Vtec Shock Options

Baileyrock

Vtec owners have from cheap shocks to top of the line Ohlins or Penske .

from left stock Vtec, F4, F3, Fox F2/F3 shocks

Picture686.jpg

Stock Vtec shock is 12.4688"(317mm) long w/ a 7.5" long spring.

CBR 929 shock is 11.281"(286.5mm)w/a 6.250" long spring(needs 30mm top mount spacer to use on vtec) and can be used on a Vtec with a mod to the rear brake support bracket bolted behind the shock on the back of the Frame. Member dallasb did this mod check post #74 here in this thread.

CBR F4/F4i shock is 12"(305.6MM) w/a 5.5" long spring and would only need a 11mm top mount spacer and stiffer spring depending on your weight.

I installed a FOX Twin Clicker off an CBR F3 on my vtec first, it would just get to the 12 3/8" at max (beyond) length adjustment(ride height). Better than stock shock but no where near as good as the other 3 brands.

CBR 1100XX(Blackbird)shock is a nice & cheap drop in shock for the vtec as it runs a stiffer 16.9kg spring and is 3-5mm longer at 320mm so it would jack up the rear a little to provide extra ground clearance and quicker turn-in. Maybe $50 and a straight bolt in!

Penske, Ohlins & ELKA all make new shock for the Vtec also from about $650-up.

I was running this Fox F2/F3 on my vtec with a stock spring rate(15.3 kg from a 929 shock), but decided to to upgrade to an Ohlins that came off a CBR F3. Here's the Ohlins next to a stock Vtec shock.

CBR F3 Ohlins vs stock Vtec shock

Picture689.jpg

I ended up running the stock or a 850 lb spring on the Ohlins at first, but after upgrading my front forks by having Phil at Aftershocks build my VFR forks I found I need (also advised by Phil) to increase my rear spring rate too. So I removed the stock again to install a different spring on the Ohlins, a 19.3 kg.

While it's out I took a shot of the top mount with a longer bolt(through frame) and the aluminum spacer I made to make up for the approx 1" shorter CBR Ohlins.

Here's the stock and modded mount w/spacer.

modified top shock mount- Vtec

shockmount002.jpg

I mounted the remote on a bracket that bolts to the back side of the left rear peg bracket.

Cbr F3 Ohlins installed

Picture340.jpg

A stock F3 or F4 shock can be used on a Vtec but with several issues. One is that they are sprung much lighter than a VFR and the pre-load adjuster in on the bottom of the shocks making adjustment a hassle, but not impossible. With a spring change and a new top mount spacer made you could have a fully adjustable shock that should work better than our stock Vtec's. If your less than 150 lbs a F4/F4i shock might be a great/cheap improvement for your Vtec with only needing an 11mm spacer to install it.

Now what is a great upgrade for the 5th Gen VFR (CBR 929)will not work as easily on our Vtecs because of clearance issues with the fixed remote.

This is using a CBR 929 (only) shock on your 98-01 VFR's and it even has the same 15.3 kg spring as the VFR. The 954 has the remote adjuster on the opposite side and causes some clearance problems and has a softer spring than the 929 so not the best choice for the 5th gen install.

These are both 929 shocks, the white spring ones came on the Erion versions of the 929 and yellow springs on the standard 929.

Picture104.jpg

Also check on Turtlecreeks F4i shock install on his Vtec after having Aftershocks rebuild/revalve and respring it!

• Like 2

Bailey, do you think the internals of an F4i shock shoud be changed in any way when coupled with a stiffer spring? I weigh just under 200, and would like to use my old F4i shock on the viffer.

You know I have never been in a rear shock, but I'm looking at trying to fit a firmer spring to one of the F3 or F4 shocks. I now have an extra 850 lb spring that might work ? :beer: As far as valving or re-valving the F4, it all depends on how high of a spring you go with. I would think it could handle the stock VFR rate, maybe a little more within it's adjustments. Much higher might be pushing it's capacity to dampen the spring? Stock F4 is like a 800 lb and our VFR's are 850 lb stock so that's not much difference IMO.

FotoMoto ran a F4 with stock F4 spring cranked w/full preload, said it felt pretty good but needed a stiffer spring.

Which is off the F2/3 shock? That spring won't fit the F4i shock, will it? It's a bit shorter? I also have a 600RR shock laying around, but I don't know what the specs are on it, i.e. spring length/rate.

Not sure, but I think so. This is a standard 6''x 2.225"x 850 lb spring and looks like you would have aprox. 3/8" of pre-load on the spring at full soft setting. The factory spring tapper down about 1/4 " on one end so a bigger seat may be needed?

F4 shock/ Eibach 850 lb spring

shockmount.jpg

I would not go to a shorter shock , this bikes cornering is grately effected by rear ride height.

No worries, I would never install a shorter shock unless I was lowering the bike and dropped the front the same amount. A spacer is needed at the top mount bracket to make up any length of a shorter shock like I show in my Ohlins install in this post ! :P

Yes was looking for this thread glade it's back :beer:

I have also found that any aftermarket shock that is made or comes off a VFR750 is straight bolt in replacement for VTEC (the standard 750 shock no good due to preload adjustment stem & the VTEC shock is better anyway).

VTEC shock length standard is 317.5mm

VFR750 shock length is 320mm

1mm extra added to shock length on all VFR'S works out to be about 3.3mm more ride hight rear, so 2.5mm difference is about what people shim there shock anyway.

Edited by zRoYz

Yes was looking for this thread glade it's back? :beer:

I have also found that any aftermarket shock that is made or comes off a VFR750 is straight bolt in replacement for VTEC (the standard 750 shock no good due to preload adjustment stem & the VTEC shock is better anyway).

VTEC shock length standard is 317.5mm

VFR750 shock length is 320mm

1mm extra added to shock length on all VFR'S works out to be about 3.3mm more ride hight rear, so 2.5mm difference is about what people shim there shock anyway.

Sounds good to me and thanks for sharing ! Many, but not all aftermarket shock have ride height adjust. too, which really makes it easy !

On Vtec shock length, I've never got that claimed 317.5mm(12.5") on the Vtec shock I've measured, there more like 315mm (12 3/8"). :pissed:

:thumbsup:

My new Ohlins rear spring just showed up and it's purdy.

Will install it tonight,but still waiting for my bodywork from the painter before I can ride it again! :unsure:

It's a Ohlins 01093-79/190 L445 which is aprox. 19.3 kg and 1086 lbs.

• Member Contributer

Yes I looked it up...

There are two drop in Ohlins shocks that have almost exactly the correct length and spec for the VFR.

One has a remote Preload Adjuster and the other has a threaded pre-load collar.

They are designated 46DRS (remote preload) and 46DR I think.

Length is 317.5mm, about 1/8" longer then stock, perfect to jack up the rear a bit. Stroke is 53.5mm.

I found them online in one place for $750 but the correct price appears to be closer to $850-900.

Looks like they are available for the 5th gen too.

Looks good to me, if I'm going to go to all the trouble to swap em out I want to get the bike nearly perfect the first time.

I might do it next year, depends on the cost to work over the forks too. I really want that remote preload adjuster though, I find it highly annoying that Honda gave the remote preload adjuster to ABS riders but not to the rest of us.

Do you care about remote comp/rebound adjust though?

I mess with the preload constantly, I've never really messed with my rebound once.  I set it like 1/8 turn higher then stock the first time I took the bike to the track and I've never touched it again.

It gets you a little more convenience then stock as you don't have to pull out any tools to adjust the rebound.

Me I'm just the opposite, I set the Sag once and never touch pre-load again. On the other hand I play with comp. on the remote quite often, I can just reach back and add or take out a few clicks. I may pull out a few clicks when I hit the highway or straighter section and click back in a little when I hit the twisties again.

It also offers less chance of over heating fade with the extra reservoir of goodies.

Once I get everything set-up right with my new spring and spend the time getting all the setting right, I may never really have to play with it again unless I do a track day or something. :P

• 2 weeks later...
I bought my Ohlins (CBR F3) on eBay for $300 and changed the spring ($100) and all I had to do was make a 1" spacer as mentioned here. I bought a Fox for like $225 before that.

Any aftermarket shock for a honda WITHOUT a fixed remote should work with a spacer and spring change !

Valuable information right there, I say! My F4i just gave up its shock tonight, which shall be shelved for a(hopefully very short) period of time until it gets a new spring and becomes a VFR part :salesman: Makes me really hope that I end up liking the 1000rr shock that's slated to go in the CBR... :joystick:

Guest Chris_VFR

I just went down to the local breaker/ Wrecker and have found a CBR900RR (up to and including the 919 edition) rear unit will fit a VTEC (6th Gen). both are 307mm long. This shock also fits a Blackbird, all 3 bikes share the same rear spring rate- (15kg/mm)

The 5th Gen can use the same shock, but will need a spacer shim on top of the shock shackle of approx 7mm. it also has the same spring rate.

so as an option, the 900RR fireblade shock is an easier fit, give you a remote reservoir and compression damping adjustment. I am unsure of damping, so I am going to fit it straight in and let you all know.

Photo's to follow.

I just went down to the local breaker/ Wrecker and have found a CBR900RR (up to and including the 919 edition) rear unit will fit a VTEC (6th Gen). both are 307mm long. This shock also fits a Blackbird, all 3 bikes share the same rear spring rate- (15kg/mm)

The 5th Gen can use the same shock, but will need a spacer shim on top of the shock shackle of approx 7mm. it also has the same spring rate.

Hey Chris, a few things or questions.

The XX Blackbird has a spring rate of 16kg if I'm not mistaken and is 317mm long. The Vtec shock is 315-317mm so if you use a 307mm shock you will need to shim it at least 8mm for use on the Vtec and the 5th gen shock is 324mm long so using this 919 shock(307mm?) would require a 17mm shim not 7mm. All VFR800's run a 15.3kg spring.

You are right on the Blackbird shock, it should bolt into the Vtec and would offer a slightly stiffer spring rate of 16kg (898lbs). I ran a XX shock on my 00 with a 1/4" spacer. :pissed:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

What to do?

OK, I have to replace my shock now. Rebuild/revalve/respring runs $400 and will leave me with no shock for over a week on my primary transportation.

WP 4014 Fusion with remote res and preload is $850. Ohlins 46HRCS is similar, but not sure if it will fit vtec. Ohlins 46DRS is $650 and it fits VTEC.

Which one should I get? Right now, I am slow, and ride in Florida. I should be moving to North GA in the next couple of months so will have good roads and should get better. I plan on doing some track days, but not racing. I know little about suspension other than that my shock sucks.

• 1 year later...
Guest v4bluey

I thought this might be the best place to post this.

A question or two for you knowledgeable people.

I am thinking of trying an F4i rear shock on my vtec. My weight and height are 145lb. and 5'6 1/2" so as you see I am smallish.

I have read here the F4i shock (at 12") is 3/8" or 10mm shorter than the Vtec at (12 3/8")and needs to be shimmed, no problem as I would prefer the bike lowered a bit.

The race tech site calculator tells me my rear spring for street use should be 13.63kg/mm on the F4i (14.33kg/mm for a vtec). This so happens to be near the F4i spring weight which is 14.2kg/mm.

1. Do you think it will be ok or would the extra weight of the vtec be a problem or are there some other possible problems I am unaware of?

Don't do much two up riding.

2. Can you twist the shock 180 degrees so the rebound adjuster and compression canister outlet are on the same side of the shock?

Thanks this site is a handy place.

Edited by v4bluey

I am thinking of trying an F4i rear shock on my vtec. My weight and height are 145lb. and 5'6 1/2" so as you see I am smallish.

I have read here the F4i shock (at 12") is 3/8" or 10mm shorter than the Vtec at (12 3/8")and needs to be shimmed, no problem as I would prefer the bike lowered a bit.

As long as you drop the front around the same amount this will be fine!

The race tech site calculator tells me my rear spring for street use should be 13.63kg/mm on the F4i (14.33kg/mm for a vtec). This so happens to be near the F4i spring weight which is 14.2kg/mm.

I would just run the stock F4i spring (very close to your needs)and save the money and hassle as most bikes are built for people like you.

1. Do you think it will be ok or would the extra weight of the vtec be a problem or are there some other possible problems I am unaware of?

Don't do much two up riding.

No worries IMO!

2. Can you twist the shock 180 degrees so the rebound adjuster and compression canister outlet are on the same side of the shock?

yes, I'm pretty you can just spin it.

Thanks this site is a handy place.

Sorry to be a pain Guys, Another question.

How do you adjust spring preload? I'm pretty sure by all the pic's i have seen that the standard Vtec tool wouldn't work!

Thanks in advance.

The F4i shock does Not have ideal pre-load adjuster location on the Vtec, but it's doing able as per FotoMoto. You would need a different adjuster, but you really only have to set it once(Sag) if you don't go back & forth from solo to 2-up or loaded touring. :P

i bought a spanner of ebay, set it once and never touched again as BR said.

Turtle, What i s this spanner like? I'm thinking I might need one as I do the pillion thing sometimes.

here is the one i purchased:

http://pitposse.stores.yahoo.net/psprsp.html

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
Sorry, Doug aka Foto Moto was the first to install both a F4i shock and 98-99 Catless headers on a Vtec(after I told him how of course) :P

NEVER trust anything Baileyrock types after, oh say, 2:30 in the afteroon. :wheel:

Picture366.jpg

Don't forget the Blackbird shock as on VTEC stock option.

P8150454.jpg

The Blackbird is on the left and the stock VTEC shock on the right (with an aftermarket spring).

The Blackbird shock doesn't have any extra adjustability over the VTEC shock, but it is slightly longer (higher ride height) and it has a stiffer spring (16.1 kg vs 15.3 kg).

The Blackbird shock doesn't have any extra adjustability over the VTEC shock, but it is slightly longer (higher ride height) and it has a stiffer spring (16.1 kg vs 15.3 kg).

Yes another good bolt in, but like mentioned min. adjustments and vtec quality. :pissed:

I actually installed one one my 2000 back in 01, but had to add a spacer.

• 1 month later...

As I stated in another thread, I was able to fit the 929 shock on my VTEC. It fit real close to the cylinder head and metal brake lines, but it fit. I did have to modify the bracket that holds one of the brake valve units. And now with a long screwdriver I can adjust the comp and rebound pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...
any idea what the #s on an ohlins spring mean?

01095-54/140 L346

i plan on putting it on my rebuilt fox shock. for my 94vfr rc30 replica.

Here ya go!

Shows thats a 7.1" 799lb spring! To soft for any VFR unless you weight a 100lbs. :wheel:

Ohlinsspringchart.jpg

Has anyone done this? Seems like it would quicken steering a little and help with laden with luggage/passenger.Is this a direct bolt in?

Bill

Yes, I've done it. It is a direct bolt in.

any idea what the #s on an ohlins spring mean?

01095-54/140 L346

i plan on putting it on my rebuilt fox shock. for my 94vfr rc30 replica.

Here ya go!

Shows thats a 7.1" 799lb spring! To soft for any VFR unless you weight a 100lbs. +1.gif

am dead tired.. and buzzed cant read the chart well. are you sure? i told the guy selling the springs on ebay . i ride a vfr 2 up most of the time!!!! ggggrrrrr :goofy:

The stock VFR800 spring is 15.3 kg, or 857 lbs. So your 799 lbs spring is actually softer. sad.gif

For comparison, i'm running a 1050 lbs spring on my Elka shock and i weight about 190 lbs.