Vtec Shock Options

Baileyrock

I have no experience or knowledge of ELKA myself, I've always used Penske and Ohlins on my bikes.

We did have a ELKA group buy years back, the shocks seems very nice from member comments but they (ELKA) had no clue on proper spring rates. If I remember correctly most were shipped with the stock 850lb spring on them.

For some reson the suspension industry was littered with faulty spring rate calculators for VFR rears!!!

JD was using a bad one as well, but after some discussion he modified his calculator years ago and offers his customers much more accurate rear spring rates as a result.

• Member Contributer

I have ELKA's on both bikes and really like them ,spring rates seemed to be very good for me anyway .They are easy to set up and seem to work well right out of the box ,

• 3 months later...

A good friend gave me a rear 99f4 shock. Im somewhere between 140-145lbs without gear. This is mainly used for high speed track and Im wondering what the correct spring I need for track use and if it needs to be revalved? Also would swapping the vtec spring onto the f4 shock be ok?

Edited by klrtovfr

A good friend gave me a rear 99f4 shock. Im somewhere between 140-145lbs without gear. This is mainly used for high speed track and Im wondering what the correct spring I need for track use and if it needs to be revalved? Also would swapping the vtec spring onto the f4 shock be ok?

At your weight I wouldn't think a revalve would be needed, but be sure that 99 shock doesn't need to be rebuilt.

Pretty sure the F4 Shock had a 14kg spring where the VFR has a 15.3kg Spring. If the VFR spring will fit I would install it.

Have you or do you plan on any fork work?

Guest Kris78

I have read a little on this post though I'm still unsure about what spring rate / shock I should use.

So any shock / coil to person weight guru's please chime in and share your thoughts.

I am 115kg ( 253 pound) my VFR800 2003 is all stock , I have a shock from a CBR1100XX black bird .... Will the black bird shock be ok to use ??

I am 6ft tall and my riding skills are ok ,I don't race on the tracks though I don't mind throwing it into some bends when the path is clear.

What's people's thoughts

I have read a little on this post though I'm still unsure about what spring rate / shock I should use.

So any shock / coil to person weight guru's please chime in and share your thoughts.

I am 115kg ( 253 pound) my VFR800 2003 is all stock , I have a shock from a CBR1100XX black bird .... Will the black bird shock be ok to use ??

I am 6ft tall and my riding skills are ok ,I don't race on the tracks though I don't mind throwing it into some bends when the path is clear.

What's people's thoughts

Kris,

The XX shock would be an improvement over stock as it's got a 16.9 kg spring if I remember correctly, BUT at your weight if you were to set up the bike properly something in the range of 22-24 KG and at least 1.1kg fork springs would be in the ball park.

I think the XX shock is slightly longer then the 6th gen shock as well, so for starters I would slap it in the bike and set sag as best as you can and it would be an improvement over stock, but not the same as setting it up for your weight. Sounds like your not a ripper, so the XX shock would be an improvement over stock.

BR

Guest Kris78

Yeah the XX shock is a little longer than stock VFR.

Hmm ok something more to look into for setting up suspension.

Thank you for the reply and more onsite to suspension.

Yeah the XX shock is a little longer than stock VFR.

Hmm ok something more to look into for setting up suspension.

Thank you for the reply and more onsite to suspension.

That extra length won't hurt and will actually quicken the steering some.

Search rear shock change out and slap that XX in there. Might take an hour and you can always go back if you don't like it for some reason.

BR

Do you guys know of a dummies guide for setting up suspension, this is my 2nd bike, 1st sporty bike, and I have no clue. I just know that the adjustability of the stock shocks are limited. I've literally been riding it as I bought it.

• Member Contributer

Do you guys know of a dummies guide for setting up suspension, this is my 2nd bike, 1st sporty bike, and I have no clue. I just know that the adjustability of the stock shocks are limited. I've literally been riding it as I bought it.

Youtube has lots of videos on suspension set up that should help you.

• Member Contributer

Not a dummies guide but well worth taking a look. This is after all, a "bible"

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/231-racetech-suspension-bible/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kris78

Not only setting up suspension ,changing the rear shock ... Is it a hard job and what sort of time frame to do this job ?

Edited by Kris78

• Member Contributer

Not only setting up suspension ,changing the rear shock ... Is it a hard job and what sort of time frame to do this job ?

It's not a hard job per se, but can be a little frustrating, especially if doing it alone. The two hardest parts of removing and installing is getting the shock in/out of the hole in the swingarm, particialarly if the exhaust is still in place. The catalytic converter is what makes it hard, it's right in the way of direct removal of the shock. When installing, other than the forementioned, getting the top mount bolt aligned with the hole in the frame. This can be a PITA, however if you have a helper it makes this part a little easier.

I helped fellow member Duccmann replace his shock and I want to say it took us a little more than 2 hours, maybe a little more. That being said, I have done this before and was familiar with the process. Doing it solo and not having done it before could take the better part of an afternoon. The key is to remove the suspension components at the bottom of the shock (triangles and dog bone), remove the rear wheel and have a jack or blocks so the you can raise and lower the swingarm. The latter is crucial when trying to get the shock removed and installed.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, Saoirse said:

What would I need to do to make a blackbirds shock fit in a 5th gen?

You'll need to shim the top mount about 6 mm (319 -> 325 mm) to compensate for the length difference.

Other than that, it should bolt on with no issues. 

The Bird's shock also has a slightly shorter stroke so you'll lose a bit of wheel travel but it's travel you don't use under 99% of riding circumstances so no big deal IMO.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Saoirse said:

I suppose that could just be done by adding washers to the top bolt?

Correct. I'm not 100% sure I recall correctly but I think the stock top bolt is long enough for 6 mm.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 11/25/2016 at 11:52 PM, Saoirse said:

Well I decided to brave the cold and it's not too bad once you're working!!  have the old shock out, took me about an hour, what held me back was the bolt at the back of the engine for that pivot arm, this job would be a lot easier if the exhaust header pipes weren't in the way!!

anyway I managed to wrestle it out,old bolts are very dry so I'll coat them with some heavy duty grease,

so now I'm going to throw a few washers on top of the blackbirds shock bolt and try and put her all back together, I was always better at taking things apart though:goofy:

005.jpg

006.jpg

I recognise that shock!:wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, Misterbish said:

Hi All

Does anyone know if a VFR1200 2011 rear shock fit into a 6 gen 2004 800

Thanks in advance

They are not identical but close enough that the 1200 should be usable. 

The mounting points are compatible, AFAIK.

Here's the data from Öhlins for the 6th Gen:

Screenshot_2017-06-01-16-44-15.jpg.e29e208ac3bae1a5ae109c3343468154.jpg

And for the 1200:

Screenshot_2017-06-01-16-45-33.jpg.5d67a9c648998b69cd54371a3794cf03.jpg

- Longer OAL will raise the back about 1/2".

- Shorter stroke might reduce wheel travel a bit but I don't see that as a real issue.

- Slightly heavier spring which is a boon unless you are a horse jockey. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Many thanks for the quick reply, i just took delivery of a Blackbird rear shock and was wandering if i should of gone down the VFR1200 route, basically because its off a newer bike and should have less miles on it, also im sure i read somewhere that the spring is stiffer than the Blackbird.

Thanks for confirming the fitment.