Cigarette Lighter vs. Powerlet

Guest gps

I'm looking to install a power outlet (presumably after an aux. fusebox) for my satelite radio and maybe a radar detector (for use where legal).

I get the impression that a powerlet is smaller than a cig. lighter. Why? Can someone enlighten me?

I have basic electrical knowledge/ability/competance and any info is appreciated.

Guest kerplode
I get the impression that a powerlet is smaller than a cig. lighter.  Why?  Can someone enlighten me?

Uhh...It's smaller 'cause it's a different form-factor than a cigarette lighter plug :huh:

There's all manner of adaptors available, though. Check out their website

Guest Claude
I'm looking to install a power outlet (presumably after an aux. fusebox) for my satelite radio and maybe a radar detector (for use where legal).

I get the impression that a powerlet is smaller than a cig. lighter.  Why?  Can someone enlighten me?

I have basic electrical knowledge/ability/competance and any info is appreciated.

A powerlet outlet is smaller than a cigarette lighter. It's also known as BMW or John-Deere style. Wiring it up is just as easy as a cigarette lighter.

FWIW you can get the universal john deere kit (yes, at the tractor dealer) or a specific powerlet kit that fits into your steering stem. Kinda trick, and one of my to-do's for this summer.

• Member Contributer

I was planing to do the powerlet kit, but at $100 for all of the stuff I wanted I couldn't justify it. All I wanted in the end was a cig lighter in my tank bag. I am in the process of making up a connector and a cig lighter system in my tank bag. Hopefully next week I'll have some pictures and a how to that you can read. So far I have $10 invested and really am done.

so if all i wanted to do was provide power to my ipod - i should get a cigarette type adapter instead of one of the powerlet kits?

Yep. I put one on the inside panel on the left. I can either use it for my GPS or to charge anything else I might have with me (rechargable batteries, cell phone, etc.) while it's in the tank bag. Powerlet just seemed a little too specialized for me. I got the cigarette lighter outlet at radio shack for $6.

• Member Contributer

Does that Radio Shack lighter have a weather proof cover? Might have to do that too. Thanks! Back in high school, anything I added to my car electric-wise, I just ran the wires to the fuse box, pulled a random fuse, stuck the bare wire ends in and replaced the fuse to hold the wire in. Not text book but it always worked and never seemed to hurt anything. Surely there is a reason NOT to do that with the bike? Hillbilly electrician here........ :D

That's funny! I just found out I'm a hillbilly electrician too.

It has a rubber cover, strapped directly to it, that covers it. On the left side there was a good spot to ground it under the tank tether. I wanted to tap a switched hot wire for the positive side but was too anxious to put it on there and ended up running the hot all the way to the battery.

• Member Contributer

I originally purchased 2 Powerlet sockets- one front left panel and one rear set. The rear set socket is still there and powers the heated vest. I purchased the font left panel socket to power the GPS and also purchased the adapter to plug in the standard socket into the smaller Jasteck socket. The adapter is quite long and flops around- it's not designed to be low profile at all. It was there for a short time and I finally put in a standard ciarette lighter socket and it works really well. It's low profile too and was purchased at Walmart. It's not waterproof but I cover it when I wash the bike and have never had a problem in hard rain.

VFRMike.

I find that the Powerlet/BMW style connector makes a more positive electrical connection over a standard cigarette-style connector.

Archived