Vtec Shock Options

Baileyrock

am dead tired.. and buzzed cant read the chart well. are you sure? i told the guy selling the springs on ebay . i ride a vfr 2 up most of the time!!!! ggggrrrrr :goofy:

The fool obveiously didn't have a clue what he was talking about! <_<

I'm 190 lbs and running a 19kg (1066 lb) rear spring on my 02 vfr.

One problem with VFR's and springs is that they tend to run spring rates on the highest end of avg. rates on many other bikes and a 14 kg spring would be a heavy spring for a GSXR or simular, but not the VFR.

What do you weight, that's the only way to know what spring you need on your VFR(year?)! +1.gif

I need help w/ spring specs for a 929 shock. I want to incease the rate by 20% like I did on the forks. Orig rate is 15.3, so the 19.36 seems like the right one. What are the dims of the spring (length and ID)? Then how do I make senso of the chart to come up w/ the part #?

Across the top of the chart is spring leignth, I think the F4i shock uses a 7" spring so the 1095- would be the length you need (7.1"). Ohlins mostly uses Neuton Meters, which is real close to kg but not exact.

Call Ohlins USA at 828-692-4525

and order a 1095-79/190 if in fact the F4i uses a 7" spring.

That's a 7.1"x 2.250" x 1085lb spring! :thumbsup:

NM to KG = nm divided 9.845(there abouts)= kg

kg to lbs = kg x 56.1= lbs +1.gif

Looks like nm to lbs would be: nm x 5.71= lbs! :thumbsup:

I need help w/ spring specs for a 929 shock. I want to incease the rate by 20% like I did on the forks. Orig rate is 15.3, so the 19.36 seems like the right one. What are the dims of the spring (length and ID)? Then how do I make senso of the chart to come up w/ the part #?

Across the top of the chart is spring leignth, I think the F4i shock uses a 7" spring so the 1095- would be the length you need (7.1"). Ohlins mostly uses Neuton Meters, which is real close to kg but not exact.

not trying to be an ass engineer, but the spring rate conversion is kg/mm to lbs/in for the 56x multiplier. i only point this out in the event they list the springs in some other format (ie kg/cm or lbs/thou or...) ok, i am being an a** :goofy:

I can't speak for the F4i, but I know the free length of a 929 rear spring is 6 7/16 inches.

So you should probably get the 1092 ohlins spring (6.7 inches). You'll end up with an extra 6.7 mm of preload though since the Ohlins spring is a tad bit longer than the stock 929 spring.

Thanks Rosso, so the bearings on the 90 to 93 models aren't built into the shock lower mount but must be on the lower wishbone or whatever the lower fixation point is on the bike... hmmmm. Wonder what a solution for that would be...

Thanks Rosso, so the bearings on the 90 to 93 models aren't built into the shock lower mount but must be on the lower wishbone or whatever the lower fixation point is on the bike... hmmmm. Wonder what a solution for that would be...

Most of the GSXR shocks mount that way and are very pleantiful and cheap, just need shock length and a much bigger spring! :pissed:

Cheers Bro!! I'll pass the tip on, he's not of a grand stature you might say, so the softer spring may not be a problem... unless there's also a big difference in the weight of the bike... a VFR750 from 1990 should weigh quite a bit less than the 5th and 6th gens...

• 10 months later...
Cheers Bro!! I'll pass the tip on, he's not of a grand stature you might say, so the softer spring may not be a problem... unless there's also a big difference in the weight of the bike... a VFR750 from 1990 should weigh quite a bit less than the 5th and 6th gens...

IIRC, the 3rd gen actually weighs more than the 4th, 5th and 6th gen bikes. 5th gen the lightest, 4th and 6th about the same, 3rd gen (1990-93) the heaviest.

Beck

95 VFR

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

These are both 929 shocks, the white spring ones came on the Erion versions of the 929 and yellow spings on the standard 929.

Picture104.jpg

Is the Erion Version any different?

These are both 929 shocks, the white spring ones came on the Erion versions of the 929 and yellow spings on the standard 929.

Is the Erion Version any different?

I'm not aware of any difference, but they do have different part numbers. I guess that could just indicate spring color? :blink:

I'm not sure how you could find out if they was any valving or spring rate difference. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I bought a used Penske for my VFR from a friend who ran it in his 2002 VFR. He states that it has an 1100 pound spring, but the guy weighs about 230 pounds.

Anyway I installed it and with the preload collar turned all the way to the top, I am only getting about 20 mm of sag, (I weigh 183 pound in street clothes). I am thinking this thing has a heavier spring than what he said.

Will try riding it a bit when weather permits to see how it feels, but I am thinking I will be re-springing it before the Texas Mac.

I bought a used Penske for my VFR from a friend who ran it in his 2002 VFR. He states that it has an 1100 pound spring, but the guy weighs about 230 pounds.

Anyway I installed it and with the preload collar turned all the way to the top, I am only getting about 20 mm of sag, (I weigh 183 pound in street clothes). I am thinking this thing has a heavier spring than what he said.

Will try riding it a bit when weather permits to see how it feels, but I am thinking I will be re-springing it before the Texas Mac.

I would guess your right in thinking it's a stiffer spring, as he should have been more in the 21-23kg (1178-1290lbs) range for that weight!

I'm 190-200 and am happy with the 19kg (1065lb) spring on my Ohlins. :wheel:

Anyone happen to measure the eye-to-eye length of the 929 shock? Can't find this dimension among the numerous threads on the topic of rear shock mods... can y'all confirm it has the same spring rate as the VTEC OEM shock as stated here. At least one person (dallasb) has installed one on his VTEC... care to amplify installation info? Difficulties? Remedies?

I probably really need something with a stiffer spring rate, but buying an F4i shock and having it resprung would increase the cost over here ridiculously and leave it undervalved, and remedying this would make it completely economically unviable.

So just considering swapping for a 929 shock, or a BB shock (stiffer spring), but would prefer the better internals and adjustments of the 929...

So many choices and so little cash...

Anyone happen to measure the eye-to-eye length of the 929 shock? confirm it has the same spring rate as the VTEC OEM shock as stated here.

So just considering swapping for a 929 shock, or a BB shock (stiffer spring), but would prefer the better internals and adjustments of the 929...

Well yes, 929 shock eye to eye is 11.280" .

And yes, the 929(only) has the same 15.3 kg spring rate.

A BB spring will not work on a F4/F4i or 929 shock(too long) but will work on the stock vfr shock.

The info I have on the BB spring rate is 16.8kg and bolting the the entire shock is easy on a vtec and would add a fair amount of rear ride height as I think it's .250" longer shock.

BR

Thanks Bailey... so about 286mm... that's way shorter, t'would be needing a 31mm spacer at the least...

Let me know if you need anything sourced out for you from this side of the pond!

I know you can get the 929 shock to work on a vtec because at least one guy did it and posted about it, but the F4i is and easier swap but does need some modding and spring change. sad.gif

theres a guy here that revalves and resprings the F4i shock for the vtec for around $250 I think.

btw if I remember right the vtec shock is like 314mm. :goofy:

I bought a 929 shock yesterday, $41 shipped.

I cant find much info on installing it on a vtec. I know it's been done.

Can anyone give more info on what is required.

I cant find much of anything. I hope i'm not opening a can of worms.

I scored a nice 929 shock for cheap so it's worth a shot.

Maybe if the pre-fab works out, I will do a how to for a vtec, maybe.

Member dallasb did this mod as stated in post #33 and I have asked him to post up his "how to" here. :angry:

• Member Contributer
I bought a 929 shock yesterday, $41 shipped.

I cant find much info on installing it on a vtec. I know it's been done.

Can anyone give more info on what is required.

The shock needs to be lengthened in order to fit the VFR. The conversion that I've been doing involves making a CNC machined lower clevis extension and machining the CBR shock to accept it. Once complete the CBR shock becomes a direct replacement for the original. Here are some pictures of what it looks like:

dsc01121_1.jpg

dsc01122_1.jpg

dsc01121_1.jpg

Jamie,

This is the exact opposite of where the mount extension needs to be trying to install a 929/954 shock on a Vtec. It is the reservoir clearance that is the biggest factor, trying to get it as low as possible is how it would work. This means the mount spacer NEEDS to be on the top, not bottom!

Is this set-up interchangeable top to bottom?

I have a 5th gen I'm about to do the top mount extension on ... (as in tonight...) I'll be using the stock clevis with the 929 dog bone end. Just have to find a longer bolt.

It's a pretty straight forward mod on the 5th gen

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=17268&hl=

Were working on a much tougher 6th gen install in this thread! :biggrin:

I have put the CBR929 shock on my '02, here is how I did it.

3 problems you run into:

1) Shock length is wrong, too short, I made a top mount like they are doing on the 5th gen and I think the F3 shocks, I don't remember the measurement, but it needed to be longer, and I like to to my own calculations anyway so I know it is correct. I also made a longer one to raise the tail of it

2) The brake proportioning valve bracket is in the way of the reservoir on the shock, you need to cut it and make a new piece to weld in. The picture trys to illustrate it. You have to at least undo the top subframe mount and pull this thing out of there. Cut it, weld a new piece in it, paint it, put it back in, sounds easy, it is a little work though. Sorry, no pics from my bike, it is a little work to pull out and didn't take any before I put it in.

gallery_4071_2768_810.gif

vfrmod.GIF

3) Shock reservoir hits the brake lines next to the rear cylinder head. There is no way to take a pic of this, but the reservoir is really close to the cylinder head, I just had to push the metal brake lines that were in the way up a little bit, not much room at all, but I did make it work.

I tried to flip around the reservoir, you would have to move/cut more stuff. Here is a pic of the compression adjuster, just requires a little longer flat head screw driver. Access to the preload is quite easy from the left side. Rebound adjuster is in the stock shock's position.

gallery_4071_2768_32110.jpg

CBR929 shock on VTEC, showing comp adjuster