anybody heard of or done business with this place? Looks like a pretty good deal for an Ohlins.

http://www.pureperformancecycles.com/Brand/Honda/Honda-VFR800/Suspension---Brakes/Ohlins-HO043-Shock-Absorber--02--12-VFR800-FI

Not a bad price but does it only have one damping adjuster? Meaning both compression and rebound are all in one similar to the stock shock?

Its fully adjustable, I don't think the nut you're seeing at the bottom is the adjuster, the adjustment is the two black rings stacked on top of eachother at the stop of the shock.

• Member Contributer

I think that shock only has rebound external adjustment.

Best to check on the Ohlins web site against the actual part number. EG: HO406

For compression adjustment with Ohlins you normally need the external resevoir.

Phil

• Member Contributer

Its fully adjustable, I don't think the nut you're seeing at the bottom is the adjuster, the adjustment is the two black rings stacked on top of eachother at the stop of the shock.

Don't think so...looking at the Ohlins site I don't think the photo is completely accurate...it doesn't show the piggy back reservoir, the rings at the top are the usual preload adjustment. The little black rings at the bottom you can barely see are the rebound damping adjuster. Compression damping adjustment in on the piggyback reservoir. The Ohlins site says that model has one...it's also supposed to have a length adjustment.

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Products/Hypersport/HO-406/

Click on the text just to the right of "Type" to get the info

Wonder how much trouble it is to mount on a 6th gen with the piggyback reservoir?

pretty sure that shock has rebound adjustment only. that's the black ring/knob at the bottom of the picture.

this is ollins most basic shock.

that's a little plug at the top were the remote hose would go.

BR

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2