Vtec Shock Options

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer

I am wondering if this my best/lowest cost solution under $500? I know that stock shocks suck. I gave my KLR Showa away and had a custom shock done by Cogent Dynamics. But, since the VFR isn't going offroad, I am hoping that a properly sprung and valved Showa might be OK for my purposes.

Soliciting comments.

This is the most common way to upgrade forks, but because it's so easy to change a shock I don't know of anyone who has done this.

Not sure I would trust a MTB shock builder to do a motorcycle shock. Air shocks are different.

Well, they also do motocross shocks, and are branching more into motorcycle applications. I've seen their shop and spring press jigs. They can easily do a Gold Valve and spring install. Whether they _will_ or not remains to be seen.

Since we get a VFRd discount, and I have RaceTech experience, this is what I am initially inclined to do.

Where are people sourcing CBR XX shocks?

So, i just got a Gen 6 (2004).

I am going to ask if they would do a RaceTech spring and gold valve installation on my stock Showa unit.

I am wondering if this my best/lowest cost solution under $500?

I would suggest you have the shop set-up a CBR F4i shock which would give you both Comp/Rebound adjustments for your 6th gen vs the crappy and mostly non-adjustable VFR shock. There should be little to No difference in cost and you should be able to pick one up of eBay for less than $50 shipped. :fing02:

The only other need would be a modded top mount with a 3/8" spacer on it.

IMO if someone is going to spend hundreds of dollars having a shock rebuilt and set-up for your VFR you might as well get as many adjustments as possible! :biggrin:

BR

• Member Contributer

I picked up my CBR F4i shock off ebay for $50 last year, after following the suggestions here. I had the spring replaced on it, and then had racetech springs & valves done in my front forks. I love it.

• Member Contributer

OK, riddle me this: should my aftermarket Hyperpro shock mounted in my 1993 Gen 3 drop into my 2004 Gen 6?

If so, i'm done. I'd rather not take both bikes apart and find that it doesn't. I'm sort of lazy that way. :computer-noworky::rolleyes::schla15:

OK, riddle me this: should my aftermarket Hyperpro shock mounted in my 1993 Gen 3 drop into my 2004 Gen 6?

If so, i'm done. I'd rather not take both bikes apart and find that it doesn't. I'm sort of lazy that way. :computer-noworky::rolleyes::schla15:

I doubt there are the same length, BUT someone here should have some numbers on a 3rd gen shock. The Vtec is 314mm eye to eye.

Is the Hyperpro shock Ride Height adjustable?

BR

I can only find the following data related to shocks that I have collated from all the threads.... I think I have some 3rd gen info somewhere but can't find it.

Spring rates

VFR1200F = 18.5kg/mm

VFR800 (5th & 6th gens) = 15.3kg/mm

CBR929 = 15.3kg/mm +/- same stroke length 57mm Vs 58mm (related to VTEC)

CBR954 = 14.6kg/mm

CBR XX = 16kg/mm

Bolt for extender (fitting 929 shock to 6th gen): 10x110-115mm (grind head for 5th gen)

Spacer for extender: 28-30mm

Eye-to-eye lengths

4th gen = 324mm (325mm)

5th gen = 325mm

6th gen = 316mm (317.5mm)

CBR929 = 286mm (288mm, 287mm)

CBR954 = 282mm

929 spring 4mm longer than 6th gen spring??

929 adjuster wrench part #: 89202-KY1-700

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that info.

It's weird to me, the new 2004 VFR rides as actively as my modified 1993. I didn't get maintenance records from the prior owner. He was the second owner, and only had it for 1,000 miles and one year. He didn't know anything about the first owner modifying the suspension, but I find it hard to believe that it rides as well as it does on a stock Showa. I guess I need to dig in there and see if I can find any evidence of mods.

Thanks for that info.

It's weird to me, the new 2004 VFR rides as actively as my modified 1993. I didn't get maintenance records from the prior owner. He was the second owner, and only had it for 1,000 miles and one year. He didn't know anything about the first owner modifying the suspension, but I find it hard to believe that it rides as well as it does on a stock Showa. I guess I need to dig in there and see if I can find any evidence of mods.

I have friends with 3rd and 4th gens that would run rings around some of the best riders on this forum... they are quite light and nimble bikes

• Member Contributer

So, it looks like my options are:

1. Ohlins S46DR1S @ ~$750

2. Try to swap the Hyperpro in my Gen 3, if the bearings can be made to fit. Cost: only time

3. Respring/revalve the stock Showa @ ~$300 with Racetech forum discount

4. Source F4i shock from flEabay for $50 and do above, ~$350 + locate appropriate spacer

I spent weekend time examining swapping rear wheels from '93 to '04. learned that the gen 6 wheel needs to be machined to clear the hub mounting bolts on the '93 drive unit. So, no shock fun, yet.

• 11 months later...
Guest slowhare

I upgraded my suspension with Jamie Daugherty (occasionally postes on VFRD). I have to give him props.... The forks are a great improvement over stock, and he also provided me with a revalved/sprung 929 rear shock. Although I struggled with the installation ('07 non-ABS), it did fit....barely but with no modifications necessary for just installation (access to adjusters-maybe). I did, however have to remove the adapter he provided, and reinstall it after the shock was in place.

The bike turns much better, with less dive under braking and less squat under acceleration than before -- and that's without touching any adjustments, just installing it as he sent it. I'll check the sag and maybe adjust a little rebound dampening in the shock, but I expect the adjustments to be minor. He did all this from the information that I provided...weight, ridiing condition/level, etc.

• 3 months later...

I upgraded my suspension with Jamie Daugherty (occasionally postes on VFRD). I have to give him props.... The forks are a great improvement over stock, and he also provided me with a revalved/sprung 929 rear shock. Although I struggled with the installation ('07 non-ABS), it did fit....barely but with no modifications necessary for just installation (access to adjusters-maybe). I did, however have to remove the adapter he provided, and reinstall it after the shock was in place.

The bike turns much better, with less dive under braking and less squat under acceleration than before -- and that's without touching any adjustments, just installing it as he sent it. I'll check the sag and maybe adjust a little rebound dampening in the shock, but I expect the adjustments to be minor. He did all this from the information that I provided...weight, ridiing condition/level, etc.

We would like ALL the info on this install as you are the first to get a 929 shock to fit a Vtec w/o more mods.

Please tell us exactly what and how you did it, where was the spacer installed? Top or bottom, what way was the reservoir facing? front or rear, is it hitting the head or tray? etc., etc.

There are several members trying to get their 929 shock to fit w/o any luck.

Thanks

BR

• Member Contributer

We would like ALL the info on this install as you are the first to get a 929 shock to fit a Vtec w/o more mods.

Please tell us exactly what and how you did it, where was the spacer installed? Top or bottom, what way was the reservoir facing? front or rear, is it hitting the head or tray? etc., etc.

Thanks

BR

This is not a true statement. I have built MANY of these and they were installed without a problem. The 6th Gens are tight but it can be done without modifcation. Not sure why you are trying to discourage other forum members but this is a very viable performance upgrade for non-ABS 02+ bikes.

Thanks

BR

This is not a true statement. I have built MANY of these and they were installed without a problem. The 6th Gens are tight but it can be done without modifcation. Not sure why you are trying to discourage other forum members but this is a very viable performance upgrade for non-ABS 02+ bikes.

Jamie,

I am only trying to help our members! They contact me for install help when trying to install 929 shocks (their buying from you) on a vtec and up until slowhare's install post I have never heard of a successful install on that app w/o the support bracket mod.

If it's a doable install then all I've been asking for is a usable procedure that can be posted up here on VFRD to help these members who Can't figure out how to make the 929 shock fit on their Vtecs! That's it. There's a thread active now WITH A MEMBER ASKING FOR THIS EXACT HELP AND A SECOND MEMBER POSTED IN THE SAME THREAD SAYING HE COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK EITHER! Both are your customers.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72834-cbr929-shock-fitment-02-non-abs/#entry859493

Can you help here???

BR

Guest slowhare

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72834-cbr929-shock-fitment-02-non-abs/

Please see the pic on post #20 for how tight the fit is:

Honestly, I'm struggling to remember exactly how I sneaked it up in there, but what I do remember is:

-having on the centerstand with rear wheel removed.

-then I tried several different positions of the swingarm to get it to slide in, including using an adjustable strap to hold the swingarm in whatever position I was attempting.

-almost gave up.

-tried again, without the adaptor.

-finally got it in.

-replaced the adaptor. If I remember right I had to keep the adaptor somewhat loose until I thread the top mount through and got the nut on top started.

I realize that isn't as helpful as you all might like, but I did this a while ago. :unsure:

Hi guys,

I am the other guy who couldn't get it to nstalled but finally did it without any mods.

I followed the same procedure as Slow here after getting confirmation from Jamie to assure me it fits, and that is removing the adaptor Jamie builds for the shock to get everything in place and then screwing it back on.

This is all with the reservoir facing the front and clearing the cylinder head by only a few milimiters. I know this may affect shock performance in the long run due to heat build-up but will try as it is before doing any mods the brackets. If I find it too bad then I'll look at making the necessary changes to install it with the reservoir to the back.

So it can be done without mods, you just need to remove the adapter first.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the post and help guys related to installing a 929 shock on a Vtec!!!

I agree completely with zROYz's thought's about heat here:

"The reservoir holds the nitrogen charge but the other side of bladder is oil, the heat from headers will heat the entire shock body is a big way & heat causes increased pressure in the nitrogen charge, deterioration to the rubber bladder which are already the weak point in that shock design. Add major heat to oil which already heats up from shock operation & the more heat the faster the shock oil also deteriorates. There is about zero air flow in that area so cooling effect would be again about zero, maybe after a hour or so riding reach down & feel how hot the shock body is & I bet you can't even touch for any length of time due to the heat.

I'm in noway saying the shock isn't going to be an improvement over the standard shock but that type of install must surely drop shock service interval period & have an effect on shock performance if you use say the shocks peak performance in normal operation conditions to overheated conditions as a gauge. It is all good the average punter feeling the shock is better because it will be over the standard but for the average punter to feel the decline in shock performance is asking allot & most wouldn't feel it on the VFR. Any after market shock built for the VFR has a remote compression reservoir for a reason, there R&D looking at fitments & operation is why they have that design. There is really zero R&D bolting in place any shock other than what was designed for the VFR so you have to weigh up the advantages & disadvantages. The room is already tight but if I was going to use say the 929 shock I would make the effort to mount reservoir away from headers & would still wrap the rear headers in heat tape."

I personally would NOT want to run a shock on my bike basically having it cooking itself. The whole idea of the remote reservoir is to get the charge and oil away from heat, not to put it into the oven. :huh:

Now for track days it might not be as bad as your only riding for 15-20 mins. at a time, but like zROYz stated this orientation of the reservoir will only cause issues(shock fade) that you are trying to avoid IMO!

Just because you can fit the thing in there doesn't mean it's a good application or use. IMO it would be a much better install if the reservoir was facing rearward away from the head/exhaust like it was designed to do on a CBR.

BR

I wonder if you can wrap the reservoir portion of the 929 shock in some sort of reflective heat shield/refractory batting material to deflect the engine heat......

Beck

95 VFR

That crossed my mind.

Hot rodders often use ceramic-based coatings to keep things from getting to warm. There's many many different versions, all of which claim to be the best.

I would prefer to have the reservoir away from there, but if that's not an option, coating it would be a good idea.

• Member Contributer

Heat on the reservoir is not a problem. The shock itself generates more heat than it would get from the engine. Don't worry - it's designed for that kind of environment. With good quality fluid it will be just fine.

Interested on the f4i shock swap on my 6th gen. Except the addition of spacer, is it a straight swap (planning of using the f4 spring)? Any suggestions on what type or kind of spacer to use?

Interested on the f4i shock swap on my 6th gen. Except the addition of spacer, is it a straight swap (planning of using the f4 spring)? Any suggestions on what type or kind of spacer to use?

Unless you weigh less than 130lbs do NOT run the F4i spring, it's like a 14kg which is softer then the already soft 15.3kg stock VFR spring.

BR

had the option to buy a used f4i penski for my vfr a few months back, was told it wouldnt fit, but i dono, i recon it would have the ride height adjustment to extend it to fit

If it had a hose mounted Remote Reservoir it would work no problem, if it was the Fixed type reservoir type it would not.

BR