ST1300 battery for VTEC??

actucker

My battery is done on my 2002. I seem to recall some talk about replacing with a ST1300 spec battery for increased capacity. I did a search and didn't come up with anything. Does the ST1300 battery fit in the 2002 VFR? Does anyone know of any sales on battery's going on now?

Thanks!

I got a new battery yesterday. I searches on the computer and found local stores called batteries plus. I found it while searching for Yuasa. It gave me directions to the neares store and I bought a gel battery for 101 out the door and had it in my bike in about 1 hour including the trip to get it. The battery is made by yuasa (has the name on it) but was sold as a different brand (motocross) Identical to the stocker.

My battery is done on my 2002.  I seem to recall some talk about replacing with a ST1300 spec battery for increased capacity.  I did a search and didn't come up with anything.  Does the ST1300 battery fit in the 2002 VFR?  Does anyone know of any sales on battery's going on now?

Thanks!

Yes, it fits right in, no mods required. Plug and play.

Yours is a YTZ-12S, the ST1300 is a YTZ-14S

On a 5th gen, you need a 3/4" spacer underneath the battery, but not a VTEC.

• Member Contributer

Interesting....looking on http://www.motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/ I find the following differences between the YTZ12S and the YTZ14S:

Model : YTZ12S Sealed Battery

Specifications

*12 volt 11Ah

*Powerful 210 cold cranking amps

*6"L x 3 7/16"W x 4 3/8"H 9Lbs.

Model : YTZ14-S Sealed Battery

Specifications

*12 volt 11.2 amp hour

*Powerful 230 cold cranking amps

*(size not noted)

The 14-S is about $10 cheaper. That's pretty much it. an extra 10 cranking Amps won't make much of a difference if it's not goign to start anyway, and I'm not sure having an extra 200mA/h is worth anything, unless you're REALLY strapped for power.... :rolleyes:

...so is this the upgrade of choice to save $10?

EDIT: according to the pics on the site I mentioned above....the positive terminals are on opposite ends! (does this make a difference in the VFR application?)

EDIT(2): Nevermind. The people on the website are STUPID. The '+' indicator of the VFR version is on the wrong side....my B.

Thanks!

-vfrngtp

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Bump. Foolio can prolly help, too, Ron.

• 1 year later...

Okay I took the plunge and installed the Yuasa YTZ14S

exact fit, except 20 more cranking amps and .2volt more reserve power, for $20 more.

Its a No brainer if your bike is used alot , a much better product.

Plus the Batteries Plus web site shows the 14s weighs 2 lbs less at 5 lbs, the 12s is 7.6 lbs! That's like getting 1/4 hp too! :biggrin:

Battery plus? I'll have to look at them , i know the yuasa 14 is heavier than the yuasa 12

generic 14's might not be an exact fit, I know westco's 14 generic are larger than the yuasa 14

FYI the batteryplus are generics , they come up short in comparison Yausa ratings. If someone want s a generic, that's fine. But get the real thing , it works well IMO

FYI the batteryplus are generics , they come up short in comparison Yausa ratings. If someone want s a generic, that's fine. But get the real thing , it works well IMO

As mentioned above Batteries Plus had the following at his location " The battery is made by yuasa (has the name on it) but was sold as a different brand (motocross) Identical to the stocker. :goofy:

As mentioned above Batteries Plus had the following at his location " The battery is made by yuasa (has the name on it) but was sold as a different brand (motocross) Identical to the stocker. :goofy:

that Motorcross yuasa battery is the good one, this is their generics, if we are talking the same place

http://www.batteriesplus.com/products/59-C...ASH-2002/1.aspx

• Member Contributer

The OEM ST1300 battery is made by Yuasa and is a "factory sealed" AGM battery, which means you could mount it on its side, if you wanted to. They also come fully charged and can be air freighted, etc. You can get identical batteries from Yuasa, Honda and other places.

However, you can also get batteries of the same configuration, size, etc. that are the "traditional" AGM type, i.e., they ship with a separate acid pack and you need to fill, seal and charge them before use. These are also sealed (once you add the acid), but are not recommended for sideways mounting.

They are both AGM (absorbed glass matt), which is a kind of VRLA (valve-regulated lead acid), but they are slightly different.

Ciao,

Archived