Need a replacement R/R

Guest remy

My '98 left me sitting yesterday. It had been acting up for a couple weeks now, battery was going dead on long trips, but fine on short rides. It finally bit the dust, the bike just died, wouldn't bump start, nothing. I looked through all the R/R threads I could, and am 99% sure it is that. Where did ya'll get your replacements from? I found the OEM Honda PN, but was wondering if anyone got them from aftermarket companies? The reason I ask, is b/c I'm stationed in Italy, and getting one from a local Honda dealer will be kind of expensive, and who knows if they'll even order the right part. I am hoping to find a website where I can order one from. Thanks for the help.

Other people have "upgraded" to R/R's from other bikes, like Yamahas and Suzukis. These would be easy to ebay for a few bucks, but I can't remember which one to tell you to look for, sorry. sad.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
Other people have "upgraded" to R/R's from other bikes, like Yamahas and Suzukis. These would be easy to ebay for a few bucks, but I can't remember which one to tell you to look for, sorry. sad.gif

I replaced a stuffed unit on my '96 with a secondhand one off a scrapped Yam R1 2 years ago, no problems since. These are units made by (I think) Mitsui Corp. and are, as far as I can tell, some of the more reliable units out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Have the battery load tested too, before you install the new RR. My RR failure took out the battery, consquently it failed the load test during diagnosis.

Archived