Vtec Shock Options

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, Misterbish said:

Thanks for confirming the fitment.

You are welcome. 

One thing that might give you grief, though is the remote preload hose and knob. I'm not positive that they are routed to the same side and of similar lengths. 

The Bird's shock is a confirmed OK fit on the 6th Gen.

Hi

Yeh i did wander about the remote preload, i found the info with the Blackbird rear shock off this site, here's hoping it will be an improvement in the handling being 2 up with luggage(very light front end), if not i will source a VFR1200 rear shock and try that, for some reason VFR1200 shocks can be had for a lot cheaper than a half decent Blackbird shock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Alaskan said:

Anyone know what a used Ohlins is worth?

I'd say it depends on what model and how good a shape it's in...

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Let’s get this old thread restarted! So Jaime has a new shock he’s touting as his flagship line of shocks. The BD40 line of shocks. Has anyone tried the new shock yet? I’m also confused as to which fork upgrade the Vtec has available from DMR Suspensions. Do you select cartridge forks or damping rod forks? I guess I’ll have to call Jamie to find out. I’ll let you guys know.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The 6th gen has cartridge forks, they just lack some external adjustments that are available on flagship models. I believe the intent of Jamie's cartridge upgrade is to have a drop-in cartridge that he will custom valve for you. I can tell you from experience that between custom shim stacks, modifying valving and myriad oil options, fork valving is a complicated subject!

I can't speak to Jamie's own shocks, but based on the magic he worked on the shock he revalved for me, I'm sure they're excellent.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, wiremanjon said:

Let’s get this old thread restarted! So Jaime has a new shock he’s touting as his flagship line of shocks. The BD40 line of shocks. Has anyone tried the new shock yet? I’m also confused as to which fork upgrade the Vtec has available from DMR Suspensions. Do you select cartridge forks or damping rod forks? I guess I’ll have to call Jamie to find out. I’ll let you guys know.

I installed Jamie's BD40 rear shock and BD20 fork cartridge kit on my 5th Gen this season. They are amazing, completely transforms the bike and the fit and finish is top notch.

More here - 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but I have asked Jaimie some similar newbie questions and he has answered them quickly and very thoroughly! I’m just waiting for my money to catch up with my desires and I’ll be doing the full bd40/20 setup on my 6G.

e.

• Member Contributer

I sent Jamie my forks for him to install his kit and also got one of his rebuilt CBR shocks... worth every penny, and he was great to deal with and for any support after the fact.  Also no issues shipping from Canada to him and back.  I'd do it again and I'd have full confidence in buying his new product.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 7/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, adkfinn said:

I installed Jamie's BD40 rear shock and BD20 fork cartridge kit on my 5th Gen this season. They are amazing, completely transforms the bike and the fit and finish is top notch.

More here - 

Sorry to revive and old thread but I want to do the same for my 01 for the twistys and my 02 for 2 up riding.

Do you mind sharing how much this set you back?  I know there are many options like having Jamie rework a rear from a different model (929 seems to be the go to, but Blackbird as well?).

Cheers!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Jelorian said:

Sorry to revive and old thread but I want to do the same for my 01 for the twistys and my 02 for 2 up riding.

Do you mind sharing how much this set you back?  I know there are many options like having Jamie rework a rear from a different model (929 seems to be the go to, but Blackbird as well?).

Cheers!

It was $1,220 for the whole shebang (I find it to be very worth it). The rear BD40 was $675 at the time, but it was a release special. Jamie's current pricing is here: http://daughertymotorsports.com/honda/

Feel free to email him with questions - I've always found him to be responsive and supportive.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, adkfinn said:

It was $1,220 for the whole shebang (I find it to be very worth it). The rear BD40 was $675 at the time, but it was a release special. Jamie's current pricing is here: http://daughertymotorsports.com/honda/

Feel free to email him with questions - I've always found him to be responsive and supportive.

I had long conversation with Jamie today.  Good guy for sure.  I was debating the F4i front end conversion but decided I wanted to keep things mostly stock.

I will most likely do the new BD series on my 01 and the revalve/spring and rework the rear on the 02.

He gave me a ballpark figure of $1300 for the BD solution for my 01 and $650 for the 02.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Aside from the suspension bits from Jamie Daugherty, what else is out there?  Obiously if money were no object I could go Ohlins but I hear Racetech springs are an option as well?  While I'm already leaning in Jamie's direction I also want to do my due diligence and make sure I'm making a good investment.

• Member Contributer
55 minutes ago, Jelorian said:

Aside from the suspension bits from Jamie Daugherty, what else is out there?  Obiously if money were no object I could go Ohlins but I hear Racetech springs are an option as well?  While I'm already leaning in Jamie's direction I also want to do my due diligence and make sure I'm making a good investment.

As I understand it you purchased a VFR. A week later you again purchased a VFR. You're committed. Just make sure that suspension fits your weight and riding style. Jamie or Ohlins, can't go wrong.

IMG_4103.JPG

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

As I understand it you purchased a VFR. A week later you again purchased a VFR. You're committed. Just make sure that suspension fits your weight and riding style. Jamie or Ohlins, can't go wrong.

Indeed I did.  Actually I purchased them 4 days apart! LOL!  While I am a firm believer that suspension is one of the most important things to be addressed, I still want to get the best bang for the buck.  I am sure that spending $1300 with Jamie on his new BD product will get me one of the better setups as far as suspension, I also need to realize that $1300 is more than 1/3rd the total cost of the motorcycle.  With Ohlins even more.  I know I can't go wrong with either.  I guess it all boils down to what I really want to invest in both bikes.  I will always deal with getting suspension setup correctly before doing any engine or cosmetic mods.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I used racetech fork springs, f4i cartridges and Jamie's rear shock. It took a shit load of head scratching and a lot researching old posts to get the damping right on those cartridges and I feel like I got lucky to get what I did as quickly as I did. The two options as I see it are - spend money, or use a lot of time and maybe get lucky and not spend quite as much money. I wish I could give you better advice, but even the shortcut isn't cheap. 

• Member Contributer

I have a penski shock that was set up for my bike and weight. I had the valving and or shim stack adjusted by a suspension tuner during at a service a few years ago, and seams to be set up great.

I Had race tech springs and valves and thought it was better then stock, but when I got the adjustable fork inserts built by Jamie a few years ago, for me that made the biggest difference.

• Member Contributer

Hello, I bought Jamie’s fork cartridge kit and BD-40 shock for my 2006 Abs. I just installed the shock. Scratching my head over how to mount the remote canister. Anyone have any good ideas and pictures? I found one solution by someone, I guess this is my best bet?

CE4CE19A-61ED-4F63-B73A-07FD32D0C569.jpeg

23B6EBA2-1547-4952-A8CE-DB53D730B3E8.jpeg

DA7B3348-EF6B-480A-AC55-24463668D7BA.jpeg

AE143044-9E7D-4C70-ADBD-43ECEA1E6EC6.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Yep that was my solution and still holding strong years later.

THe only reason i had to chop into the battery tray was that with a passenger on the bike, i found the reservoir [mounted in same location but prior to cutting the battery tray] was pushing on the brake lines.

This solved it.  Yeah i should really invest in some nicer clamps instead of zip ties but when you are standing looking at the bike you barely notice it.

pic from a couple weeks ago

20200519_123018.thumb.jpg.74915a02bb0c3ef4a4550f895010731f.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 10:31 PM, Jelorian said:

Indeed I did.  Actually I purchased them 4 days apart! LOL!  While I am a firm believer that suspension is one of the most important things to be addressed, I still want to get the best bang for the buck.  I am sure that spending $1300 with Jamie on his new BD product will get me one of the better setups as far as suspension, I also need to realize that $1300 is more than 1/3rd the total cost of the motorcycle.  With Ohlins even more.  I know I can't go wrong with either.  I guess it all boils down to what I really want to invest in both bikes.  I will always deal with getting suspension setup correctly before doing any engine or cosmetic mods.

Check out the classifieds now, I have and Ohlins rear shock and a full set of Race Tech gold valves for your 02 for only $500 plus shipping.

Funny I started this thread way back in 06 and it's still a good one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/18/2020 at 3:29 AM, rhoderage said:

Yep that was my solution and still holding strong years later.

THe only reason i had to chop into the battery tray was that with a passenger on the bike, i found the reservoir [mounted in same location but prior to cutting the battery tray] was pushing on the brake lines.

This solved it.  Yeah i should really invest in some nicer clamps instead of zip ties but when you are standing looking at the bike you barely notice it.

pic from a couple weeks ago

20200519_123018.thumb.jpg.74915a02bb0c3ef4a4550f895010731f.jpg

5B76D179-D684-4708-8773-554564300130.jpeg

• Member Contributer

That'll work!  I like the black remote canister, looks sleek

At some point I removed the front zip tie showing in my old pic above.... the other two are relatively 'straight' and are not noticeable

No issues in the 4 years or so that I've had the shock

• 2 years later...

Can anyone speak to the blackbird shock's damping when it's installed a VFR? I've got my eye on one currently.

I've got 34k miles on all stock components. I had to fix a leaking fork seal last weekend and now with new bushings and 10w oil the front end is drastically improved from where it was. The front end eats up undulations and expander gaps.

This had the side effect of making the 34k mile worn shock feel like junk. The front end will float over the bump and then then the rear wheel will go over the same bump and feel like someone kicked me square in the buttocks through the seat.